What do you think about racing simulator sets?

Discussion in 'Sim Racing' started by Potausen, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Potausen

Potausen Member

Are they worth the money? Isn't a steering wheel enough?

Personally, I find these sets completely pointless. They sometimes cost as much as a real car. A decent steering wheel that costs 50 times less is good enough for me and I don't care about the complete immersion. Sure, it may be fun, but is it worth the money and time put into building it?

2. ZXD123

ZXD123 Member

I bought my self a good set of a steering wheel control set up with a gear box and everything for about 3,000$. Pairing it with the virtual reality goggles makes the game play amazing! It does cost a lot but will make the game play so much more realistic.

3. Locoton22

Locoton22 Member

They are quite useful mostly for those players who are really into the racing scheme, however I would never buy one of those racing sets, I would rather buy myself a car, that is my opinion though.

4. erook7878

erook7878 Active Member

I've never tried one, but I would assume it's a more realistic feel than just a standard wheel controller. If you set it up with a VR, I would guess it's a far superior experience. If the price comes down, I would consider purchasing a system.

5. spence88

spence88 Member

Are they worth the money? This is a very controversial question indeed. I guess it depends if you have enough money to spend. If the price of the gaming set turns you back, then it probably might not be worth it for you. But if it doesn't turn you back at all, then go for it!
    For me, it would be impractical to buy, but for others, it might not!

6. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I think it's worth it for those who like as much realism in their racing game but I myself don't care that much so for me it's not worth it. When I play video games I prefer to just sit back on a couch and move as little as possible, so having to move my arms and feet constantly is not that appealing to me.

7. raceman998

raceman998 Member

How can we play the game with the gear and all? How realistic it feel? What's the cost of the cheapest set?

8. spectre456

spectre456 Member

I think they're pretty cool, but it's a long way off for me to be able to get one without feeling guilty about it. It's just such a huge investment to enjoy just one type of game. If I ever have that much disposable income I'll probably get one, but until then my controller works just fine for me to enjoy my games.

Wubwub likes this.
  9. Denis Hard

Denis Hard Member

For someone who wants the game to feel as realistic as possible I think it's worth the money. Some racing enthusiasts spend as much $13,000 to make their racing feel quite realistic.

I wonder though how will Virtual Reality change the industry? It's something we'll find out soon enough I suppose.

10. Squigly

Squigly Active Member

Yeah, a steering wheel and a set of pedals suffices quite nicely! A set like that doesn't come cheap as well >.>

11. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

Good point. If it were something you could use for many other types of games as well then the decision could be more guilt free but since you could only enjoy it with racing games it's hard to justify paying so much.

12. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

There are some sets that aren't that expensive, I personally bought one simply because I wanted to practice driving for my license in real life, but racing games are funnier to play with one!

13. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I imagine so. I think it would be great to have multiple ones set up so you can play it with friends like in the arcades though I think at that point it can get really expensive.

14. jonthai

jonthai New Member

If you want a more superficial experience, then you just use the wheel.The simulator sets that I've seen and that are worth it, are quite expensive. Of course there are cheap ones, but i'm really not feeling good vibes from those, and I don't wanna spend money on them. I would love to have a good one, but I guess i'll stick with the wheel for now.

15. raceman998

raceman998 Member

Well, I have said hundreds of times that we need to wait a very long time before a game with a perfect VR interface gets released. Until then, we could use the stimulators.

16. raceman998

raceman998 Member

Yes, that's a good suggestion. If you can afford the expensive simulators, you can go for just a wheel because wheel gives a realistic driving experience.

17. raceman998

raceman998 Member

Well, I don't think someone will spend that much amount of money in a simulator. We should wait until the cheap VR set gets released. I think that they will be released soon.

18. Denis Hard

Denis Hard Member

There's Gear VR. It costs only $99. If you have a Samsung Galaxy phone, then get Gear VR, get a sim racing game and test it out! As for the VR headsets that are compatible with consoles and PC, I think it will take a while before their prices start dropping but maybe before they do we could get something even better: VR contact lenses.

19. raceman998

raceman998 Member

I was really not aware of this. Thank you very much for the information. I would definitely check it out.

20. raceman998

raceman998 Member

Yes, I think they are expensive as well. They are not at all cheap but you can get the cheaper ones from the local stores.