Keyboard or controller?

Discussion in 'GTA San Andreas' started by CelTek, Nov 4, 2013.

1. insertkittyface

insertkittyface New Member

I always preferred playing games like GTA on a controller, just because it felt more natural. That's the way I grew up playing it, so, I mean, yeah, that's my excuse.

2. Livvy

Livvy Member

Yeah this is pretty much my reasoning too. I grew up using consoles more than computers, so a keyboard and mouse, while fine, just doesn't feel as natural to me as a controller in my hand does.

3. iksimkd

iksimkd New Member

Keyboard FTW! I've never used a controller to play a game before. Also, I hate game consoles like PS and XBOX.
    PC is my favorite machine to play game on.

4. stuckyfeet

stuckyfeet New Member

I started out with the keyboard and at that time it was truly the only way to play it. I got a kinda Death Rally feeling from it. But as the game progressed I've generally turned more towards the controller as to so much that I even have a controller for my PC :/

5. rgrimes

rgrimes Member

When I was young, I used a mouse and keyboard. I'm stuck to it ever since, it allows better control and much more keys to press than controllers.

GTA5 is also coming out for PC soon!

6. Falsedave

Falsedave New Member

I've been a PC gamer for the last 15 years and before that I had an Amiga so mouse and keyboard was how I grew up controlling games especially FPS. But I couldnt play any of the GTA's with a mouse and keyboard as I've always played GTA on a console. Weird Huh ?

7. Brian

Brian New Member

It won't be long now! It's coming!

The flight school is extremely hard with the keyboard. It can be done, but again, it is extremely hard. A controller is totally the way to go with San Andreas, but use mouse for the stationary shooting missions (throwing boxes to ryder, the two cop chases where smoke is driving, and the Zero mission on his rooftop). I played the PC version with K&M first, but then I got a PS2 adapter and never looked back. III and VC were good with keyboard and mouse, but San Andreas really took the need for a controller to a new level.

You will also have a very hard time trying to complete the dancing and hydraulic competitions with the keyboard, but they are easier than the flight school will be. Driving and bike school will be very hard for you as well with keyboard and mouse (mainly the 2 wheel driving test).

Is it a 360 controller? If so, I have bad news: The triggers are not supported! There is a mod for it that claims to make them work, but I didn't get it to work (having helped pioneer modding in the early days, speaks volumes about the difficulty in using that mod).

If it's a literal Xbox original controller, you'll be fine. If you have a PS2 controller laying around, an adapter can be had for under 5 bucks online. Look for the one with 2 ports and made of translucent blue plastic - it works great.

For third person games and most single-player portions of FPS games, it's a controller, hands down.

For MP FPS games, of course, K&M only :p

But for GTA specifically, I just really think it feels and works the best and you can relax more with a controller.

8. Joseph

Joseph New Member

I love playing my games on my Xbox 360 so I've grown accustomed to the controller ways of a gamer's life. Even though I've completed the whole play through on my PC as well as on my console (on my console three times, once on my PC), I still prefer the console because it's much easier to drive cars (which is the main part of GTA!) and just walk around, or fly around on your jetpack.

There were a few cases I wish I had the keyboard instead of the controller. For example, I find free-style aiming to be much easier with the keyboard & mouse combination rather than the controller because it's quicker as well.

9. Tumwriter92

Tumwriter92 New Member

I grew up with a game system controller which has been a lot easier for me to use and still today, I've been using the keyboard to play Resident Evil 4 with my keyboard and its not so bad maybe a little difficult. I would still recommend a controller if I were to choose

10. MissBin

MissBin Member

Keyboard here because i don't have controller yet but i wish i will have it sometime. But i think i will lose a level of control with switching to controler because it's so much easier in my opinion to do many things at the same time such as move, shoot and so on.

11. prey

prey New Member

Keyboard, definitely. A controller feels more limited overall and it isn't that much of a pleasure to use it after some time whatsoever, mainly because your hands get very, very tired.

12. RiderW

RiderW New Member

I personally can't imagine playing GTA with anything other than a controller. GTA wasn't built with keyboard/mouse controls in mind.

13. Mistico

Mistico New Member

Usually when I'm playing a game on PC I prefer using keyboard and mouse. But for GTA games I prefer using a controller. I feel that GTA plays better with a controller. Also it's nice to just lay back while you're playing, which is kinda hard to do with keyboard and mouse.

14. ciorex

ciorex Member

Keyboard all the way!

15. ichigosr

ichigosr New Member

Controller all the way. Keyboard feels so weird for this game in my opinion.

16. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Member

I'm mainly a console gamer, so I naturally have a preference for using a controller. Keyboards just don't feel right for me. It's just simpler for me to use a controller than a keyboard. It's less awkward too.

17. wowtgp

wowtgp Member

I have always preferred my keyboard and mouse than my controllers. But I use controllers from time to time to play GTA games. So I owuld say both.

18. niiro17

niiro17 Member

I played GTA SA on controller when I was a kid. I like playing games on a controller. But now, I have a PC I prefer to play with keyboard and mouse.

19. moneyman

moneyman New Member

From my experience the controller is better since it fits better in the hand. However, keyboard isn't bad at all, I have always preferred playing with a controller.

20. LanceVance

LanceVance New Member

I've never used a keyboard for video games, unless it was one of those simple flash games where you only have five buttons to press. I've always played on consoles, and it would take me a long time to get used to using a keyboard. I'd also be worried about breaking my keyboard because I think I'd put a lot of pressure on it.