Do you consider Saints Row as a GTA knock off?

Discussion in 'GTA General Discussion' started by beccagreen, Sep 17, 2014.

1. beccagreen

beccagreen New Member

I was playing Saints Row 2 the other day on my 360 as some sort of farewell to my old console since I'm planning on giving it away this Christmas and my brother walked in my room and he made a comment about Saints Row being a "GTA copy cat".

I've been playing Saints Row ever since it's release on the 360 and I never really thought that it's a knock off, I mean sure it shares the same formula but anybody who has played it can tell something is different.

But I guess the developers got tired of this association with GTA so they really overhauled the franchise when they released Saints Row The Third which I think is a pretty brilliant game.

2. DjoBoy

DjoBoy New Member

Saints Row 2 was very similar to San Andreas, but Saints Row The Third and 4 were very different.
    When Saints Row 2 got released, people complained that it was a GTA rip-off, so I think that developers decided to change a bit of things and they made Saints Row The Third and 4 a bit futuristic or Matrix-like game.

1 person likes this.
  3. Henry

Henry New Member

Well, maybe not a knock off, but it is definitely the same type of game. I don't see it as a bad thing. Hell, I wish they would knock off some of my favorite games so I can have more to play.

1 person likes this.
  4. Strykstar

Strykstar Member

I think that it started off that way, especially Saints Row 1 and Saints Row 2, but after that it spun off into it's own thing with a lot of crazy antics and zanyness.

1 person likes this.
  5. spectre456

spectre456 Member

I don't consider Saints Row a knockoff at all. Sure, it has a very similar formula to the GTA series, especially the first two games, but that doesn't make it a knockoff, just plain competition. Come Saints Row the Third and 4 and things changed radically though, they went for more over the top humor and gameplay and that set it apart from GTA in the end.

1 person likes this.
  6. LanceVance

LanceVance New Member

There was a game that I used to play many years ago on the Gamecube called "True Crime" that was definitely a knock off GTA.

1 person likes this.
  7. jurew2

jurew2 Member

I wouldn't say that this game is a knock off of GTA, but it is a similar game to GTA. The people that want to see it as a knock off will see it as a knock off, because when you play the game you feel almost the same as you would be playing GTA, yet it is somehow different.

1 person likes this.
  8. Blacklist#25

Blacklist#25 New Member

Well it's the same thing for every other game. It's not a knock off they just happen to use the same formula. I really hate it when people say that Saints Row is the same as GTA because it's not, hell even GTA SA and GTA VC doesn't look and feel the same.

1 person likes this.
  9. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Member

It's in the GTA Clone Genre to be sure.

1 person likes this.
  10. beccagreen

beccagreen New Member

I'm kind of glad that most people here aren't so much of a hardcore GTA fan type that antagonizes every game of the same genre. I figured that if Saint's Row came first I think GTA would be called a Saints Row copy cat.

Kind of like Uncharted, some people call it a Tomb Raider rip off which is yes in some way but if you've played it you'll know the difference.

1 person likes this.
  11. LanceVance

LanceVance New Member

Yeah, I agree. GTA was a new experience in gaming. Any game that involves a player walking around town, beating up people, and able to drive cars, would probably be considered a GTA knockoff.

12. beccagreen

beccagreen New Member

Which makes me think, Rockstar really did hit the spot with this game.

13. sidney

sidney Member

I have not played Saints Row yet, but I just want to ask your opinion on this game? Is this as enjoyable as a GTA game to the point that you would recommend it, or it's a lame copycat? I will download this game if it's worth it.

14. edthebig

edthebig Member

I dont think I would consider it a knockoff, I mean sure it has a lot of the aspects of GTA but I think it's more of an homage to GTA rather than a knockoff. It's like a parody, and like they say: "Imitation is the greatest form of flattery".

15. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Member

At this point, I think that Saint's Row has now become something on its own. It's more and more becoming different from GTA. Initially, though, it definitely seemed like a GTA rip-off.

16. AresBlade

AresBlade New Member

Yeah I think when they got started they were definitely a take on GTA, but as others have mentioned they've really come into their own and now they're something all to themselves. I'm not a huge fan of SR, but they do some innovative things.

17. MisterRay97

MisterRay97 New Member

Yes, it is kind-of a knock-off GTA, but the developers have managed to change a lot of things and include some stuff which is unique to the game. I've only played Saints Row: The Third, but I had a lot of fun. I like their co-op campaign mode. I guess implementing something like that in GTA would make it more fun.

18. Strykstar

Strykstar Member

The first two games definitely felt like a bad GTA, then it really spun off into something completely unique :)

19. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Member

I agree. Saint's Row the Third and Saint's Row 4 were the changing point.They really became their own game at that point. Before, it was kind of a generic GTA clone that involved gangs, like San Andreas.

20. Nevi

Nevi New Member

Saints Row has it's own twist to the game, Insane characters and gameplay. :)