Sony Official Says Sony and Evolution ‘Embarassed’ By Driveclub Launch

Discussion in 'Racing Game Central News' started by Shawn Hopkins, Dec 11, 2014.

1. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Driveclub’s launch was, let’s face it, more like a 10-car pileup than a glorious street race we were promised. Although the game is gorgeous and fun now with its new realistic weather update, server issues at launch made the PS4’s flagship racer a frustrating experience.

It’s comforting to know, however, that the people who messed up the launch have the humility to feel bad about it.

“It’s a disappointment,” PlayStation UK boss Fergal Gara told IGN. “When you lay your soul out as being ‘4ThePlayers’, then what you certainly don’t want is games that are not fully ready. It certainly wasn’t any ill-intention on behalf of the team. It’s ambitious as a game; they’re as embarrassed as we are and all you can do in those situations is say sorry.”

Gara said the free PlayStation Plus version of the game won’t come until Sony and Evolution are sure they can deliver it without overloading the servers and sending the game into another spinout.

“We apologize to any players affected and are doing our damndest to make things right. So that’s what we’ve been doing and the game is pretty near-complete now. We don’t want to introduce the PS Plus Edition until we’re confident the servers can take the load.

“Unleashing it on the millions of PS Plus users is the next step, but we want confidence in the capacity and concurrency figures. I’ll say again: we apologize and are trying to sort it, and we’ll hopefully learn from it so we see it less in future,” he said.

The post Sony Official Says Sony and Evolution ‘Embarassed’ By Driveclub Launch appeared first on Racing Game Central.

Continue reading...

2. ducklord

ducklord Member

When they give you semi-complete products they should be forced (by law) to accept a semi-complete payment from your side as well.

"So, you charge me $60 for a `game`, but you only offer me half-a-game with a promise to complete it later? OK, here's half-the-$60 from me, with the promise I'll give you the rest when you give me my frickin' game"!

Gee, I'm getting old... :p

3. Squigly

Squigly Active Member

All this is just damage control in my opinion, the launch was one of the most disastrous I have ever witnessed for any videogame. At least they are giving away free DLC, which is great for purchasers of the game.

4. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

The apology sounds sincere to me. I'm not exactly sure of the details about what happened during launch but I'm guessing it is probably embarrassing since there already delayed it significantly. I'm glad they are the type of company to own up to their mistakes, though, and i hope they compensate the players who paid for the game well for the inconvenience.

5. ducklord

ducklord Member

@Wubwub It's not that it is or isn't sincere. It's that Ubisoft also "apologized" for the state of Assassin's Creed: Unity, Electronic Arts "apologized" for the state of Sim City, companies have grown fond of "apologizing" for releasing incomplete games they ask us to pay for in full price. It's gotten bad enough that when you buy a new console it doesn't-work-out-of-the-box, from what I've read, but you have to "update" it. And then "update" each and every game you've got on it. And pass your time playing with a yo-yo, while the whole console-and-games-thingy you bought is updating and re-updating itself, while you hope somewhere inside the hole mess you'll find a "fully playable" game.

Let me put it another way: if you bought a TV, brought it home and, for some inexplicable reason, it could only display HALF the channels available, wouldn't you demand a refund for it? Why is it that we've grown too accustomed to games doing HALF the stuff they promised, and yet we're not shouting around asking, nay, DEMANDING refunds? Isn't that "the way it works" with any other kind of "goods"? Why should games be different?

If movies were the same, we'd go to a cinema, see about 75% of a movie, watch the 20% as a "DLC", a bunch of "trailers and end scenes" in the NEXT movie we saw from the same studio - with a "sorry, now it's done, you can watch it when you pay for our next movie", and wait for the last 5%, the very end, to come to our TVs. As an update patch.

Some say Marvel's already done that. With movies, I mean. :p

6. troutski

troutski Active Member

Well, if these companies were releasing quality games in the first place, then....No, wait. Too much logic.

7. Kamarsun1

Kamarsun1 Member

Wow, I can't see how they were even allowed to do that. I wonder what where they thinking. I know the makers didn't lack the funds to compete the game. I don't get this one.

8. ducklord

ducklord Member

@Kamarsun1 Market and competition. "Ah, so the OTHER console will have a racing game, but ours won't? Dear Developer Team A, whom we're paying lots of monies: please, release on December 1st, or there's the door, ta-ta's and it's been a nice ride with you". And so, half a game we get, while they're running their behinds off afterwards to patch things up as much as they can.

Ah, the joys of today's gaming...

And THEN you finish the game, whatever it is, and are met with a "And now... THE END... ... ... (...in our next DLC)".

