do you give to charity?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by billydd, Oct 14, 2013.

1. billydd

billydd Member

I try not to give to charity because a lot of the money goes into administration and not to the actual cause, l'd rather give to buskers in the street to be honest what about you?

2. rossonomous

rossonomous Member

I don't believe that much of your money actually goes to where you want it + I don't have enough money to support myself properly so nope I don't

3. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I give some clothes and food to the shelters during Christmas but that's about it. I need some financial help myself so I can't afford to give to charity at the moment but I sure would like to.

4. Kamarsun1

Kamarsun1 Member

Not as much as I should. I want to start helping the homeless with meals. There is something here in FL called "food not bombs," where they provide vegan and vegetarian food for the homeless.

5. cyberpinoy

cyberpinoy Member

My wife and I used to give to a lot of charitable causes, we would even give directly to people who needed it the most. We would buy 3 or more of the bags of holiday groceries that were to be given to the people who needed it every-time we went to the grocery store during holidays. Whe we lived in the states we gave people a job working for one of our businesses even if sometimes we didnt have the position available but knew they really needed a ob. If we saw an employee that was not eating right or not eating at all we would have special company pickniks and make it mandatory all emp0loyees came and brought their families. we would make it a whole day event so that we knew they and trheir family got 3 meals that day plus all the food available to eat all day long.

And then... We had a fire that was started by en employee here in the Philippines. This fire destroyed our home and 3 business and took everything we worked 8 years to build from nothing. We put an add up on Go Fund me, I have over 800 facebook friends over 300 linked in business associates and over 150 twitter followers and the only people that helped my wife and I in our time of deepest need was my aunts and uncles and a few of our cousins and a couple friends and one person we can not find who gave on gofundme.

The result, we give nothing to anyone. I had over 700 facebook friends tell me how sorry they were, how they were setting up charity boxes , and how they would be sending us the donations, not 1 box was set up, not one donation came from them, what they gave us was false hope and empty promises to boost thier popularity appearance on facebook. All the businesses I gave so much to while we had businesses in america from free labor to free designs and products to helptheir business progress didnt give us 1 red cent.

What we found out is no matter what you do, no matter how good you are and how much you give you will not get it in return when something devistating happens and you ned the help.

So now we give nothing to anyone. We gave up on people in general and lost faith in God. We are still rebuilding hat we had tiny little pieces at a time struggling day to day to feed our children but .. we are making it on our own with no ones help. The friends we thought we had were false. the strong relations with the banks we did business with for years proved to be useless as not even they would give us a loan to rebuild, the business associatiopns we thought were strong were just fake acquantenances.

So now ask me how I feel about charity And I will tell you this, Get off your butt and find a way nothing in life is free. I did it twice so I am sure you can do it once.

6. gats

gats Member

I don't give to charity since I'm pretty dirt poor myself. Besides, I think the government gives a lot of money away to charitable purposes anyway.

7. niiro17

niiro17 Member

Nope. We don't give money to the charity but we give clothes. We don't even have enough money to support ourselves.

8. wulfman

wulfman Member

I prefer to give food or clothing as opposed to money.

9. wulfman

wulfman Member

There are a lot of beggars in my country but my relatives told me not to give them money as they are more often times than not in collusion with some sort of gang that uses them to profit off their misery. But more often than not I give food which they eat. This gives me consolation and I know that I have helped them and in no way are gangs profiting off of it.

10. wulfman

wulfman Member

I have recently read about the Red Cross mishandling charity donations. This is pretty disturbing as most people view this organization as a legitimate source to donate money to. So it is hard to trust anybody these days to get the money to where it needs to go.

11. tpicks

tpicks Member

Agreed a lot of money meant for charity go into administration but I don't let that deter me. I give to charity, the needy, victims of disasters and so on. I give with faith my money will be well used to help the intended persons.