How does the multiplayer in GTA V compare to GTA IV?

Discussion in 'GTA Multiplayer' started by Rocketman, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Rocketman

Rocketman Member

So I've heard a little bit about the pros and cons of the GTA V multiplayer. Customization seems like a nice new feature and having stuff to buy with money is always good. I remember that everyone tended to absolutely love GTA IV multiplayer though. How does it compare to GTA V? What did GTA IV do better?

2. Josh

Josh New Member

GTA V launched pretty rocky, but so far it's been an absolute blast. GTA IV felt so constrained and boring in comparison. GTA V just feels so open and free and I can't wait to see where they keep going with it.

3. ENO1986

ENO1986 New Member

That's good to know I remember playing GTA IV once online and after that never again I didn't like it.

4. Laceto

Laceto New Member

The GTA Online is very fun. Rockstar has had (and still has, to be honest) some serious problems with launching it but they are working hard to fix it While GTA IV online delivered some very fun gamemodes, GTA Online has lots of features and the freeroam is awesome. It still has small things that Rockstar needs to fix, but it certainly has the potential to be an awesome game. But in short, the multiplayer in GTA V is a lot better than the one in GTA IV. But that is just my opinion, I'm pretty sure there are people who prefer the GTA IV one.

5. Josh

Josh New Member

Yeah, most of the major game breaking bugs and crashes have been fixed, but you'll still experience some instability probably for a while. They have so many people getting on at the same time plus little kinks to work out, I'm fine with waiting. Besides, it's free.

6. ElectricCake

ElectricCake New Member

The GTAV online experience is much better than GTAIV's, because the differences between them are like night and day. GTAV is like 20x the size of GTAIV, and GTAIV only had a few modes you can play online with others, and after a while, it would get really boring.

7. Screenager1988

Screenager1988 New Member

GTA 5 is much, much better. When it actually works lol.

Now that it is working there is so much more to do, buying your own cars, your own house. Playing missions with people instead of it just turning into one death match after another. I loved GTA 4's multiplayer, but I could tell it was just an after though add on. Not GTA 5, real work has been put in here.

8. 4justice

4justice Member

GTA IV online was good back when it came out. So I don't want to take anything from it. But with that said, Rockstar refined the multiplayer in GTA V so much that you can only see GTA IV's multiplayer as a beta at best.

9. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Member

GTA IV's multiplayer was so unstructured and felt like it wasn't tested in comparison to the awesomeness that is GTA Online.

10. 4justice

4justice Member

Oh it was tested. It's just it was unstructered just like you said. It's the first GTA game to gone full online so it's only natural that GTA V's online makes it look weak. The funny thing is nobody really noticed how weak it was UNTIL GTA V's online component released.

11. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Member

Actually GTA 2 was the first GTA game to have official multiplayer.
    I don't know why noone seems to know that...
    But yeah GTAIV's multiplayer was super weak and it had basicly no customization besides your charachter it was quite sad and boring. I can't wait to see what they may add to it in the future.

12. 4justice

4justice Member

Yeah...I lose points for not remembering GTA 2 had online. But it was never really touched so it was so easy to forget, even if you try not to.

But as for GTA Online's future, the only thing I can see them adding us more mini game instances and customizations.

13. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Member

Yeah, I suppose. I played a bit of it and it was a blast. Yeah, I agree with that but I'm pretty sure they mentioned that the LS area isn't the only area that's going to be in GTA Online so I'm interested in what that means..

14. bullbrand

bullbrand New Member

I think GTAV has such a superior edge over GTAIV's multiplayer. It feels more like a standalone game with a wide variety of missions and activities etc. Also the customisation options greatly enhance its play time.

15. ENO1986

ENO1986 New Member

I heard GTA V online is tons of fun, but it can be very annoying at the same time because of the constant killing.

16. daimashin

daimashin New Member

I've played GTA 4's MP and it's a sure thing that GTA 5's MP is leaps and bounds better. GTA 4's online felt more like a tacked on feature and a beta compared to GTA 5's online. Sure it was fun running and gunning other players but it didn't have the contents GTA 5 has.

17. fromtheground

fromtheground New Member

While there is A LOT more to do in V, I am mostly bored of it right now. It's just the same kinds of missions in different settings, races and whatnot. Unless you have a fun, active crew or friends, it might get boring really quickly.

18. 4justice

4justice Member

Well it feels more like a standalone game because Rockstar themselves treated it as such. Just think about how GTA V was released nearly 2 months before they unleashed the online component of the game.

That in itself tells me they see it as pretty much it's own product outside of the original GTA V

19. jordan wilkins

jordan wilkins New Member

GTA IV's online play lagged a lot and did not even come close to the gameplay in GTA V. GTA V has so much more options and things you can do.

20. dinomarino1

dinomarino1 Member

I prefer GTA 4 any day. They took out the only fun multiplayer mode (cops and robbers). the mission system is boring and takes the fun out of how the single player missions were. The map in gta 4 was way more fun in my opinion and its sad to see a big company sell out and create such a hunk of garbage!