Do you use a gaming steering wheel?

Discussion in 'Sim Racing' started by Ghost Rider, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider Member

I love playing racing games at the arcades because it has a steering wheel. It's a different experience playing with a steering wheel rather than just using a regular controller. But when I play on my console, I just use a regular controller because I don't have the extra cash to purchase a gaming steering wheel. Maybe someday, I'll be able to buy one. What about you? Do you use a gaming steering wheel?
    [​IMG]

2. davis

davis Active Member

I used to have one made by Microsoft and the fun wore out quickly. Then it started collecting dust on a shelf so I tore it to pieces when I had nothing better to do. Maybe the newer stuff is better but I don't see myself mounting one every time I feel like racing.

3. Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider Member

Yeah, the problem with these types of controllers is that they are only compatible with a select number of games (namely racing games). But man I don't play racing games exclusively on my consoles. It's cool to use a steering wheel but I don't think that it's worth the money.

4. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I prefer to just use a controller, but that's mostly just due to my own shortcomings. I could never get as accurate as I could on a steering wheel as much as I could on a controller, since I can just tap the directional button on my controller to adjust whereas when using a steering wheel, usually the slightest extra movement makes for a huge different in my turns and adjustment, but I suppose it's just a matter of getting used to it. I just never had that much patience for it.

5. rossonomous

rossonomous Member

I don't, however when I was at a gaming festival recently, I used one of those proper chairs that has a wheel and gears and everything. It tilts and vibrates too, a really cool experience.

Shame they cost LOADS

6. msreebaybay

msreebaybay Member

I never really used a steering wheel. I did have a friend who owned a steering wheel, and I remember going over his house playing his racing games with it. It was a fun experience, but it is not something I would get personally.

7. jordanmc97

jordanmc97 New Member

If I had the funds, I'd buy the full setup, G27 wheel/pedals/gearstick or Fanatec, It makes the experience so much better, I think it improves gameplay aswell, but it makes a game much more serious rather than a quick break from reality IMHO, choose what you find most enjoyable.

8. Kandikkal

Kandikkal Member

I have never used a gaming wheel. I think it is a bulky setup to have at home for gaming. I prefer keyboard and mouse or a simple joystick.

9. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Member

I got one recently and have been reconfiging all my racing games on PC for it. I'm pretty happy with it too. It really adds alot immersion and It's REALLY ALOT OF FUN HOLY CRAP. Playing the original Sega Rally has been absolutely AMAZEBALLS FUN.

10. speedfreak

speedfreak New Member

A gaming steering wheel at home is something that I've always wanted to try, although I've never got around to it. Still, I wouldn't pay a premium price for one. I do remember playing Ridge Racer in the arcades, and that was a truly enjoyable experience with both the steering wheel and the pedals.

11. rebel

rebel New Member

Only while playing some games. I like to play trucker simulators with my controller for example, but for games that require faster response from my side, ones that have faster gameplay, I'll definitely use my keyboard.

12. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

@rebel - I know what you mean. Some games are much better played with a controller, especially slower paced ones like truck simulators, while more fast paced games might be better played with a more immersive controller like the steering wheel and pedal.

13. FosterTXT

FosterTXT Member

I actually just got an adaptor that allows me to use my old Madcatz MC2 steering wheel for the PlayStation 1 on my PC. It is a whole other experience playing racing games with a steering wheel, I don't think I can ever go back to playing racing games with a regular controller.

14. Jun Yun

Jun Yun Member

Sadly, I don't have one. But I do want to own one as I tried it in my friends house playing GT5 and it was a great experience, he even have a custom racing seat set up in front of his TV. And I loved that it vibrates in conjunction with the road.

Too bad it costs too much.

15. wowtgp

wowtgp Member

I used to use them, but I prefer to play with controllers rather than a steering wheel. I am looking forward to using it with Oculous Rift on.

16. Dez97

Dez97 Member

I like to use a controller more than a steering wheel honestly, but sometimes the steering wheel is also really really fun.

17. jurew2

jurew2 Member

I currently don't own a gaming steering wheel, but when I was younger I had it and played with it all the time. I think it was from Microsoft and when I look back, I really miss playing the racing games with a steering wheel. You really get a feeling that you are the one driving the car (or even a feeling that you're driving a real car) and that is in my opinion really important in a racing game experience.

18. xilezaturo

xilezaturo Member

I find that a good controller works almost as well. I used to strictly play racing games with a keyboard and then keyboard/mouse. I didn't even use the a,w,s,d keys but the arrow keys. It wasn't nearly as fun. When I had a PS3 - I thought the dualshock 3 controller did a great job with acceleration/deceleration of a particular vehicle.

That's what I always hated about driving games. You couldn't control the speed of the car and had to tap the button and then let go to drive at a certain speed. Unless of course you played on MT, but even then it was rather lousy.

That is why the racing steering wheel controller is the best.

19. Rohan99

Rohan99 Member

I have never used a steering wheel when playing a car game. I would love to try it one day because it seems like fun. The ones that have the gas pedal and the gear box would make a great addition to my gaming experience.

20. elmarianexx

elmarianexx Member

I used to, but not anymore though.