Ah, the JOYS of today's gaming... :p

9. troutski

troutski Active Member

Does anyone have any bets on the next big flop of a game that's only a flop because of it's horrid launch issues?

10. ducklord

ducklord Member

@troutski Well, what's the next big-name game from either Ubi or EA?

That one :p

(At least, that's what history's taught us up to now: the more the studios around the world working on it, the bigger the project, the bigger the corporation that's invested its bucks in it and wants to get them back, the bigger the flop. FLOP! I even like the sound of it... FLOP!)

I DON'T want to think that No Man's Sky could get in that position, and be sucky from the very beginning, but I'm afraid of what we'll find out. It looks too perfect to be true. I know, "not a racing game" but, hey, you said flop (FLOP, man, I FLOP love the FLOP word FLOP!), in general. Not a racing flop (FLOP!) specifically.

FLOP!

11. mssfgaming

mssfgaming Member

Sony must be sweating right now and they must thanking God that they have Naughty Dog. Honestly, their exclusives weren't anything to brag about. Yes, Infamous: Second Son is a great game for sure and okay, Killzone was a good effort but right now, they are relying way too heavily on Uncharted 4 to boost the fans' hesitations about the company and the console itself. Driveclub was supposed to be the answer to Forza Horizon and it didn't even compare closely. I am a Sony fanboy at heart, my top three games of all time are all filled by Sony exclusives. But right now, this looks like a dire situation for the PS4 game library.

12. troutski

troutski Active Member

I'm pretty sure that there are no hesitations about the Playstation 4. It's the superior console to the Xbox One, as far as hardware is concerned and even general gamers' perceptions. They're not hurting for support.

13. mssfgaming

mssfgaming Member

It terms of the game library, the PS4 is sweating. The game library itself is not that impressive, the only notable one being Infamous: Second Son. I'm not saying that the Xbox One is any better it terms of hardware and the general perceptions that gamers have, but when it comes to games, the Xbox One does have an impressive game libary consisting of Sunset Overdrive, Halo: MCC, Halo 5, Dead Rising 3, Killer Instinct and Titanfall. The PS4 does have Infamous, Killzone, Knack and a whole lot of indie games. It does look a little dire right now.

troutski likes this.
  14. troutski

troutski Active Member

I still wouldn't call it dire, but when you put it that way, I can see your point. Dead Rising 3 wasn't that great, and Titanfall's charm wore off on Xbox One players pretty fast. Halo: MCC did have its game-breaking launch problems. But I can see Sony having an issue with exclusive in the short-term, but I don't think it will have too much of an impact, as long as the company releases some great exclusives in the coming months.

15. ducklord

ducklord Member

@mssfgaming Are you blind man? Haven't you seen for example the latest Game Awards were Xbox seemed to have almost disappeared among the titles shown for the PS4? Have you tried searching for upcoming titles on it, or are you just re-typing Microsoft's list here for us to see?

STREET FIGHTER V man! Exclusively on the PS4!

Is that "enough of an exclusive", apart from the ones you mention? No? Let's go...

The Order: 1886
    No Man's Sky
    Until Dawn
    Soma
    Deep Down
    Bloodborne
    Let it Die
    The Tomorrow Children
    Hellblade
    Rime

...yeah... That's obviously "a lack of exclusives" and "a pale library", right over there. While on Xbox One we'll get a new Halo and a new Gears of War. Again.

If you remove the titles that will ALSO be available on PC from the equation - and you DO have a PC, don't you? :p - which of the two consoles will give you more and better games? You saying that "Xbox One had the better titles up to now" doesn't hold since, as most people found the hard way, Xbox One's titles ALSO sucked up to now. You mention the Master Chief Collection as a must-have? Really? A collection of games from even 10 years past, greatly remastered but riddled with problems and bugs? As a NEW and a MUST-PLAY title?

P.S.: I have both an Xbox 360 and a PS3. The PS3 had the better games in the end. Same happened in the previous gen with the PS2. Same will happen again. I'm not a fanboy, it's just the way it is and you can thank Microsoft for that, and their more-restrictive-screening-of-games compared to Sony. You won't find as many original or "quirky" games on it, 'cause "they wouldn't be `safe` for Microsofts image", and you won't find many indie games as well, since Microsoft drove them away from both the previous gen (making them pay way more to publish on Xbox and jump through more hoops to do so compared to Sony and their PS3).

16. BluBird

BluBird Member

Game was a complete disaster. I'm sure it's probably better now after 2 month of the devs frantically trying to fix everything. Still, this has left a bad taste in gamers mouths. I wouldn't pay full price for this game after that mess. They still haven't released the PS+ version. Obviously the game wasn't ready, but Evolution did get a whole full year to get the game conplete and still failed miserably. Oh well. What's done is done. Time to move on to the next game.