Is music important in a racing game?

Discussion in 'Sim Racing' started by Ghost Rider, Oct 14, 2013.

1. RORY DAVY

RORY DAVY New Member

I so agree with you on this.

2. mkCampbell

mkCampbell Member

This may be a poor example about music in racing games etc but as I watch several Christmas and Holiday TV specials I realize how horrible much of the music in these made for TV movies are. Then a decent movie comes on and it has GREAT music. Good music makes a difference!

3. teabwoi

teabwoi Member

Of course I think that music in any game its really important because to me it just adds to it sometimes. Think about how dry a game would be if you were just driving through all of the tracks that are in the game and there was no type of music in the game to enjoy now that would be really boring wouldn't it.

4. elmarianexx

elmarianexx Member

Yeah, without any doubt it is very important that there's music in all of the racing games, because it kinda gives you motivation. The best type of music for racing games is probably dupstep in my opinion, or some sort of rock-metal, but I've also came across of rap music.

5. AmenoKaji

AmenoKaji Member

Very important, in fact, most racing games th at involve drifting I immediately put on my initial D playlist :D the set list in most racing games however tends to suck, so I always have my own music ready to go.

6. Corten

Corten Member

Definitely, Burnout Paradise for example had an amazing soundtrack. If a racing game doesn't have music or I don't like it, I just put on something for myself from YouTube or from Spotify. I love to race to some fast paced music or just cruising around to some chill album.

7. AmenoKaji

AmenoKaji Member

Ohh you're right BUrnout Paradise despite being a kickass game did have a really good soundtrack, i might have to put that bac on my steam playlist. although typically if i can't decide on a music playlist, i'll just put it on pandora and let it randomize songs.

8. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Member

For me it tis important. I remember playing rally car racing on the original XBOX. After playing it for awhile I started loading my own music into the game just so I can hear so upbeat tempo music to get the heart rate up. It does make a difference in the game.

9. Krisi

Krisi New Member

Music is very important. I can't even begin to voice my frustration at racing games that have very little music that suits my taste, or even worse, songs that constantly repeat.

There's nothing more annoying than attempting a long haul race, then feeling like you're listening to the same 3 songs on repeat.

10. mkCampbell

mkCampbell Member

Think about playing a game with the audio not working! That would be sooooo boring. Music, and great sound effects, are an essential part of a good game. Can you imagine the movie Indian Jones or Star Wars without great music?

11. mkCampbell

mkCampbell Member

I've done this with a few games. Mostly when I'm playing something like a quick game of NASCAR or something. I've even listened to the Braves on the radio or something like that as well as some music that I enjoy.

12. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I've never played a game that had too few songs, but I can imagine it is tiring. If that happened to me I'd probably just shut off their music and substitute my own. Luckily these days it's easy to do that since sound effects are separated from the music.

13. GlacialDoom

GlacialDoom Member

Definitely. Not only does it give put you in a good mood or get you pumped up so you can win the race, but it also affects how you will remember that game in the future. For example, I still remember Need for Speed: Most Wanted (the 2005 one) as a really good game with a killer soundtrack. Sometimes, I would boot the game up and just go around free roam so I could listen to the fantastic songs.

14. Sparkster

Sparkster Member

Music is definitely an important factor in any game and not just in racing games. Just think how more exciting and fun Pong would have been when it first came out instead of just hearing 'ping' every time the ball (which was a square!) hit one of the bats! Music is something which we emotionally relate to. When we hear it, we cannot help letting it affect our emotions. Upbeat, fast-paced music like techno or heavy music like metal can help get the adrenaline going when you're playing a racing game.

15. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

Yup. Having the right music can get you even more pumped and excited to play the game. It's like being inside of a movie plot sometimes especially if the game has good storytelling elements.

16. troutski

troutski Active Member

I do get a little sad when some racing games lack a good soundtrack. That can kill the mode. It has to have at least some decent music that fits the overall tone of the game!

17. JohnnyHopkins

JohnnyHopkins Member

I think is it really important. It helps set the mood and can pump you up before a race. The music is what in some cases controls my fate in a race.

18. burtpovski

burtpovski Member

Personally, I don't find it too important. The game play and graphics are what I find to be the most appealing in any racing game. Music is sort of just an addition to the game play, to "spice" things up.

19. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

Lol this happens for me sometimes too. When the right music comes along at the right time of the race I get in the zone and concentrate more than usual.