Social media integration in games

Discussion in 'Mobile Gaming' started by Ghost Rider, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider Member

I have no problem with social media integration in games like the ability to share your high scores and achievements via Facebook. However, if the game becomes overly exaggerated wherein it requires you to post every single milestone that you have achieved, I think that's going a bit too far.

Do you like games with social media integration?

2. rossonomous

rossonomous Member

As you stated, I only like it for sharing and showing off hi-scores. I really dislike the whole idea of sending gifts to one another and giving updates on every level you reach and stuff like that. It's good, to an extent.

3. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I like to keep things separate, and have no desire to share anything I achieve in my games, so when games get to ridiculous levels of integration with social media, I can only dislike it even more. I just hope they don't start overdoing it with console games, as it seems they are going in that direction with the new features of the PS4 and Xbox One.

4. MissBin

MissBin Member

I don't like it at all. I think it's stupid idea to have media integrated into games. You play it for fun not for showing off, seriously. And these gifting things, just shows that developer can't attract many players so he got to do stupid things like that. Allthough kids like it and that's even more sad.

5. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

@MissBin I agree. Most of these only do it seemingly for you to give them free advertising and it doesn't integrate that well at all when it's just used to show off. It does work for some games that are mostly multiplayer in nature though since it gives you more opportunities to get more players to play with.

6. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Member

I hate it sooo much. It's obtuse, annoying and encourages you to annoy your friends in order to get ahead..

7. jurew2

jurew2 Member

I don't like the games with social media integration, because it is annoying to me. So many pop-up about sharing your score with other people drives me crazy sometimes. If a game would have a social media integration, then I would preffer that you can turn it on or off in the main menu or in the settings so that it doesn't get so annoying when you don't want to share the score with your friends on a social media.

8. Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider Member

Haha, you do have a point there. If you keep on requesting things from your friends, it would annoy them so much. But this is actually a very wise marketing strategy by people who are behind these games. They have tapped into the power of social media in order to be able to spread out their games and get a lot of downloads. I guess that's the price of being free.

If you're gonna make a game, won't you integrate social media in it?

9. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Member

It's wise but it also makes me avoid them and same with some other people..

10. kaitheteen

kaitheteen Member

It's definitely good for showing off high scores, but not a lot of people really care about that. I personally don't like sharing my scores on social networks.

11. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

Yeah I guess they think that since you are getting the game for free then you might as well advertise it for them, which I think is pretty fair, even though it still is a bit annoying.

12. ReDGuNNeR

ReDGuNNeR New Member

It's very pointless but its a nice feature to have and makes a game feel more feature complete. I think it's rather spammy but most games will post on the specific Games section of Facebook or rarely post at all. GTAV had this and I believe it posted to my Facebook account once or twice. I usually go into the settings and only allow myself to view these sort of status updates because the large majority of the userbase on social networks find this sort of content annoying and spammy.

13. ray king

ray king Member

Yeah, I really don't like that. Imagine you have your boss or your co-worker who noticed that you just posted a high score during working hours, and you were just using time while you were waiting. Nor do I want my friends to know of every silly score that I make, cos those includes everybody including older relatives and all. So, I just stay off facebook and other social site games. And you definitely have to stay off it if you're gonna lie that you are not home.

14. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I didn't even think of this, but you're right. I know you're not supposed to play at work anyway, but from time to time if you could afford the time, it's just a good way to relax for a few minutes. I'm sure most bosses would understand but it's still not that acceptable.