Motion controls vs touch controls in racing games

Discussion in 'Mobile Gaming' started by Ghost Rider, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider Member

Great racing games on mobile devices like Real Racing and GT Racing Free offer a number of control inputs. You can choose whether to use touch controls or use motion controls (tilting your phone left and right to steer the car). Given these choices, which control scheme do you use?

2. Qamra

Qamra Member

I think it depends on the game. Some of them won't let you change motion sensitivity and even the smallest tilt will make you fall off the route. I usually choose motion control, it's more fun and I don't have to watch my fingers.

3. jcairns82

jcairns82 Member

As Qamra stated, it really depends on the game and how sensitive the controls are. If I'm on transit or in a buddy's car, then using motion controls can really mess you up. The bus turns and you do too and you're in last again. I tend to play really crappy games on my mobile, as it's less frustrating for the commute.

4. Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider Member

Haha, that's true. Motion controls really don't work if you are in a moving environment like in a bus. You would be better off with using touch controls in these instances. Anyway, I still prefer touch controls over motion controls. I tend to get dizzy if I use motion controls.

5. GetFresh

GetFresh Member

I don't like motion controls at all. Whenever I use that, I have to tilt the screen out of my view and I have no idea what's going on. Also, I usually play laying down thus throwing off the motion sensors. I'll take touch controls any day.

Ghost Rider likes this.
  6. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I prefer touch controls. I feel a little silly flailing around just playing a game, especially if I'm in public. Also, I mostly play lying down since if I were to want to play sitting down, I'd just play on the TV, and using motion controls while lying down is just not practical.

7. LukeF

LukeF New Member

Personally, I prefer touch controls. Whenever I am playing with motion control my body automatically moves as the car corners. This makes touch controls more attractive for my personal taste. Also, I am used to pressing buttons on the PS3, so touch is the closest to what I am used to.

8. msreebaybay

msreebaybay Member

I love the motion controls in racing games, they really help me play to my best ability. I can't concentrate when I have to use touch controls, and you make more mistakes that way as well.

9. gats

gats Member

I really suck at the touch controls so motion is better. I also prefer connecting a bluetooth controller to play my games because I still can't get used to playing games with just my phone.

10. Rawisjason

Rawisjason Member

I prefer the touch control over the motion control. I play on my iphone (the screen is small) and whenever I tilt it, it goes to far and crashes. I tried playing on my iPad and i didn't get the same problem. I don't usually play on my iPad so I am stuck with my phone. I can see why people would prefer motion to touch, or touch to motion.

11. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I had a very similar experience! I tried using motion controls again just recently after giving up on it sometime ago after failing so hard at it on an iPod, but now that I did it with an iPad I found it a bit more tolerable. I still prefer the touch screen controls because it still is the next best to having actual controllers, but you are right, motion control is a lot better on a bigger device.

12. kaitheteen

kaitheteen Member

I prefer the motion controls over the touch controls simply because I feel like I have a better gaming experience if I use motion.

13. jurew2

jurew2 Member

I like motion controls in racing games on my phone, because it feels like you are turning the wheel while playing it. I played some games with motion control and some games with touch controls, I always preffered the motion controls over the touch ones. But it doesn't bother my playing with the touch controls, I just love to play the games no matter what controls.

14. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I think I could enjoy this much better if the screen didn't tilt along with the controls, but even then I still probably wouldn't like it as much as just pressing buttons because I don't like moving that much when playing video games.