What would be the best tip you can give to a newbie to this genre?

Discussion in 'Sim Racing' started by FuZyOn, Sep 13, 2015.

1. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

I would personally advise them to find a car that fits their playstyle and stick with it, they'll learn how to drive it better and better over the time. Also, they should go ahead and have fun, that's the most important thing! :p

2. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

My most important tip is to not waste money immediately as the options get unlocked with progress. Often, I'll buy some parts or cars that cost a lot instead of just saving up for cars that are two levels up, and it end up having to save up for both when I could just as easily have skipped one class and spent the money on upgrading an already better vehicle.

3. Susime

Susime Active Member

I'd say this.

Racing games, especially good ones and ones that give you some degree of customisation can be a lot of fun while plenty of challenge in mastering the car and the places where you're racing it.

4. TheViper

TheViper Member

Pick a car that they can grow accustom to. A lot of times it is best to not go with the fastest since it lacks control. Then there are times when you are better that you can experiment with going fast.

5. Denis Hard

Denis Hard Member

My advice to someone new to racing games is Practice. You don't get to be an expert in one day. It takes time. Test as many cars as you can. Choose speed, good handling — anything — and find what works best for you. Once you feel you are ready to race and win . . . go for it!

6. Susime

Susime Active Member

This is great advice.

Practice all you can and learn your car and the tracks your facing, then go up against some oponents. Also what might help is watch videos on Youtube of other people playing and that may give some ideas of what to and what not to do.

Denis Hard likes this.
  7. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

Yeah I always go for the fastest one myself but I found it's much better to get a feel of the handling of the game first before venturing out into the harder to control cars.

8. rajesh1209

rajesh1209 Member

I would firstly recommend him to learn to drive a car in any game. I would advise him to drive cars in the free-drive mode without any races. After he becomes a pro in driving the car, he can now win races and have fun! :cool:

9. erook7878

erook7878 Active Member

I would suggest playing some of the more fun games like Need For Speed first. Some games like GT with really accurate driving physics can be a turn off for some players. it can be a shock, especially if you are used to GTA or Need For Speed driving physics.

10. Potausen

Potausen Member

My advice for the beginners would be to play their games with a racing wheel. If it has force feedback it's even better. I just don't find racing games good anymore without a decent wheel and pedal combination.

11. Chocoo

Chocoo New Member

Ease yourself into the game. Don't go for the highest difficulty right away, start simple and work your way up. This helps you get better and not throw your controller across the room. Also, experiment with the different cars. Try to find one that suits you best, and stick with it. Give everything a chance until you know for sure.

12. ZXD123

ZXD123 Member

Practice makes perfect, and learn the maps first before going to an online match against the pros. It is not worth it to jump right in as you might be made fun of and you would probably get criticized for it as well. haha!

13. spence88

spence88 Member

Yeah, I agree. "Have fun" is probably the best tip you can give to a newbie. If he wants to play competitively though, that might not be the best. For the best one would now be, "practice". Each racing has its own mechanics, so I think one needs to first practice a lot to get a feel of the game. Mastery will follow :)

14. Squigly

Squigly Active Member

Have fun, and stick to auto transmission. Different games have different degrees of steering so it's hard to give advice.

15. Locoton22

Locoton22 Member

Well great I read some tips I could use for myself, such as sticking to the auto transmission which helps a lot when you don't have that much of experience to these kind of games and also the practice, practice is key people say.

16. tgthewriter1

tgthewriter1 Member

The best tip for newbie in street racing is to avoid hitting cars. When you hit a car, you are probably going to lose the race. In racing games, game developers will always throw in a car at the last possible second. Watch out for cars when racing.

17. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

You're right. When I first started playing more complex racing games all my friends were always hyping up using manual transmission so I decided to try and master it myself but I just ended up losing even more. Nowadays I just stick to automatic as I don't feel like it makes for that much difference at least for me.

18. Denis Hard

Denis Hard Member

Another tip for newbies.

Don't buy expensive racing gear. You don't need a racing chair, racing wheel, pedals, etc. Sure there'll make racing feel somewhat real but as they are quite expensive you can do without them but still enjoy as much as everyone else.

19. raceman998

raceman998 Member

I would suggest a newbie to start collecting the best cars since you get the first car. You know, collecting cars in a game is cool and it feels like a real collection. The newbie would enjoy collecting the cars. I would also teach him some basic of driving.

20. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I agree. I think most racing games still rely a bit more on faster cars than on technique so having that edge would be a good way to win more. I usually skip the mid level cars if I can so I can just save up and buy the most expensive tiers if I can but some games don't allow crossovers from different tiers.