Would you miss traditional racing games?

Discussion in 'Sim Racing' started by TheViper, Nov 7, 2015.

1. sillylucy

sillylucy Member

I miss traditional racing games because there is a little history there. I remember the first time I beat my sister and how much fun we spent racing for hours. That nostalgia is definitely still there when it comes to older racing games.

2. spence88

spence88 Member

They started it all. I won't miss them, because I'll keep playing them lol. The formula is so simple - drive as fast as you can without bumping the walls or falling off and get first place, it works. I agree with sillylucy, there will be nostalgia...

3. GenevB

GenevB Member

I am all for progress, especially when it comes about video games, if that's what progress means, then I wouldn't miss too much traditional racing games. I'll always enjoy playing a good old fashioned game, like a NFS, but when it comes about news, I'll always go play the newest, to keep up with the trend.

4. erook7878

erook7878 Active Member

I like racing games in general. I like traditional racing games where it's purely racing, but I also like racing games with missions and a story line. I think both have their place in the racing genre.

5. erook7878

erook7878 Active Member

The arcade style games are certainly more popular. They are just easier to play and sometimes more fun. Some gamers just need different activities to accomplish in the game.

6. erook7878

erook7878 Active Member

They'll always be there. They are just so simple to play. There are no bells and whistles to traditional racing games.

7. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

Definitely. For me I find just racing to be first very boring as once you get in front there is not much to do other than maintain the lead but at least with arcade type racers you get a lot more tasks to do such as obtaining power ups or dealing with traffic.

8. Denis Hard

Denis Hard Member

Arcade style games are the best but they are not for everyone. There are some gamers who'll play only traditional racing games and there others like me who'll only play them once in a while. Though in future we'll be seeing more Sim and Arcade racers being made, traditional racing games will still be made or existing games will have sequels made.

9. hafiz93

hafiz93 Member

I do miss them but games are meant to evolve and progress. The classic games will always be there if you want to play them. Even though it's good for racing games to progress, I really hope they don't get too heavy on the story since games nowadays tend to focus more on the story rather than the gameplay.

10. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I also think there shouldn't really be a reason for people to miss them, simply because there's no need for software houses to stop making them in the first place.

Just because one style of game becomes popular, doesn't mean that they have to stop making the rest, there's no reason they can't do both if sales are continuing to be high enough.

11. erook7878

erook7878 Active Member

With VR coming, I think true racing simulators will make a big splash. Arcade style racing games are just made for controllers, while true driving physics games are made for VR wheel setups.

12. erook7878

erook7878 Active Member

I enjoy traditional racing games, but i definitely understand those that aren't really into it. I put in a lot of hours into the GT series without getting bored. As long as there is some type of goal or story line to achieve, I usually don't get bored.

Wubwub likes this.
  13. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I think people band around the term boredom a lot though when it comes to racing games, but for me that just means people simply aren't into the genre.

You can't make people become racers if they're simply not into racing, and I've heard in the past people who play RPG's how they bought Gran Turismo but it was boring just racing round a track.

It's a racing game, if you're not into racing then don't buy them, what do people expect?

14. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I never understood the charm of it but I have always assumed it was more for the actual car enthusiasts who get the joy of looking at their favorite cars in video games. As for myself, since I'm not particularly interested in the cars I mostly just care about the gameplay so I prefer having more to the mechanics rather than just racing itself.

15. erook7878

erook7878 Active Member

For me, I found the realistic driving physics appealing. I was so used to playing arcade type racing games with the same driving physics and it was refreshing to actually have to drive realistically in GT. I liked the challenge of playing GT where you can 't just make turns going 100 mpg without braking.

16. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

There is some charm to that type of realism because it's a lot more intricate and complex in a different more realistic way. For me though I'm almost completely disinterested with realism in games so I always favor arcade type mechanics and physics.

17. raceman998

raceman998 Member

I would miss the older games like Roadrash. It would be really amazing to play the newer version fo the same old games. The developers should release the newer versions of the older games like Roadrash.

18. Norjak71

Norjak71 Member

No I wouldn't miss it all. There is such a thing as "too realistic" and most games nowadays really try to be a little to realistic and takes away the fun factor. I'm not saying do away with it completely but still try to make it more fun. The funnest part of races are games like burnout or GTA V races are the fact that it can be more about just having fun. Yes it's super competitive if you want it to be but they have different features like loading weapons onto your cars. The graphics are already realistic enough, you need to have, at least in my opinion, some amount of absurdity attached to it.

19. erook7878

erook7878 Active Member

I totally understand if you aren't into realistic video games. I don't see anything wrong with that. That is sort of the whole point of video games and movies, etc. It's to let you experience something that you can't in real life.

20. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

Thanks, and yeah I guess that is mostly the reason behind although admittedly I never really gave it that much thought so I never actively thought that to myself until recently when games started becoming a lot more realistic and I found myself growing less and less interested. Though to be fair some of them are still very enjoyable and I can also understand why people like it and are impressed by it.