What is your favorite operating system?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Marcus, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Marcus

Marcus Member

What is your favorite operating system? I use Ubuntu a lot these days, which is a distribution of Linux and I absolutely prefer it over Windows. Sad thing is I use Windows 8 on my school laptop and I hate it. Doesn't ever want to work right, but I'm afraid to install Ubuntu side by side with it, because I have the Lenovo twist laptops and I hear a lot of people have problems after installing any other OS. :(

Anyways, what's your favorite OS?

2. orz

orz Member

The only thing about Ubuntu/Linux is the lack of support for games/programs/hardware if it wasn't for that I'd be on it, but until they do I'll stick with good old Windows 7.

3. davis

davis Active Member

Not just that but I find it hard to do any creative work on Linux with zero support for the best editors out there. But for coding, it's the best environment. I still prefer Windows for an all-in-one platform.

4. SpiralArchitect

SpiralArchitect Member

Windows. Most other OS require to put too much effort into doing simple things like playing a game and don't even get me started on Mac OS.

5. randee555

randee555 Member

I'm a Windows kind of girl. I've always loved Windows and my favorite is Windows 7. Windows 8 is okay but I feel like they should have stayed with the traditional look.

6. rossonomous

rossonomous Member

I prefer Windows for general everyday use + office use.

I prefer Linux for when it comes to programming and doing development work.

7. Kandikkal

Kandikkal Member

I have been using Windows OSes from the start itself. So I don't think I will switch to Linux or any other. My favorite one is Windows 7, it looks cool and is also very functional.

8. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I like Windows 7 but I prefer the design of Vista. I know I can just customize it but I choose to just leave it alone. I'd like to try Windows 8 but it doesn't look very functional on a laptop and I've heard others say it too so I'm holding off until they fix it.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  9. Kandikkal

Kandikkal Member

Do you really think Vista has better design than 7? What specifically do you like more in Vista than in 7?

10. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

It's an odd opinion, I know, but I really hate the quick launch icons area of Win7 and found it to be like a step backwards in that it reminds me of XP. I think that Vista's overall design was much sleeker. It's just too bad that it wasn't very well made overall past that.

11. Kandikkal

Kandikkal Member

Vista was an eye candy when you compare it with 2000 or XP. But it surely lacked in certain areas. Microsoft found their base again only in Windows 7. I haven't used 8 and I am not going to. I hope they make it big with the next OS in pipeline.

12. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Member

Windows XP. I loved it very much. When I upgraded to 7 it took so long to get used to it because I was so used to XP. I knew everything and every corner of XP and then when I had to switch I was sad. None the less. It's my favorite OS.

13. matrixor

matrixor Member

My favorite operating system is Windows 7. XP is my second favorite. Both are great, but Windows 7 just suits me better. I also think It's better.

14. BBarnett22

BBarnett22 New Member

Windows 7 has been the best operating system thus far.
    I have tried Windows 8, didn't have the feel that I like when I want to get on a computer. I don't like the square blocks kind of setup.
    Windows XP was okay.

I can not stand Linux or Ubuntu, any off brand operating systems just confuse me.

15. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

Agreed! I think the Vista design was sleek and sexy, or at least sleek enough for the technology available at the time, but ultimately, the performance was lacking which was too bad. I hope they make a better one on the next OS too as I'm not really that impressed with Windows 8 either.

16. Kandikkal

Kandikkal Member

Me too. Some of my friends are using 8.1 and they say it has some issues with running older games. So I decided to stick with 7 for now.

17. froggy666

froggy666 Member

I still like Windows 7. It's the first in a long time that seemed to work. They failed with 8 as it focused on touch devices so I don't really want to use it. I feel like I'll use 7 until Microsoft finally come up with an OS that is meant for games.

18. AndreiFL

AndreiFL Member

I use Win 7, since it's still good for gaming.

19. burtpovski

burtpovski Member

I've only tried Windows and Mac for operating systems on the computer. Personally, I'd say that they both have their ups and downs. Windows is good in general, but Mac is better for video editing and such. I think I'd go with Windows for sure. I've been using Windows ever since I got a computer. Plus, Mac computers are pretty expensive.

20. Kamarsun1

Kamarsun1 Member

My Favorite OS is OS X. I'm a big Apple fan. I'm a artist and producer and I just like the mac apps better, mainly Logic Pro X.