Is Mario Kart 64 the Best Racing Game?

Discussion in 'Sim Racing' started by tgthewriter1, Apr 1, 2016.

1. tgthewriter1

tgthewriter1 Member

Mario Kart 64 is the best racing game that I have ever played. It has weapons and a bunch of interesting characters. Players can shoot other players to win races. Players can also use tricks like throwing a banana. It has stages that are unforgettable and beautiful. It has a mult-player mode for four people. The game is great for bonding with friends or girlfriends. It is very fun to play the game. I hope everyone gets to experience this game at least once in a life time.

Do you think that Mario Kart 64 is the best racing game?

2. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

It's hard to say what's the best racing game, because I'm sure we'll all have a different opinion.

I'm not even sure that I'd put this in the category of a racing game to be honest, because it's more of a fun, easy to play game rather than a game you can take seriously.

3. ZXD123

ZXD123 Member

Since you narrowed it down to Mario Kart 64, there will be bias towards the game if you have played it as a younger kid and different opinions such as pwarbi said. I remember playing it as a kid and I did have good memories of it. That's all I'm going to say haha!

4. tgthewriter1

tgthewriter1 Member

I know I will get criticized for voicing my opinion about this particular game. But, this video game is one of the best racing games that I have ever played. It is childish to assume that Mario 64 is the best racing game. I understand the concept completely. But, there comes a time when an adult needs a childish game to remind him or her of what really matters in a video game. The part that really matters in a video game is having fun and learning something. Sometimes we adults forget that a game is meant to be fun and exciting. It’s not suppose to be serious and boring. Most of the video games that is being created is focus on seriousness and graphics. I understand that the new generation want something more realistic but a game is suppose to be a game. It is not suppose to be a movie. If I want to watch a movie, I will watch a movie.

spence88 likes this.
  5. spence88

spence88 Member

This. I can definitely relate. Take this for example. I'm already on my late 20's but I still enjoy playing Mario Kart with my friends, who feel the same way too and are also on their late 20's as well! We're not exactly geeks! We have our own jobs and life. But sometimes, when we gather, we play games!

Exactly, one of the reasons why people forget to play the game for fun is because they are playing it competitively. Although I don't look down to competitive gaming, but doing so have the tendency to be overly serious and the gamers completely forget to play it for fun. It's ironic! But again, don't get me wrong, I do not look down on competitive gaming! There are a lot of gamers out there who are being really good and competitive with the games they play, but at the same time, they're having a blast doing so! :)

6. sillylucy

sillylucy Member

Will always love the characters and the power ups too. The weapons were one of the best in the mario kart series. I wish I could just play this game tonight after I watch the Warriors game!

7. rajesh1209

rajesh1209 Member

Well, the concept, graphics and the soundtrack of the game were interesting but I can not call it the best one. We can call a game, 'the best' only if all these three aspects awe wonderful.

8. spectre456

spectre456 Member

Mario Kart 64 is an amazing game, but I feel like Mario Kart 8 perfected the formula. Maybe perfected is the wrong word, but I do believe it's better than Mario Kart 64.

9. Locoton22

Locoton22 Member

I do not really think that it is the best racing game, however it is the best Nintendo's racing game so far, I personally love the way it is developed and all its characters but I disagree with you saying it is the best racing game.

10. Okaviator

Okaviator New Member

This generation I would say the best racing game is Mario Kart Wii. I've just had so many memories playing it with my friends.

11. erook7878

erook7878 Active Member

It's tough to say it's the best racing game ever. I would say that it may be the most fun racing game. It might be the best multiplayer racing game.

12. erook7878

erook7878 Active Member

Mario Kart won't win any awards for realism, but it's certainly a great racing game. I get where you are coming from. It's nowhere near the real driving physics of GT or Forza.

13. erook7878

erook7878 Active Member

I wouldn't put it in the racing game simulator category, but I would consider it a racing game. I do see where you are coming from though. All of the weapons and "non-racing" aspects of mario kart is its best feature.

pwarbi likes this.
  14. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

That's pretty much what I'm saying, and its a great game, there's no doubt about that, I just don't think it's a great racing game for obvious reasons.

Play Mario kart and then play Gran Turismo, both great games, but only one great RACING game...

15. Squigly

Squigly Active Member

It's definitely fun, but there's many other games out there more deserving of that title.

16. erook7878

erook7878 Active Member

It's definitely not comparable to GT. They are certainly in two separate categories altogether. To be fair to Mario Kart, very few games compare to GT. GT is in a real simulator category all by itself.

17. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I would say, for me, it's the best kart racing game, hands down, but as for racing games in general I have a few others I would consider my best. For me that title belongs to burnout because I like the mechanics of it a bit more than getting to use power ups and also I prefer the design since it's arcade type but not cartoony.

18. Gombafej

Gombafej New Member

Yes! I just love it. Best racing game for me hands down. Spent so much hours in that game.

19. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

It's definitely a nice game and obviously the franchise is the main selling point, but in terms of graphics and gameplay there are a lot of better games out there.

20. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I agree and that's what I was trying to get across. Both are great games, but they're uncomparable even though they'll both be in the racing genre.

A lot also depends on the player and what they themselves find fun in a game, and a real driving simulator like GT is, isn't fun for everyone.