Best arcade racing games?

Discussion in 'Sim Racing' started by elmarianexx, Aug 14, 2015.

1. elmarianexx

elmarianexx Member

I've heard some good reviews of Out Run, should I look it up? What are your thoughts?

2. GlacialDoom

GlacialDoom Member

The best arcade "racing" game is Crazy Taxi, no doubt. You don't really race others, but you race against the time through a city, picking up fares and dropping people off at certain locations, all while listening to some amazing music.

3. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Member

Outrun is a very old racing game. That was out when I was a kid 20+ years ago. Maybe back then, that game was decent at best in my opinion. Hydro Thunder was a better arcade style boat racing game. I have played Crazy Taxi in the arcades and it was different. It wasn't racing against other taxis. It was to pick up and drop off people for fares.

4. troutski

troutski Active Member

Outrun wasn't even a good game the day it came out. Are you kidding?

5. troutski

troutski Active Member

We're all talking about the same crappy Outrun, right?

6. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Member

There is only one Outrun in the arcades. Here's a snapshot.

It came out back in 1986. Most of you here weren't even born yet. If you don't believe me, then check this out: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Out_Run

[​IMG]

7. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

Yeah, Outrun is really, really outdated so I don't think you should take this game into consideration. There aren't too many arcade racing games, but as others have already said Crazy Taxi is a good option.

8. Susime

Susime Active Member

Have arcade games died out in recent years? Maybe I'm just not looking but I haven't seen any lately.

Anyway, I'd say the best arcade racers for me are Burnout 1 & 2, and I'd have to add on the Road Rash series. If we're talking arcade racers you can play in an arcade then definitely Daytona USA.

9. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Member

When Daytona first came out in the Arcades it was a sight to behold. It was truly innovative at the time. Soon after there was a bunch of other racing games that did follow. But it's too bad the port over to the Sega Saturn was bad. I bought it for the Saturn and they tried to copy it but it just fell short of the arcade experience. A 2D console trying to render a 3D arcade machine. It wasn't pretty.

10. BluBird

BluBird Member

For me it's MotorStorm Apocalypse. One of the best, and most underappreciated, racing series of the PS3 era.

11. Susime

Susime Active Member

I remember first coming across it in the mid-90's in an arcade on holiday. I couldn't get enough of it.

I did hear they ported it to console but likewise I hear it pretty much flopped. Do you think if it was ported to the consoles of today it would be able to recapture the feel of the arcade experience?

12. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

My favorite will always be Daytona because I loved the handling in that game the most. Other games just had too loose of controls where you would turn the wheel a little and the car would make a 360 but with Daytona the controls were much more contained and the wheels even had some resistance to them.

13. Denis Hard

Denis Hard Member

I also think that Crazy Taxi, is one of the best arcade racing games . . .

. . . but if I must pick the very best, I'm torn between giving that #1 spot to it [Crazy Taxi] and Blur.

For those of you who played Blur, what say you to this? Was it great or not?

14. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I've never played blur but I agree that crazy taxi is one of the best racing games out there even if it's not technically a racing game. The fact that you have an additional challenge of picking up customers on top of beating a time limit adds a lot to the experience.

15. TheGameSlayer

TheGameSlayer New Member

Out Run was a cool game though. Why is everyone downgrading it? Other good arcade racing games are Cruis' n World and Super Hang On from Sega Genesis. These are classic games.

16. Squigly

Squigly Active Member

I'm hard-pressed between Daytona and Initial D myself. Both were really popular and well-made arcade game machines.

17. softonic

softonic New Member

I used to play Crazy Taxi a lot. But I stopped, I was bored. Daytona was great too. I can remember playing these two games :)

18. Squigly

Squigly Active Member

Can't believe I forgot Crazy Taxi! That game was loads of fun.

19. wallcat

wallcat New Member

Wow, Out Run takes me back. I remember playing that as a kid. Racing games have really moved along since them. Burnout is my favourite. I have a good feel for the physics behind it and I like seeing the cars crumple up.

20. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

Excellent choice, yes, crazy taxi was super fun both in arcades and even in home consoles because those even had extra game modes. Even their tablet version is pretty good even though they sacrifice a lot of the regular features.