First impressions of Chinatown Wars

Discussion in 'GTA Chinatown Wars' started by undertehwinter, May 28, 2015.

1. undertehwinter

undertehwinter New Member

I just started playing it today for the first time. And while already im impressed by the vastness, i still have a few...Complaints.

THe handling of cars, for one, is pretty terrible. I crash left right and centre into every car and wall and this that and the other. I've always adapted well to GTA controls and i hope i do so with this, but it will take a while.
    Losing the cops is just awkward. Full stop.

Cut scenes seem a bit oo-err. Because there is no audible dialogue and its all read i guess it has a harder time captivating the player and so on.

These are just three things that bother me. To get the ball rolling.
    SO, what are yours?

2. Totalarmordestine

Totalarmordestine New Member

I thought the handling was fine, the cars auto-center to the road so unless you keep tapping left/right or there's heavy traffic then you're just a bad driver :p
    I loved smashing cop cars out the way to lose them, thought it was a great new way of doing things. I didn't play it for long but I guess it could get annoying. On the DS at least I'd rather be doing that than evading them.
    Don't really mind about the cutscenes, it's not a game I'll play to keep me captivated for long periods of time, it's a game I'll play in short stints.

3. tarverten

tarverten New Member

I've noticed that Rockstar have used a number of audio files from Vice City, San Andreas and LCS in CTW. Some cars sound the same as they did in San Andreas, but I can barely tell the difference between cars =\ Also, I seem to bump into Admirals a lot (...)

In a way, I feel as if it's a step backwards in some areas, not because of the graphics but some gameplay elements annoy me *cough camera*

4. blastguardgear

blastguardgear New Member

I absolutely love it. I found the handling quite fun, it's entertaining smashing into cars left and right while driving fast. For a DS game I think the graphics are pretty stunning too, the 3D modeling looks real good. The sound is perfect and the radio is fairly good too. I think it's really cool when you put the DS on standby (close the screen) and when you open it, it makes a sound such as "Welcome to the party.". It's much better than I thought.

I also did a rampage which was great fun, burning a bunch of rasta's for money! The drug system works great and is a perfect way to earn money.

5. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Member

A good game to play, though not as good as the other GTA IV Era games. The drugs dealing minigame is awesome, as is the return to over-the-top gameplay. Good minigames. Graphics for DS pretty sucky though.

6. niiro17

niiro17 Member

I hated it. I don't like top down view of GTA China town wars but I got used to it. It was boring at first but eventually will get better.

7. raceman998

raceman998 Member

That means that you hated it. Do you like the game? What was the thing that changed your opinion of this game from good to bad?

8. junmun

junmun New Member

This game is good but it is not that much impressive. The game is very different from the other GTA games and honestly, it does not look like GTA game in my opinion. The developers should have added some new features and some new locations to the game. My first impression was neutral and unlike other GTA games, I was not excited.

9. sidney

sidney Member

I think it's a good game overall, but it's specifically tailored for the Nintendo DS platform, so no wonder the controls feel a little odd than the other versions.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2017
  10. Shine_Spirit

Shine_Spirit Active Member

Honestly, I was expecting so much more. I really didn't like it (at least not so far). I'll have to play a few more times to change my mind (or not).

11. jakub1

jakub1 Member

I wasn't really impressed by it, since i was expecting far more than what was presented, other than controls feeling a bit odd, the map over is really sub-par.

12. holmes22

holmes22 New Member

I was a little disappointed as well, but I also know that I had some high hopes. This might be the one that I actually learned not to get myself all worked up.

13. jakub1

jakub1 Member

Indeed, sometimes it's better to limit your expectations and focus more on what's available or possible.

14. Kevin Johns

Kevin Johns New Member

Playing it as a retro and keep my expectations really low. It's funny now.

15. walter12

walter12 Active Member

Well you can never go wrong with having low expectations