Not much changes

Discussion in 'Mario Kart' started by Brem, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Brem

Brem Member

I love Mario Kart, played since the SNES days and loved nearly all of them, thing is, it hasn't really adapted to the times. It's virtually the same game over the past few years with some added things here and there. What does Mario Kart 8 have to do to recapture its glory?

I just want something new.

2. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I've played the series since the SNES, too. I really don't see how you think the modern incarnation of the game is no different from the original. You have more characters, more courses, courses that have innovative features, the ability to tune your vehicle, the ability the custmise certain elements of your game, the ability to play with people on the other side of the world, and so much more. If you're asking why they haven't completely reworked the fundamental principles of the game, then the answer is: because then it wouldn't be Mario Kart, it would be something else. There's only so many ways you can customise a genre in which the fundamental principle is to send your character in a circle.

3. Brem

Brem Member

I see what you're saying. I know it's changed a decent amount since the SNES. I just think that it hasn't changed much since say, the gamecube days. I may be wrong on that, but it doesn't feel new anymore for me. I guess that happens when you play the series so much.

4. Racer X

Racer X Member

I stopped playing MK after 64. I loved the SNES original and the N64 version, but I don't know. I just stopped feeling attracted to the gameplay. Don't get me wrong, I can play those two older versions I mentioned all day. But the newer ones.. they feel convoluted. I don't know. There's still a lot of what made it lovable to begin with, but it isn't the same.

5. Walker6

Walker6 New Member

If its not broken, dont fix it! The earlier MK were fantastic and they have tried to keep it similar because that is MK!! and it works!!! It is one of the few games I can see never getting old for any generation to play them. Maybe as you get older the new features dont seem that good but thats because you are comparing them to your first taste of the game and how you felt when the first version you ever played came out!

Racer X likes this.
  6. Racer X

Racer X Member

^ That was well said. That's probably why I don't like the newer versions as much. I want what I felt when I first played MK 64 and Super Mario Kart.. Can't get that back.

Walker6 likes this.
  7. Walker6

Walker6 New Member

^Agreed, wish I took in more of what I was feeling at the time!

8. zambothegreat

zambothegreat Member

Nintendo tends to not muck with its formula with certain games, but they've also taken chances with games like Super Mario Sunshine, the POV Metroid games, and others. I think it would be cool if Nintendo tried something different with Mario Kart. Even if people don't like it, I think the series needs some change.

9. Brad

Brad Member

I agree a lot of games are becoming like that now, not enough new features but we will see whens its released.

10. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I know exactly what you mean. It's how I've started to feel about the GT series.

11. Jellyfish

Jellyfish Member

No, it has not changed that much. But what could you possibly expect from a racing game of this type?

12. SpiralArchitect

SpiralArchitect Member

The graphics keep on improving though, but really there isn't a lot they can change with the game. I think every little quirk they could have added since the N64 days has already been added. I don't think there is any point in getting the newest version.

13. jcairns82

jcairns82 Member

I think it's difficult for most games released in the last 2-3 years to really make that many advances. Especially, if we're talking about strictly racing games. The whole point of it is to race around a track. You can put the track in space, the desert, but the game play is still the same.

14. Oakster

Oakster Member

Well Nintendo has made *some* innovation in previous versions with the addition of underwater and flying racing, but the gameplay is basically the same.
    Everyone still loves it so they don't change much, the popularity of Rainbow Road shows that :)

15. SpiralArchitect

SpiralArchitect Member

But the problem is this makes the immediate announcement of new games and going up to Mario Kart 8 so quickly seem like an obvious cash grab. The worst part is that the game still seems to sell.

16. Franklin15

Franklin15 New Member

Fall in the water and immediately get back on track. No more waiting 3 seconds to land back finally!!!

17. SpiralArchitect

SpiralArchitect Member

Its not completely without new changes then. This makes it so much more worth buying. /sarcasm

18. x0MandyLynn0x

x0MandyLynn0x New Member

Even if some people may have negative reviews to say about this new Mario Kart 8 game. I still am so excited to try this!!!! I've always been a fan of all the Mario Kart games, I've played every single one. (Except this one). So I'm looking forward to giving it a try. I'm sure the graphics will be improved more. Hoping to see a lot more new courses and characters to play in this game. But I don't see it being changed up too much. Mario Kart is a classic just the way it is! Anyways! Yay, so impatient to play it!!

19. AlexTraveller

AlexTraveller Member

The problem with games like these is that they always want to release a new version to rake in the money from the cashcow, but they can't change anything because it's impossible. You can't reinvent the wheel but you sure can resell it often, apparently.

20. nicotta

nicotta Member

Yeah Mario kart is a childhood favorite of mine, was the first ever video game I got growing up.