Mario Kart 8 is for kids only?

Discussion in 'Mario Kart' started by Ghost Rider, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider Member

I've noticed that out of the main categories in this forum, Mario Kart 8 is, well, the most colorful racing game of the bunch. It also has the cutest cast of characters and the most outrageous race tracks. Which leads us to my question - is Mario Kart 8 just for kids? Or will Mario and the gang be able to hold the interest of adult gamers as well?

[​IMG]

ray king likes this.
  2. Sarz

Sarz New Member

Mario has something for everyone time and time again it has proved that in a variety of editions. It's predecessor managed to captivate its adult audience as well as children. It's just as bright and colourful. Its a family game and I think it will be just as popular as it has always been if not more .

3. Kandikkal

Kandikkal Member

I will play it whether it is kids only or not. It will be more fun to play along with some kids though.

4. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I think nowadays, we're past beyond the labels of things being just for kids. I mean, adults now are paying to watch men in tight spandex fighting evil aliens or gods, and I myself still like watching cartoons even as an adult, and I doubt I'd stop watching unless they stop making good ones so I think even the cute games will find a niche adult crowd to appreciate it.

5. matrixor

matrixor Member

No game is kids only. It doesn't matter what age you are. If you enjoy it, then buy it.

6. Cera

Cera New Member

I have to agree with matrixor here. I know plenty of people that play games of all ages. From my youngest kid (who is 7) up to my spouses grandfather who is well into his 80s. I hear a lot of parents that play their kids gaming setups too (Wii, DS, etc.).

7. grandtheftgamer

grandtheftgamer New Member

I love the Mario games! I grew up with them, though, so maybe that's part of the appeal for me. I actually have most of the original Mario games on the Wii -- not just the racing games. To answer the OP's question, though, yes -- I do think that Mario Kart 8 can hold an adult's attention. :)

8. Cera

Cera New Member

I think Mario in any form is just something many people are going to connect with no matter what age they are. I still remember my parents at the time playing Duck Hunt. It is one of those characters that ends up lasting over time, not being just a one hit wonder type.

9. teabwoi

teabwoi Member

Honestly to me I don't think that it is a game for kids only because I am an adult and I really enjoy playing Mario Kart 8. I just like how colorful and fast paced the game is and on top of that I would say that it is really a lot of fun to play too.

10. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

@teabwoi - I agree. I think just because it is colorful it is often related to kids, but I as an adult much prefer colorful games to the modern trend of having everything in game be dark and gray with a major focus on realism, which I admit is impressive but wears out very quickly for me.

11. FosterTXT

FosterTXT Member

I don't think Mario Kart 8 is just for kids. People might think this just because the graphics are colorful and vibrant, but that is just how Nintendo has always been. Even if it is just for children, I am still going to play it.

12. mauricioq

mauricioq Member

No, I'm not a kid anymore and I still like playing Mario Kart. If I like playing it, should I stop just because of my age?

13. Jun Yun

Jun Yun Member

Definitely not. Face value is always not a concern when it comes to video games. It could be as cute as My Little Pony, but if it has any semblance of actual competition, it's bound to be good for adults as well.

14. LukeDerusha

LukeDerusha Member

I think it is wrong to assume a game is for kids simply because it has cartoon looking graphics, especially if that game is Mario Kart. I have played Mario Kart since I was a kid, and I still play it now. The game is addicting, fun, and challenging. Something as fun as Mario Kart should never be looked at as a kids game.

15. qag

qag Member

Mario Kart isn't just for kids. It's a series that appeals to all ages of gamers. The way the game's are designed reflects this. Even as an adult, I still find myself getting together with friends to play Mario Kart. There's very few experiences in games like that.

16. ciorex

ciorex Member

Parents need to know that Mario Kart 8 is an all-ages racing game starring iconic game characters driving cartoonish karts around fantastical tracks. A bit of comic mischief exists in players' ability to use items to interfere with other racers -- you can launch shells to send competitors for a tumble or zap them with lightning to make them momentarily shrink in size and slow down -- but no one ever appears seriously injured. Online play is safe, since communication with strangers is restricted to a small selection of preset text messages. But parents should know that this game connects to Wii U's Miiverse network and that it facilitates video-sharing via YouTube.

17. sayimleet

sayimleet New Member

I love the game and I am by no means a kid :p! I think it's all just personal preference.

18. jurew2

jurew2 Member

I don't think that any game should be played only by kids (leaving alone all those learning games, that let you learn numbers, colors etc.). Everyone who enjoys a game should be able to play it. Some people are playing the games that are played only by kids just because of the nostalgia, that they played a version of the game when they were younger. I don't think that mario kart 8 should be for the kids only, because it is really a personal preference which game you will play. If you like Mario racing games, then you should play it, adult or not.

19. Kaseyallan

Kaseyallan New Member

Mario kart could never be for kids, its just funny how kids are soo good at it.

20. rgrimes

rgrimes Member

No, anyone can play it and have fun. As far as I'm concerned, a group of 10 adults drinking alcohol and messing around can still play Mario party and have fun, without being called kids.