What To Do About Spam

Discussion in 'GTA Forums Central Site Feedback' started by troutski, Sep 17, 2014.

1. troutski

troutski Active Member

In my opinion, you deserve whatever you get if you fall victim to spam links and scams, but how do we deal with those things on the forum? I don't think I've seen spam deleted here ever. I could be wrong, though. What do you think can be done?

2. niiro17

niiro17 Member

Ignore them? I don't know.

3. daimashin

daimashin New Member

Nothing much basically. Just skip through them and hope that they get removed. It was annoying but I think the spammer stopped.

4. js85

js85 New Member

Yeah I thought maybe the admins would do some cleaning house from the last time I was on this board.

5. wowtgp

wowtgp Member

Just don't feed the trolls and spammers. Not replaying to them and banning them are the only options you have s a forum owner.

6. troutski

troutski Active Member

If someone actually responds to a spammer expecting an answer, then they themselves should get banned, too. Obviously, the admins need to step in and do something, but I can't say I've ever seen that happen with regards to spam.

7. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Member

The admins really need to step in and ban these people and remove their posts. It's getting out of hand..

8. Chingling

Chingling New Member

I was wondering why this was not addressed sooner. Are the mods MIA? Its been at least a week or two now and the spam posts are still there. Some kind of anti spam implementation needs to be put in, preventing users from posting too many times within a certain period.

9. sidney

sidney Member

I don't think there's a mod in here, and maybe the admin or admins of the site are busy, so the spam messages are not taken care of. I do hope they get removed, because they're an eyesore to the forum.

10. Profit5500

Profit5500 New Member

Maybe the admins are busy doing other things on the site to even notice. I would love to see the spam be monitored and dealt with.

11. AresBlade

AresBlade New Member

It would be great to see it removed, but I understand the issues with attempting to prevent it in the first place on forums like this. If they could just keep on top of removing the many SPAM posts quicker that would be great.

12. js85

js85 New Member

Geez, now there's even more since the last time I was here. It's been awhile - I figured if you were maintaining a forum you would check up on it at least every couple weeks. I know it's hard work to run a website, though.

13. LanceVance

LanceVance New Member

Has anyone tried hitting the "report" link? I was on here yesterday and the entire first page was all spam.I was browsing the threads and couldn't find anything on the first page.

14. Larrel94

Larrel94 Member

Reporting and moving on is about all that can be done. Ignore the links, and don't encourage them by clicking the links or posting on the thread.

15. beccagreen

beccagreen New Member

You can try to report the posts and hope to God somebody would notice or do something about it but other than that the only thing we can do is to ignore the spammers and move one and try to enjoy the forum.

16. sidney

sidney Member

I do hope to see an improvement as regards to spam is concerned, because it is slowly being overrun by a spammer/spammers taking advantage of the fact that the site has no mod. Seeing several sections lined up with spam threads is getting to be a burden.

17. Chingling

Chingling New Member

What is even the purpose of spammers? Do they think that doing these kinds of things on various forums will somehow spread what they are trying to advertise? I just don't understand why someone would create a bot to spam in the first place.

18. Nevi

Nevi New Member

How about require to post an introduction first before one can post to other section? This way we can determine who will spam or not, then ban them instantly.

19. shreklock

shreklock Member

Reporting should do wonders, maybe adding more mods so they could react faster and delete spam as soon as possible. I don't even know why people use spam to promote their websites, even if it's a phishing site.

20. sidney

sidney Member

I noticed that a considerable number of spam threads are gone, it seems like the admin was able to finally demolish all of them. I hope those spammers won't return anymore to clutter the forum.