Practice techniques

Discussion in 'Sim Racing' started by Norjak71, May 1, 2016.

1. Norjak71

Norjak71 Member

Does anyone here have a specific technique they use to practice or learn the track before trying to race competitively? I usually always play the track solo or in time-trial mode before even thinking about racing with other people. The reasoning for me is as follows:

- You can learn the track and the delicate intricacies of it
    - Learn which car is best suited for each track
    - Learn how each wheel type and traction affects different weather conditions
    - How to handle braking and acceleration around corners

I know a lot of people that just jump right into the game and have no former knowledge of the track, and then get frustrated when they consistently lose.

What type of strategies does everyone employ to further their knowledge of their favorite racing games, and how do you input that into a competitive strategy when racing others?

spence88 likes this.
  2. krnd

krnd Member

I guess for me it depends how seriously I want to take the racing game. I won't go on trial runs to get a better feeling for the map if I'm playing with friends, it's low pressure and most of them find it hilarious if we have no previous experience with the map.

3. spectre456

spectre456 Member

I used to just dive straight into races and learned the track as I played more of a specific game. I still do that for most games except Grid Autosport. This game gives you a 10 minute trial run of the track so you can get used to it before you start the competition. It made me realize how important it is to know the track well to place in a good position.

4. spence88

spence88 Member

Yeah, that's part of the fun, sometimes getting way ahead of the competition can be boring. I believe playing with people at your own level is the pure definition of fun. But of course, competitive play is also fun. I guess your right that it depends on your purpose of playing.

5. ZXD123

ZXD123 Member

If I am serious about the game or looking to play competitively, I would most likely run a couple of time trial laps around each course and get a feel for the game and car and even track. If for fun, just jump in and enjoy!

6. Denis Hard

Denis Hard Member

To be honest I don't try too hard to learn the track. I usually start with easy mode when playing a new racing game. After playing a few times I'd have learned all I need to know about a track and after that I go straight on to racing. And I use cheats to make it easier for me to win.

7. Squigly

Squigly Active Member

Some games have a ghost car option, which I find to be very useful if you're having troubles with particular turns on the course.

8. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I'm impatient and get bored easily when I'm just racing alone so I usually just dive into whatever stage I'm trying to beat and do it over and over until I finally get it. Probably not the most efficient way to go about it but I enjoy my time a lot more that way at least. If I started to get too serious and start racing alone I think it would start feeling like work to me.

9. Sworden

Sworden Member

I play the track a couple times as an actual race, and if I find that I'm consistently not getting higher and higher placings, then I switch over to solo mode.

Once there, I play the track a couple times, switching off the few driving assists that I use (when to break) until I really get a hang for the map.

Then I switch back and go for that first place finish.

10. Susime

Susime Active Member

I do a lot of practice sessions on the tracks and I also do a lot of single-player modes where if you accidentally hit an opponent it doesn't really matter so much. I do this a lot before venturing into online play.

Time trials are a pretty good way I've found of getting faster at the track I'm learning at.

11. krnd

krnd Member

I love having the ghost car options, especially the ones that mimic your performance because it feels a if you're practicing and competing against yourself and can improve some of the pathing or catch on to patterns of yours.

12. erook7878

erook7878 Active Member

I'm such an impatient person, I like to just jump in. I like to learn as you go and usually, I'm comfortable enough with the gameplay, that it isn't an issue. Some tracks can be a little tricky at first. A good way to learn a new track is to follow the AI for the first few laps.

13. raceman998

raceman998 Member

Ghost car option? Can you name some games having that feature?

14. raceman998

raceman998 Member

Man, everybody is talking about the ghost car option. Please let me know some games having that option.

15. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

Not really, I don't practice tracks that much, I usually just go first try and learn them through trial and error.