Road Rash

Discussion in 'Sim Racing' started by teabwoi, Dec 15, 2014.

1. teabwoi

teabwoi Member

I was sitting the other day on YouTube looking at some racing games and then i came across this game. I must say that I remember this game and honestly this game used to be really fun to play and I was thinking to myself the other day how come this game has not been made anymore.

Do any of you remember this game?

2. troutski

troutski Active Member

I think there's already a post on this, but Road Rash is probably worth a couple posts. If i remember correctly, there were a few games in the series, although there hasn't been one in quite some time. It was a fantastically simple game that was great back then, either way.

3. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I love this game and I'm surprised as well that no one is rebooting it. I think it would do great with today's audience and it would probably even revive the vehicle battle genre if they did it right. Maybe we should all start a petition or something.

4. Denis Hard

Denis Hard Member

I still play the game though it feels somewhat too old now. For those still hoping the game will get a reboot you should forget it. Those who'd said they were working on a road rash reboot [ a kickstarter project] created something entirely different. So obviously neither EA, nor anyone else is interested in rebooting the game.

5. Squigly

Squigly Active Member

Yes, it is gratifying to know that the reboot has met with plenty of support. It has been greenlit on Steam!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=139649569

6. AmenoKaji

AmenoKaji Member

<3 Road Rash. I don't even know how many hours I put into that game, that was a era of great racing games in general though.

7. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Member

This is a old school game. I remember my cousin had it for the sega genesis. Wasn't the player while driving his motorcycle have the ability to punch his opponents while driving?

8. teabwoi

teabwoi Member

We used to play this game for hours. I took a look at the steam greenlight link and I will tell you that the game really is as close as you could get to a modern day road rash. If you have not checked out the link as yet you really should that game looks awesome.

9. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

Same here. At the time, all racing games were pretty much the same in that they all just required you to finish in first place, which is why I appreciate this game a lot because it had a lot of innovations that was ahead of its time.

10. Sparkster

Sparkster Member

Yep, I remember Road Rash. It was indeed a great game in it's time and is probably still fun to play. I think I was about sixteen when it came out on the Sega Megadrive. You don't see many of them about these days do you? I wonder if you can just get a Megadrive emulator for the PC to play Road Rash?

11. troutski

troutski Active Member

I know you can emulate various Road Rash games, but I don't know about that specific version from that specific console.

12. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

Yeah I think this series ended very early so all of the produced games are low tech and easy to emulate on a laptop. I think I got to play all versions on Genesis emulators back when my laptop was still alive.

13. GlacialDoom

GlacialDoom Member

I was just thinking and reminiscing of this game. I really hope they will make a remastered edition/remake, as it would definitely deserve one.

14. burtpovski

burtpovski Member

I think I heard of it before, but it was way back in the days. I don't think people really remember about it anymore because no one really plays old games. Everyone into the brand new games like Need for Speed and Gran Turismo.

15. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

Agreed. It really seems too obvious for me to reboot this game that I'm honestly surprised no one has done it yet. I'd love to see current technology take this game on I bet it would sell very well.

16. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Member

Here's video of the game. I remember back then EA had not done some kind of licensing of some sorts and the the packaging of the cartridges were different. You know back then this game had some appeal to it. Now that I'm watching the video, I can't stand it. I know some 8 bit games that are better looking then this one.

17. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

Maaaaaan, I used to play this game all the time when I was little. Phew, how time flies! I remember organising tournaments with some of my friends at my house.

18. rajesh1209

rajesh1209 Member

I still play this game. It was released in 1991 and it's very old but I like this game. It's like a nice classic racing game. I used to play this game a lot in my childhood. You are right, it should be remastered to an advanced version and I don't know why it stopped. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
  19. Denis Hard

Denis Hard Member

The kickstarter project that supposed to give Road Rash some new life veered off-course. They made an entirely different game. I believe that the game they made wasn't that good or else there'd have been some buzz about the new road rash.

One thing we all have to accept is this: the game never is going to be rebooted.

20. erook7878

erook7878 Active Member

That Kickstarter was awesome. I wished it was successful and brought the game back. I wonder what went wrong.