Do you prefer more realistic games (a la Gran Turismo), or more arcadey games (a la Burnout 3/4)?

Discussion in 'Sim Racing' started by zambothegreat, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Danilo Bojic

Danilo Bojic New Member

Realistic works better for me, I like how you gotta pay the price for bad driving, certainly gives you a motivation unique to the genre.

2. nickjt

nickjt Member

It depends on what kind of mood I'm in, sometimes I will want to smash cars into each other whilst flying through the air, while other times I want to play something more realistic that takes skill and effort. I think if I had to choose one then I would go for realistic as it is generally more of a challenge.

3. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

Good point. Cartoon type racing games rarely punish you for bumping your car, at least not realistically, but that's actually what I like about them because I really don't want to have to worry about my car getting too wrecked, and I suppose that's why these variations exist.

4. FosterTXT

FosterTXT Member

I like both types of games, but I definitely prefer racing games like Grand Turismo as they have a more realistic look and feel to them. I will still play arcade type racing game's though depending on what kind of mood I am in, like Shylax said.

5. Dez97

Dez97 Member

I go for more realistic games, I like to be familiar and can relate to what I'm playing and realistic games give me that familiarity.

6. jurew2

jurew2 Member

I'm playing both of the games, but I preffer the Burnout versions of racing games better then the more realistic ones. I like when I can do something in a game that is not possible in the real life and when you do that in a game you can't get punished like in real life. I drive a car in real life and I don't really need a game that lets me to do that in a virtual world that much. I preffer having the choice of getting all of my stress out on a car in a vritual world in a game, like burning the tires, doing tricks etc.

7. Rohan99

Rohan99 Member

I think a combination of both realistic and arcadey is good. I like realistic games but too realistic makes it more like a simulator and that can get boring after a while. I like the fantasy aspect of some racing games because they provide a lot of fun for me.

8. teabwoi

teabwoi Member

I think that I prefer games like burnout more simply because I seem to have more fun when I am playing them. I don't have as much fun when I playing games like Grand Tourismo. I like Grand Turismo, but I will tell you that when it comes to playing games with my friends that I think that I have a lot more fun when I am playing games like burnout.

9. xilezaturo

xilezaturo Member

When it comes to Need For Speed games then I would prefer to play arcade-y. Gran Turismo is my choice for simulation mode. I have played too many arcade racing games, compared to simulation. My next racing game to play would be something to do with car destruction physics.

10. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

@jurew2 same here. I like Burnout so much because I think racing to first place has gotten a bit boring to me so adding some extra elements such as takedown or having to outsmart cops like in Most Wanted sort of gives an additional dimension to racing games.

11. Artune

Artune Member

I would probably prefer more arcadey style games as I bought gran turismo, even though it is great I get bored after a while as it isn't massively exciting and local multiplayer is crap. Arcade style games are fun to play with friends and normally can push the boundary of realism to make the game more exciting.

12. jetliposting

jetliposting New Member

Hands down simulator games. Arcade games are...well...too arcade, the 'excitement' that these types of games should deliver is fabricated, fake and annoying, if you ask me. I like games in which the hardest part is to keep the bloody car on the ideal racing line.

13. MissBin

MissBin Member

I just can't decide because i like both. Sometimes i just want to play arcade games like burnout 3 and on the next occassion i just want to play realistic games like Need for Speed or Gran Turismo. I think i have played more arcade games because they are a bit more interesting to play and you can customize more things.

14. troutski

troutski Active Member

Both types of racing games are fine, and I don't have a particular preference. There's a handful of games on both sides that are too incredible to have a preference for realistic or arcade racers.

15. TheViper

TheViper Member

Games like Burnout are my kind of games to play. I love realism but having fun is more important to me. With games like Burnout it just presents itself in a better way. If I had to choose between playing Burnout or GT then I wouldn't hesitate to choose Burnout.

16. sillylucy

sillylucy Member

I like realistic games when I am playing at home and I like arcade style when I am gaming on my phone or on a tablet. It really depends on the platform. Arcade works best for me on the go because I don't have to sit through story modes and I can just pick up and play.

17. Squigly

Squigly Active Member

Depends on what I'm in the mood for, and whether I'm playing alone or with friends.

Casual fun with friends: Party games like Mario Kart :D

Competitive, playing online by yourself: Gran Turismo

18. RadialPerson

RadialPerson Member

I find the arcade games to just be a more fun experience overall. Games like Need for Speed and Burnout are without a doubt more entertaining to me than Gran Turismo. The speed you can reach in corners in arcade games just adds a much higher level of fun for me. I also prefer the open world racing game type compared to track racing which I find a little too limited and repetitive. It's like the difference between Call of Duty and ARMA, the vast majority of people will find CoD more fun especially when you just want to relax and not have to focus 100% of the time so you don't lose control or crash.

19. SonicSlayer

SonicSlayer Member

I prefer the balance you mentioned. I feel the best of the racing games nowadays Burnout Paradise; it was great on every way.

But if I have to pick one type, it would have to be the arcade kind, I get pretty bored of more realistic ones quick.

20. camsdad

camsdad New Member

I dont drive in real life so i go with the arcadey games. Cruising USA is still my jam at the movie theater.

21. Gin0710

Gin0710 Member

It is fun to have virtual experiences with real race car driving, but I like to have fun with the arcade games. I think that is why I prefer Mario Kart out of any racing game because it's fun, it's intense during battle mode, and there really aren't any rules. It's awesome!