Analog stick vs D-pad

Discussion in 'Mario Kart' started by Ghost Rider, Aug 9, 2014.

1. Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider Member

I use the analog stick to control my kart in MK8. The problem with the analog stick though is that it's kinda sensitive. There are times when I just wanna press left, I accidentally press diagonal left which causes a soft drift. Do you think that the D-pad is a great alternative to the analog stick? Is it more effective?

2. kaineparker

kaineparker Member

I use the analog stick. I tend to just use it in whatever games I play if it's available. I also use analog for pretty much any racing game I play. I'm a PC gamer with a pretty fast mouse, so the transition isn't too difficult after a while.

3. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Member

Analogue stick for a game like this, for me it really depends on the age of the game and weather or not it was made for a d-pad.

4. Askani

Askani Member

I like the D pad better. It is more what i am used to using. Never have been crazy about the controllers for the Nintendo systems though.

5. Balaal

Balaal Member

I don't think I've ever used the d-pad on ANY racer. Not sure how that would work out. Has to be pretty awkward.

6. apalaze

apalaze New Member

I haven't used a D pad when there is an option for analog in along time. However I guess it wouldn't be to awkward to use. Just use whatever you are most comfortable with and you won't go wrong.

7. jurew2

jurew2 Member

I use analog stick for almost every or maybe every racing game that I play. For me it isn't too sensitive and it feels better to play racing games with analog stick oppossite of the D pad, but to be honest I didn't try playing MK8 with the D pad yet so I don't know if it is better than the analog stick or not.

8. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I prefer using the direction buttons because the analog sticks are too sensitive. I prefer tapping them back into alignment.

9. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Member

No, for any racing game, I prefer using the analog stick. It just controls easier and more smoothly, when it comes to movement and drifting, than the d-pad for me.

10. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Member

When you need precision in the direction that you're moving in, the D-pad is best to use. When you want a bit more free movement, the analog stick is better. When playing a fighting game, I think that the D-pad is best.

11. joebel

joebel New Member

I like the analogue stick. It allows for more precision by letting you go "half-way" instead of a cut and dry left or right turn.

12. Solar

Solar Member

I just use the analog stick honestly. The only game I prefer d-pad for is for Wipeout for some reason, but I use analog stick on every other game including Mario Kart.

13. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Member

The analog stick is better for diagonal directions. The d-pad is better for the normal directions. I still like the analog stick better because movement in video games feels more free when you use an analog stick.

14. RamZor

RamZor Member

Analog sticks just feels more satisfying to use. D-pad is probably better but its less fun :D

15. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Member

Weirdly enough, I feel the same way. I just like the analog stick better. The only time I don't is when I'm playing a fighting game.

16. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Member

For a racing game, analog stick is definitely the way to go. I never use the d-pad for a racing game. You need something a bit more free for those drifting maneuvers.

17. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Member

I'd expect so, as well. Wouldn't the turning be a bit more difficult? It seems like it would cause you to turn very tightly. That would only work for tight turns.

18. Solar

Solar Member

The dpad honestly feels pretty good for some games for some reason. Like I mentioned, I like it in Wipeout and Sega All-Stars Racing Transformed (though I'm forced to use the stick for plane sections). Though maybe that's because I play them on the Vita which has a fantastic dpad. I wouldn't use the 360 controller's dpad for anything.