Game is dead?

Discussion in 'Drive Club' started by Squigly, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Squigly

Squigly Active Member

With Evolution Studios shutting down, do you see any future in this game?

I'm kinda bummed about this since Drive Club was one of the few games out there with consistent updates and great gameplay. The servers have been wonky since Evolution Studios was let go by Sony a week ago.

2. Denis Hard

Denis Hard Member

The game isn't dead yet. Fact is Drive Club belongs to Sony but that doesn't mean Evolution Studios can't make a "spiritual successor." They are working on a new game at the present but Paul Rustchynsky [former Driveclub director] promised a better photo mode in the new game. We'll have to wait and see if it [the game] will be better than Sony's Drive Club.

3. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I think the game will live on but it is kind of surprising how the developers were let go this early. I'm not sure who many times this has happened for other games and what it means for potential future sequels.

4. Denis Hard

Denis Hard Member

Sony's reasons for closing Evolution Studios.
    I'd like to see which [exciting] projects these are next year or the year after.

5. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

Lol as much as I hate to admit it I don't think I understood that statement at all. Seems like to me that they were just skirting around whatever real reason there is behind the scenes although like I said I probably just misunderstood it. I'm also kind of interested in what comes next.

Denis Hard likes this.
  6. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

Without the Sony backing I imagine it would be really hard to have the same level of development that they had for the first game, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

7. spectre456

spectre456 Member

I don't think it's dead at all. It did a lot better after they fixed all the glaring issued it had, so that might give Sony a solid reason to go ahead and try their hand at a Driveclub 2.

8. qag

qag Member

Well they probably were skirting around the real reasons or at the very least downplaying it. It's a PR statement.

That said, with Evolution Studios closed I think Driveclub is dead right now, yes - but I think the franchise will live on. The franchise has potential and I think that Sony realizes that.

9. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm guessing they maybe weren't too happy with the results for the investment they put in. I think Sony has been making some sketchy decisions lately.

10. rz3300

rz3300 Member

Well no game is really dead as long as the players do not let it die. That is pretty difficult these days, though, with new games coming out left and right, and then on top of that new systems coming out what seems like every year. I know some people who will continue to play the game, though, and it has a bit of a cult following if I am not mistaken, so it may very well stay with us for some time.

11. Denis Hard

Denis Hard Member

Agreed. But it can get boring if you play the same game for far too long. I'm sure that some developers could be interested in making a "spiritual successor" but I doubt that quality would match what we got from Evolution Studios.

12. Norjak71

Norjak71 Member

I wouldn't go as far to say that is dead but the game had so much potential and never really went above and beyond. The content never really go to a point where they were releasing new material and the updates were nearly non-existent and it made the community just ditch for the most part. It was a great game too, I'm kind of disappointed. Hopefully they give it a shot with another version in the future, I'll buy into it.

13. Denis Hard

Denis Hard Member

Apparently the game is getting a huge upgrade before the VR-compatible version is released:

That's something Drive Club fans will like. Maybe there'll be more upgrades in future: more tracks, more cars . . . .

14. Casiox

Casiox Member

I read about it somewhere else and I really got excited about it. It definitely will be a great hit, many DriveClub players will love this, thank you for sharing the information though.

Denis Hard likes this.
  15. dionnextherese

dionnextherese Member

Is this true? This is my first time hearing this.

16. Hova

Hova Member

To be honest I didn't like Drive Club from day one. It felt so basic. I mean, I did enjoy the Japanese tracks but other than that, the game was alright.

17. maestro

maestro Member

I would actually recommend this game to those players who are not into those complicated racing games (F1 series).

18. ruse

ruse Member

Actually I have never played Drive Club before. But if you say it is not as complicated as the F1 series then I will definitely check it out.

19. aveli

aveli Member

Well, I don't know if DriveClub is dead yet but it is definitely dead to me. It is the worst sim I have ever played.

20. walter12

walter12 Active Member

That's a fair review, it wasnt good at all