What was the first racing game you remember playing?

Discussion in 'Sim Racing' started by Ghost Rider, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider Member

The very first console that I have ever owned was the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES). It was an 8-bit console which was capable of delivering games with crappy graphics but I loved it nonetheless. The first racing game that I remember playing is a game on the NES called Road Fighter. [​IMG]
    It was a racing game that featured a bird's eye view of the race. Pretty cool for its time.

2. ddrmario123

ddrmario123 New Member

The first racing game I played was Mario Kart for the Nintendo DS. It was pretty fun because I got to race a lot of my friends. There were also a lot of courses and routes to play in. I loved the idea of having those little mini-games too, so the game doesn't just focus solely on racing. Also, the ability to race a ghost of yourself to see if you could beat your record time in a course.

3. CelTek

CelTek Member

Hah, I remember that. I'm guessing you're around 30 too? I think the first one I remember playing was the one with motorbikes and weapons? I want to say Road Rash. I just checked, and I was indeed thinking of Road Rash. I would have been about eight years old at the time!

4. Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider Member

Haha, close. I'm in my late 20's. What console was Road Rash released? I never played the game and I think that I missed a whole lot of fun. It sounds like a primitive vehicular combat game. Anyway, aside from Road Fighter, Excite Bike was also one of the earliest racing games that I played. It also featured motorbikes. It was cool.

5. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I remember playing Outrun at arcades a few times, after that, my memory's just pretty much blank up to the point of playing Road Rash on the Genesis. I probably have played some of the more "generic" racing games, and I do have some sort of vague memory of playing an F1 type racing game on the NES, but that's about as much as I can tell about it. Road Rash was pretty fun and was the one that stood out in my memory the most, I really wish they would reboot it, along with everything else good back then. :D

6. hempwick

hempwick New Member

I remember playing Lotus II recs. I played this game a lot, and it really brigns back some very old memories! Another game I remember first playing was Road Rash III. I was quite addicted to this, I think the ability to knock other riders off the bike with whips was pretty cool.

7. Chaos

Chaos Member

My first racing game was NFS Porsche probably the best driving simulator ever released. I first played this game in 2000 at an internet cafe, and we used to skip school and race in championships with my friends. Great game even today!

8. slinky21

slinky21 New Member

The first one I ever played was Crash Team Racing on the PlayStation, I believe. I loved that game so much. I think it was the first video game I ever beat. My brother and I spent so many hours on CTR. We even bought that weird PlayStation accessory that allowed for 4-players, just for Crash.

9. hydrlon

hydrlon New Member

The first racing game I ever played was either mario kart or this weird game called krazy racers to the gameboy advanced SP.

10. TheViper

TheViper Member

The first racing game I played was Burnout. The concept to me was just amazing. The runner up would have to be Mario Kart 64. There are just some games you play that will never get old.

11. jbepp

jbepp Member

I think my first racing game was Mario kart 64. I remember playing it with my cousin and his friends.

12. Akiyama

Akiyama New Member

The first racing game I ever played was either super mario kart for the super nintendo, or pole position for the PS1.

Both bring back fond memories though.

Akiyama

13. Oakster

Oakster Member

My first racing game was Road Rash, not sure on what console, it's a shame that series stopped, those games were lots of fun.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  14. msreebaybay

msreebaybay Member

The first actually racing game I remember playing was this game I had on Playstation 2 called Ford racing. At the moment I had that game, it was actually fun and it had some great graphics. I have always been a fan of racing games they just seem to get boring to me quickly.

15. rossonomous

rossonomous Member

Midnight club was the first I remember playing. It was on my cousins PC.

16. fireinyourwords

fireinyourwords Member

If Spy Hunter counts, that was the first racing game I remember playing. All the oil spills, the semi truck you could drive into, I was terrible at it, but I loved it. I wish we still had that thriving arcade scene today.

17. 4justice

4justice Member

I'm an old schooler so the first racing game I have memory of playing was on the NES. To be honest, I can't exactly remember which I played first between RC Pro Am and Excitebike. But I can sure enough remember my NES got some good use out of both games.

18. msreebaybay

msreebaybay Member

The first racing game I remember playing was Midnight Club, it is one of my all time favorites, and was overall a great game. I can't remember playing another racing game before this.

19. Timeisrelative

Timeisrelative New Member

I remember playing a old racing game on a hand held console, which I cannot remember the name of. But I also played Need for speed underground. That I still consider a fun game, I also play it some times for the memories.

20. jordanmc97

jordanmc97 New Member

I remember a game I think on the PS1/PS2, it had awful graphics and had an F1 theme, not sure on the name, was still pretty addictive...