Any good recent martial arts films?

Discussion in 'Film and Television' started by zambothegreat, Oct 11, 2013.

1. zambothegreat

zambothegreat Member

The most recent martial arts film I watched was probably the sequel to Ip Man, which I think came out in 2010. Any good recent ones that are of the same caliber as an Ong Bak, or Ip Man, or Fearless?

2. Racer X

Racer X Member

I saw that Quentin Tarantino was putting together his own take on Ip Man's story.. Believe it's called Grandmaster. I actually think it's out already, but I haven't seen it so I can't comment on the quality. But if it's a movie about Bruce Lee's master.. it CAN'T suck.

I also heard that Journey To The West(the story Dragon Ball Z is loosely based on) was being adapted into a movie.. I'm thinking that that might be good. Haven't seen it though.

Lol, I've got to go watch me some movies now.

3. zambothegreat

zambothegreat Member

I just looked up The Grandmaster. Looks pretty cool. Apparently Scorcese is "lending his name" to the film, not unlike Tarantino lending his name to The Protector. It's directed by Wong Kar-wai. Thanks for the rec.

4. davis

davis Active Member

Guys, it doesn't hurt to link a trailer for the rest of us!

It was released in August in US and Canada and it comes out on DVD by the end of November. For UK I'm not sure.

Racer X likes this.
  5. TopRacer

TopRacer New Member

Undisputed 1, 2 + 3 are all really good martial arts films. They're relatively new in the grand scheme of things. Although it isn't based around traditional martial arts, a lot of the fighting contains moves from karate, MMA, Muay Thai and others.

6. Farrah

Farrah Member

Come on, these movies are only good when their lips are moving and the words are ahead of what they are saying..... They used to have karate movies on fox every Samuri Saturday.... ah how I miss those days.

7. AlexTraveller

AlexTraveller Member

Hmm, now that I think about it, I haven't watched a martial arts movie in a long, long time. I should get back to watching them - I really love 'em!

C'mon guys, post more suggestions!

8. randee555

randee555 Member

I haven't watched a martial arts movie in a very long time. Do they even make any anymore?! I used to love them as a kid but so much changes over time.

9. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I don't watch martial arts movies all that much anymore but I thoroughly enjoyed IP Man. I don't even like watching with subtitles but the movie was good enough to keep me interested and not mind that I needed to read subtitles. There are 3 installments to it and I liked all of them.

10. wowtgp

wowtgp Member

You need to watch The Shawolin Soccer and Kung Fu Hustle. These 2 movies are best I know.