Gran Turismo 6 Would you like a story mode in the next Gran Turismo?

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo 7' started by Ghost Rider, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Qarnage

Qarnage Member

While I do agree that the game needs more features, not everybody has such a vivid imagination and would rather have a story mode just because they think it's one of the features that the game lacks. Personally I'd say a story mode is a great addition that honestly doesn't even need that much time to develop. What types of features would you implement in the game though? I don't see lots of room for new stuff but that might just be my lack of imagination.

2. shreklock

shreklock Member

It would definitely be a good addition, although this game is about racing and cars, and that's what developers should focus at. I'd rather have more maps or cars, than to have a ruined game with a poor story. However, if they have time to do the storyline and everything, and it wouldn't impact the main game, I'm all for it.

3. GenevB

GenevB Member

Yeah, I think that a story mode would make the game more realistic and make you feel "into it" more, but not a story mode that's linear, I'd rather play it this way than some linear story mode which doesn't let me choose the things I shall do. Maybe a story mode like in NFS Carbon where you had crews and fight for territory would make the game more interactive and fun to play.

4. jurew2

jurew2 Member

I played some GT and I enjoyed racing in it. I agree with the OP that the game could use a story mode, it would really be great. It would bring something new to the game, because the game needs something new.

5. TheViper

TheViper Member

I think GT could really benefit from a story mode. It would offer something new to the game than race and cars. Most of my friends that play GT only play for a few hours and that is it. They consider it a one hit game to play.

6. sillylucy

sillylucy Member

I really don't like story mode because you have to sit through it and just watch it without doing anything. I get so bored during that. *Yawn* I'd rather spend my time driving!

7. Qarnage

Qarnage Member

There's always a skip option for people that don't want to see the story though. I don't think it would hurt that much to simply press skip. The pros outweigh the cons by far on this one I think

8. Squigly

Squigly Active Member

Not always lol. I remember quite a few NFS titles where I was forced to sit through the story cutscenes, there was no skip function unfortunately.

9. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

You're right. Now that I think about it, I think I've played this story a lot of times before. Still, it's just a minor addition to the mechanics anyway. I'm more interested in the actual races than the story but you make a good point they really should try and come up with something more unique.

10. SonicSlayer

SonicSlayer Member

Nah, I don't think so. Gran Turismo is it's own kind of niche reading game that doesn't even try to have a story which is perfectly fine. Adding a story might affect its pure and accurate racing simulator experience. However, I do fully agree that they should add some more modes/options, it does get boring at on point.

11. diecarmona

diecarmona New Member

I think most of you guys are overreacting. GT6 isn't THAT boring. I mean, there's plenty of stuff to do, even without a Story Mode. Could the game be enhanced by the feature? Sure, but you can't possibly have everything in a game. Every single videogame that has ever come out could have been enhanced by a single feature. By picking out the flaws in the game you are blinding yourself to the amazing game the developers have made for you.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, you should enjoy the game as is.

12. Smookie

Smookie New Member

Yes! Having a story mode in the next Gran Turismo will spark refresh interest in the game. It would grasp players attention for a little longer.

13. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Member

Actually, having a story mode to mix things up would be cool. It's getting repetitive. We need to draw in new players that are expecting a new experience. Everyone knows what to expect from Gran Turismo. We need to attract different players to the series.

14. Jacob

Jacob New Member

I totally agree with this. You can't just keep making the same thing over and over again, you need more features and innovation. Given that opinion, I would still like to see a story mode to further encourage racing fans to go for GT.

15. jcc

jcc New Member

A story mode would be great- I agree with @troutski, the game needs something new, otherwise it will fall into simply updating one or two things a year and calling it a new edition.

16. cyberpinoy

cyberpinoy Member

I am actually not a fan of story mode in any games i play. I often skip past the story to get to the game play. I very much like the differences there are between NFS and GT.

17. ducklord

ducklord Member

Nope, 'cause there aren't many stories you can tell regarding cars, drivers and the combination, that aren't a bit dumb. Even the Fast and the Furious movies are jolly good fun but, if you think about their scenarios, dumb as bricks. Just like the NFS movie. Just like ANY kind of driving movie. The only exception being "Drive", which was more of an atmospheric Film Noir, but boring as far as "action" goes - it wouldn't translate well to a game.

So, what's a story that could "be told" in an NFS or other racing game that could actually be good? There are only so many things you can tell without having to get OUT of the car - like the GTA series.

And there's also the problem that when you finish the Story mode, you feel that you've actually "finished the game". I have friends that have been playing GT daily for years and years, until the next version comes to replace it - and then they upgrade and keep playing. 'cause it's a "driving simulation", not a retelling of Romeo and Juliet. If it had a story mode, if it wasn't a "blank canvas" for your own "adventures on wheels", if instead of letting YOU drive it put you in the shoes of a fictitious character, it wouldn't have the impact it had and still has.

But that's just my point of view I guess.

As for what it could do to refresh its recipe a bit? Add more "arcade" modes, with all hardcore features set on Auto (gears, getting into corners), actually offering a speedy equivalent to, say, Burnout 2. With less crashing and more racing. 'cause at Polyphony Digital "they don't like the crashing". Although if they decided to ALSO add crash-'n'-burning like the Burnout series, I'd be all in for it. It would be more fun than driving moon landers in the long run.

18. Kamarsun1

Kamarsun1 Member

That would be cool. Most racing games don't put a lot of effort into a story mode. I guess GTA is the king of story mode and racing as a combo pack. What ever GT does I know it will be worth playing.

19. mkCampbell

mkCampbell Member

I think a story mode is a great idea as well as some new features. It's a great game with great graphics but I think it's hit a bit of a brick wall. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy it, but would like a new fresh take down the road.

20. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Member

I have to disagree on this one. This game is meant to be about the cars and ONLY about the cars. The moment you put a story mode in it, it starts down the path to being like Need for Speed. And Need for Speed's story mode stunk out loud.

This is meant to be a simulator, not some adventure game.