Would you want to see Mario Kart as a multiplatform game

Discussion in 'Mario Kart' started by Sterling Walker, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Sterling Walker

Sterling Walker Member

Many people enjoy mario kart games but the only place to play them are on Nintendo consoles. The old ones you can use an emulator to play them but people want to play the new mario kart games without having to pay for a new console to play it. Granted, mario kart is one of nintendo's best selling games and making it multiplatform would make their console sales decrease.

2. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Member

Who wouldn't want to have Mario Kart on something other than a Wii U? I would like to have a copy for my PS3. But come on now? We know that's not going to happen. That's Nintendos only saving grace, is it's proprietary characters. If they lost Mario and company, then they wouldn't have a chance in hell in any vide game market share. Right now their shares are low as it is.

3. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

Yeah I think it would be nice to be able to play this game without having to buy a. Nintendo console. I honestly see all consoles as being the same so I really wouldn't mind playing this somewhere else.

4. teabwoi

teabwoi Member

I think that it would be really sweet to be able to pay Mario Kart in something other than the WII U. I think that it would be really cool to be able to play that game on something like the Xbox one or the PS4.

5. shreklock

shreklock Member

If they wouldn't want do decrease their sales, they could include some extra features only for the Nintendo. It would keep most of the player from moving platforms, and the extra sales would be better for everyone.

6. moaz13

moaz13 Member

You can already basically play all the previous games on PC with emulation, and at 1080p 60FPS they all look great.

7. GenevB

GenevB Member

Seeing it as a multiplatform game would be totally great, but I don't think this will happen at least not in the early future. It's kinda sad that such a great game is not on PS3 or XBOX.

8. Squigly

Squigly Active Member

As much as I would like this I doubt Nintendo would ever make it happen. Console exclusives are all part of trying to get market share for people to buy your console. For Nintendo, Mario Kart/Party are some of their strongest flagship titles, I doubt that would ever give that up to other consoles or they would lose out really quickly. Let's face it, the Wii U is inferior in terms of specs/graphics quality to the PS4 and Xbone.

9. BatDash

BatDash New Member

This is definitely something I'd like to see, but it's something that I don't ever actually expect to see. Nintendo giving its competitors access to the mario franchise would be equal to waving the white flag in surrender, because that would all but bankrupt Nintendo. Its exclusives is pretty much all Nintendo has going for it now. If people own more than just the one console, and the game is released on both of them, it's likely that they're going to go ahead and purchase the game for Xbox or Playstation, because they are the better consoles.

10. troutski

troutski Active Member

Mario Kart wouldn't translate to the other consoles well. The N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, and DS/3DS have always been the family-friendly consoles. MK fits that image perfectly, and the game wouldn't feel the same on Playstation or Xbox. It would be the stupidest move that Nintendo could make, offering their biggest franchise to another console or developer. It's not even a good idea from a gamer's standpoint.

11. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

Yeah I was able to try this out and I was surprised to see how smoothly it performed. I'm unsure whether or not the newer consoles can already be emulated though but I'm sure given enough time it will be possible eventually.

12. JessiFox

JessiFox Member

Of course it would be great to see it as a multiplatform game, but I think we can all agree that's not going to happen- it doesn't make sense for them to make that move, and obviously if people are interested enough (and many, many people are) they'll put up with that limitation.

13. moaz13

moaz13 Member

Well there's slow but steady progress on a PS3 emulator (RPCS3) but it's going to take years, so it's not worth the wait in my opinion. But it is great to revisit classics; 4-player Mario Kart is great, and SNES is good at 1080p

14. Yosostupid

Yosostupid Member

I think it would be good for both the community and Nintendo. Nintendo could reach more people, and get more people to like their games and get into it. It could also help the community, since not everyone you want to play with has the same console. If it's a multiplatform game, Nintendo can use it as an advertising feature for their other games. At the same time, I don't see it happening. Nintendo thrives because it sells exclusive games on it's consoles, and if they port one game to another rival company's console, they'll be subtracting money from their own.

15. BluBird

BluBird Member

The absolute worst thing for Nintendo to do right now would be relinquishing their strongest attribute for their consoles, their first-party titles.

If any, MK8 did its job. It made those who don't own a Wii U wish they had one, and a few more games like that will shift more consoles.

16. GlacialDoom

GlacialDoom Member

No, Nintendo is pretty much relying on their fantastic, quality exclusives, and it would be the worst move they could ever make to release their games on competing platforms. OP, if you want to play Mario Kart on another platform and you own a mid-high PC, try emulating the Wii in Dolphin. It's the best emulator I've ever used or heard about, and if you have an android phone or a jailbroken iPhone, you could download apps that work as Wiimotes (but only the tilting works on them, so they're only usable with Mario Kart, still, it really gives you a nice experience).

17. jurew2

jurew2 Member

It would be really cool to see the Mario Kart as a multiplatform game, but I don't think that they will ever do that, because the sales of their consoles would decrease a lot. There are people that buy the console just to play the Mario Kart, so there's more profit by keeping the game only on one console and not making it a mutliplatform game.

18. iuseluigi

iuseluigi New Member

Nintendo will never let this happen as long as they sell hardware. I know people are down on the WiiU because it's in third place but the 3DS is doing very well. Mario Kart 7 was good on the 3DS as well. I'm fine with Mario and other first party games being only on Nintendo hardware because Nintendo tries different things. I don't think we would have kinect for Xbox or Playstartion Play if it wasn't for the Wii with motion control hardware. What I'm saying is I like that Nintendo makes their own hardware because it forces the entire industry to innovate.

19. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm not surprised since I think even PS2 is still having a bit of trouble until just recently and even until today I've heard it just takes up way too much processing power.

20. moaz13

moaz13 Member

Yeah, I have an AMD CPU and it's almost impossible to play Shadow of the Colossus, but on my new Intel PC it works fine. Few emulators are perfect, but Dolphin is almost perfect, and MK Wii is stunning on that, along with Mario Galaxy.