Simulation vs Arcade racers

Discussion in 'Sim Racing' started by Ghost Rider, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider Member

Which types of racers do you prefer? Simulation type racers like Gran Turismo and Forza Motorsport or do you prefer arcade type racers like Ridge Racer and Burnout? Personally, I prefer simulation types because they're more realistic and there are a lot more things to do.

2. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I prefer arcade types like Burnout and NFS. I like the over-the-top aspect of them and the fact that there are many varied game types included so you can change it up between simple racing and many other varied mini-games and car customization options.

3. Rocketman

Rocketman Member

I've always liked arcade games. Unless you're really into cars or whatever the theme of the game is, I think most people would prefer arcade as well since arcade is actually made to be fun rather than realistic.

4. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Member

I prefer simulation most of the time but there are a few arcade racers that interest me. Gran Turismo is pretty much my favorite sim though and it takes alot for me to be impressed by another racing game.

5. Akiyama

Akiyama New Member

Definitely Arcade racers.

It's not that I don't like simulation type racers, it just seems like they're not as fast paced as the arcade games, and when I play a racing game. I have an urge for speed.

Akiyama

6. fireinyourwords

fireinyourwords Member

I definitely prefer Arcade racers. Simulation racers just don't appeal to me because I feel like I'm just going to be driving in circles or loops, but in an arcade racer, there's a little more unpredictability. I especially love the Burnout series.

7. Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider Member

When I was a lot younger, I wanted to play a lot of arcade racers like Sega rally. But as I grew older, I felt that arcade racers were a bit too shallow for my tastes. That's why I moved toward simulation games.

8. 4justice

4justice Member

Why not just like both?

Sure enough there's room for both which is why both of them sell well in most cases.

I like the simulation games when I'm in the mood for something more realistic of course. But when you want those extreme senses of speed, arcade racers are where to go.

9. turklife

turklife New Member

I like to play both, as I think they contrast well with each other. Each offers a new and fresh experience so it is nice to get to play both sides of the racing genre, especially if you are starting to get tired of playing one or the other. Because of that, I don't think I could pick on or the other, but I love the racing genre as a whole and I will continue to play and enjoy all aspects of it.

10. 4justice

4justice Member

I think the only thing that really separates these two are the learning curve. Arcade racers are normally the ones you can just pick up and play without any skill (most of the time).

The simulations might not be as fun at first because with those you have to know what you're doing to actually get somewhere.

11. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Member

Not always though. The original NFS: Underground has a pretty big learning curve after a certain point. It's all about track memorization and making sure you are at top speed as often as possible which is not exactly easy.

12. dinomarino1

dinomarino1 Member

definitely arcade racers i find them to be way more fun, burnout is a great example