Most realistic arcade racing game

Discussion in 'Sim Racing' started by erook7878, May 8, 2016.

1. erook7878

erook7878 Active Member

I remember as a kid, I used to love playing racing games at arcades or at movie theaters. As much fun as they were, I remember them not being very realistic. I'm guessing they've gotten more realistic over time. What is the most realistic arcade racing game out there right now.

2. Sworden

Sworden Member

It sorta depends on what you mean by 'arcade'. Do you mean racing games that you actually play in the arcade? If so, then they haven't really got any more realistic, at least where I live. Still the same pretty crappy graphics and crappy controls.

If you mean arcade racer compared to simulation racers, then Need for speed, The Crew, those are examples.

Need For Speed's graphics are getting to be pretty decent, and the driving in those games are always fun. Though nothing (arcade racer wise) beats the original Most Wanted for me. Man that game was awesome...

3. erook7878

erook7878 Active Member

I kind of meant both, but mostly referring to the typical arcade games you will find in arcades or at a movie theater. I would of guessed they wouldn't have advanced too much. I'd like to see more of the realistic driving sims at arcades.

4. Sworden

Sworden Member

I think one way in which they can definitely develop more, is if arcades start implementing VR into their games. VR, especially right now, really is too expensive for the average gamer to invest into.

But if arcades and other gaming cafes have booths or VR stands, then it would definitely be popular. Racing games for sure I feel would work well there, even if it's something less simulator and more arcade, as long as you have cockpit view, then it'll work wonders.

Makes you wonder how the next 2-3 years is going to develop, especially as to whether we'll see major changes to the racing scene.

5. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I think Sega Rally was pretty realistic at the time though my memory of it might be a little hazy. I just remember the graphics on it were pretty good and the driving physics and effects were somewhat realistic. Also I think some of the F1 arcade games were also realistic but I never tried those out and instead just watched for a few seconds whenever I passed one by because I never was that interested in f1.

6. tgthewriter1

tgthewriter1 Member

The most real arcade game is Gran Turismo. It looks the best and that’s all it needs. The other arcade games look like PS2 games. The graphics are awful. I’m not a expert to arcade games because I don’t play arcade games anymore. However, I recommend a game that looks like Gran Turismo so you can get the full experience.

7. erook7878

erook7878 Active Member

Arcades will definitely have a ton of VR games in the future. I think my first VR experience was at an arcade. They had a booth where you put on a headset and play this game where you ride along a train track and kill like skeletor type characters. I remember the graphics being awful and the game play was basically you just pressing a button. It was pretty bad, but now VR has made huge advancements.

8. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

I like Forza a lot but this game may not fall in the realms of arcade, it's supposed to be realistic rather than arcade (80-20). If you have a Playstation definitely give Gran Turismo a go, probably the best option that fits your description.

9. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

Just going back to seeing more simulator racing games in the actual arcades, I'm not sure that would work to be honest. When you're in an arcade you want a game that you can just play quickly, and not a game that you have to change settings on the cars, or study the tracks.

The arcade environment will have a lot to do with that, and with all that noise and other people buzzing around, a simulator game would be almost impossible.

10. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I agree. I think back then these would have been considered the most realistic but these days when almost all games are hyper realistic these games have started to show more and more of their other side in a good way.

11. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

As technology as advanced, and especially when it comes to games, I think the game developers can't help.but make the games more and more realistic.

For the arcade style racers if the past, this could actually be a bad thing as the people who loved those games won't be interested in the newer simulator, realistic forms of the games.

12. justrace

justrace Member

It was one of the best games I ever played. Sega Rally is an awesome game and I would recommend everyone to check it out.

13. justrace

justrace Member

The most realisitc games of today will be featured in Virtual Reality. I really fun to play the racing games with VR interface.

14. justrace

justrace Member

Grand Turismo is one of the most highest rated games out there. It's my favourite racing game till now and I love it. Everyone is waiting for the next version of this game.

15. spectre456

spectre456 Member

I would say Sega Rally, but it's underwhelming if you compare it to today's racers. I spent so much time playing that game back in the day.

16. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Member

Anything with controllers other than a mouse, keyboard, or your console controller even, would make the "realism" better. Having a steering wheel and even multiple monitors and some pedals would simulate a real enough experience of actually driving. All that's left is how realistic the game is, and how the graphics would hold up in the multiple monitors, and how the sounds would simulate real engine noises and even race ambience in general.

17. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I agree. I myself have never been that much into dirt racing but even I ended up enjoying this game especially when playing it in an arcade where you have the full experience although I'm sure the newer versions on home consoles are just as good if not better.

18. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

While I'm also optimistic about what effect VR will have on racing games, we also shouldn't forget that it's brand new technology when it comes to gaming so for the first few releases of games, I don't think we should expect to much.

There's no doubt that VR is the future of gaming, but it is going to take time to get established I would have thought.

19. justrace

justrace Member

You are right. Most people think the real VR games would be launched soon. I don't think so. It's going to take a lot of time for the developers to create an affordable VR interface game
    in the market. I would love to play the games in a full VR interface.

pwarbi likes this.
  20. justrace

justrace Member

I agree with the fact that these devices give you a realistic feeling but the feeling you will get with a VR set will ve very different than that. It will give you a 360 degree experience and it will feel like you are completely inside the game.