Racing Game Music

Discussion in 'Sim Racing' started by tjmsrubegoldberg, Nov 3, 2014.

1. erook7878

erook7878 Active Member

Crazy Taxi brings back some memories. I completely forgot about that game. That was one of those games that were one of the first demos for playstation.

2. erook7878

erook7878 Active Member

I don't mind listening to both. Racing games usually balance the background music and the game sounds in a way you can clearly hear both. The background music is usually pretty low in volume.

3. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

This is what I do sometimes. If I'm sick of the in game music I'll turn down the soundtrack but I'll keep the sound effects on blast while I play something else on my speakers. This way I get the best of both worlds.

4. Gombafej

Gombafej New Member

In my opinion games that come with original, custom-made music become the best ones. I hate those mashups and remixes of popular songs put into the game.

5. GenevB

GenevB Member

Probably the best race game music can be found in NFS: Underground 2, I remember how the soundtrack used to be so fit for the game, I even searched it on YouTube just to play it while I was playing other race games, it seemed so fit for race games especially the ones with a good story where you do not only participate in races.

6. erook7878

erook7878 Active Member

Yeah, there is always the option of turning down the game sounds or music. I'm kind of used to the engine sounds, so there are times where I'm just listening to my own music and I can just imagine the car sounds. It's like ingrained into my brain what the car sounds like when I accelerate and brake.

7. spence88

spence88 Member

This is the perfect racing game music in my opinion.

Note that I pasted the link on a certain timestamp (song starts at 42:51 the timestamp might be inaccurate), so that you get to listen to my favorite Gran Turismo track. Enjoy!

8. sillylucy

sillylucy Member

I think that the music will either get me pumped to race and play or it is a distraction and I just want to turn off the music completely in the game and leave the racing sounds. The music is a major element

9. spence88

spence88 Member

Music is indeed a major element. If you turn the BGM off and leave only car sounds on, the game would appear to be "dead" and boring. On the other hand if you turn the BGM on but the music is bad, then it becomes a distraction. Generally, music must be fast paced to work. You don't want to hear slow classical music while racing eh? :D

10. GenevB

GenevB Member

I also feel like that sometimes, however, I find several songs to be helping me through the game, but there are certain times when I'd rather just hear the noise of the engine and the noise of the wheels friction against the asphalt.

11. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

Seeing as we're all on a racing forum, I'm guessing we've all see the fast and furious films right? I think when they came out, the music became synonymous with racing, and that's when the music in racing games changed also.

Instead of the low key, chilled out music, we started to get a lot heavier and edgier, and that was a good thing in my opinion.

12. spence88

spence88 Member

Have you guys watched the Initial D anime? The original / Japanese dub used Eurobeat songs and it's surprising that they actually worked. It's way better than the soundtrack used for the English Dub. The life just disappeared from the races.

13. raceman998

raceman998 Member

Yes, I always become excited by the background music of Mario. Among all the background music of several games, the music of Real Racing 3 (2013) is my favourite. The music developers of the game did amazing job.

14. spence88

spence88 Member

Yeah Mario Kart music is legit man. In my opinion, Nintendo is the best in creating in-game music when it comes to background music with no lyrics. They not only proved that with racing games but also to all the other games as well.

15. Norjak71

Norjak71 Member

I usually play on PC only so I add my own music. It's really a variety of songs but mostly light techno. I don't even care for the techno genre when I'm listening to music on my own but it fits the racing game type perfectly. I also have old time country songs for when I'm playing a dirt-bike race in GTA V or some other off-road game. It all depends on the race I have various soundtracks. If it's at night, with everyone having neon light layouts on their car and you're running from the police, techno is a killer soundtrack; that music just fits that situation so perfectly.

16. Denis Hard

Denis Hard Member

I miss the days when we got some grunge music in racing games. I don't like the new music. The sound effects are decent though and even when though I don't listen to the music, these make racing somewhat enjoyable.