Would you miss traditional racing games?

Discussion in 'Sim Racing' started by TheViper, Nov 7, 2015.

1. TheViper

TheViper Member

There is a big part of me that wouldn't mind if the genre moved completely away from the "NASCAR" way of racing games. I have to say that my favorite racing games came from the Burnout series. Those games were the main ones that I found myself playing for several hours at a time. I honestly can't see myself playing a traditional racing game for several hours without becoming bored in some level.

2. Susime

Susime Active Member

I have to say I would totally miss them and I can't really see the sim style of racer genre dying in any time soon because there is just too much call for it, as there is of arcade type games.

I think both have their own place cemented in gaming and I think both will suffer low times as well as good times but I can't see either genre moving away from what it is.

3. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

Same here. I think the fans of traditional racers are more fans of the real world racing scene and the cars in them while arcade racing fans probably value the video game element of it a little more. Unfortunately I think the bigger and more successful racing titles right now are the more realistic type so I don't know what this means for arcade racing games.

4. Susime

Susime Active Member

They will both be around I'm sure and most of the modern sims alloy for people to play in a more arcadey style if they so wish.

Plus the Forza series has Horizon now which takes places on open roads and through towns, so there's that out there.

5. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I did not know that. I guess I'm just looking for more games with a lot more extras like the takedowns and crash mode in burnout but I guess by now even those have gotten a little overplayed so it will probably take another massive innovation to wow people.

6. Susime

Susime Active Member

I can see a burnout on a current gen console being a big hit. Think of the capabilities of the consoles now and how good they can make it.

I can seriously see something like going full speed into a crowded intersection much like you would see during the morning rush hour. Think of the carnage!

7. Denis Hard

Denis Hard Member

I'll never miss traditional racing games. Though I know there are some gamers who will enjoy playing such games, I don't. It's too mind-numbingly repetitive. Would I miss such games? No.

8. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I'd actually love to see that old burnout style make its way onto new consoles. I think the most recent version was good but I would like something more similar to the older games.

9. Susime

Susime Active Member

Old game modes but made with current gen console tech would be an amazing direction to go in.

There is just so much power within the console now that I'm really having a hard time trying to imagine what a crash mode would look like on current consoles.

10. Squigly

Squigly Active Member

I think these two games fall into two separate sub-genres, the arcade racer and the racing simulator. It's not uncommon for someone to only enjoy a particular subgenre, but I think both have large enough of an audience to enjoy continued game development.

11. Denis Hard

Denis Hard Member

There's no doubt about that. Had it been that most gamers who love racing games didn't like these games, no one would making them any more but because they are fans they'll still be making them. Even those who don't like them much I suppose can for a change, play a "traditional racing game."

12. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

I wouldn't mind it either, I much rather prefer games like Forza Motorsport or Burnout where the game is aimed at people with not a lot of real racing experience. Anyone could virtually play these games as long as they have eyes and fingers.

13. rajesh1209

rajesh1209 Member

My view on this topic is different than others. In my opinion, w should play traditional racing games and I always play them. I don't have to 'miss' them because I have a collection of all the traditional racing games. Along with the modern racing games, I always look for some traditional games. By the way, the Burnout series was fantastic.

14. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I agree I think this type of game appeals to the masses a lot more since car fanatic aimed games are probably a lot more niche. The average racing game fan like me most likely enjoys the mechanics a lot more than the realism in tracks or cars so any addition to make the game more exciting even if it's not realistic is welcome to me.

15. ZXD123

ZXD123 Member

Yes I miss the old traditional racing games. I remember playing an old copy of the Sierra Arts NASCAR game for the PC. I think it was like NASCAR 1998 or something. It was fun, no nitrous or anything stupid like that, and realistic for the time.

16. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

Wow I've never even noticed that all racing games now have nitrous. You're right there is something quaint about just pure racing without all the other bells and whistles that modern games now have.

17. spectre456

spectre456 Member

I would definitely miss them. As much as I enjoy wacky games like Mario Kart I tend to gravitate towards simulators after a while. I don't see any reason for simulators to disappear, it's not like they're competing against the crazy side of racing.

18. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

For me, simular racing games are what we need more of not less of. While I'm sure we all enjoy games like burnout and need for speed, games like Gran Turismo are still important to the genre as far as I'm concerned, and track based racing is still popular in the real world, so there's no reason to stop making the games any time soon I hope.

19. Squigly

Squigly Active Member

I think it's possible for the two to co-exist. Sure simulator games might grow more popular with VR, but people will always want to enjoy purely fun racing games like Mario Kart and Burnout.

20. Locoton22

Locoton22 Member

I would definitely not, I think that new games are way better because they come along with new features and way more interesting stuff, however old games are good as well, I really enjoy playing old games when I get bored ofthe new ones.