Need for Speed Rivals Will open world work good?

Discussion in 'Need for Speed Unbound' started by Mason, Oct 12, 2013.

1. edthebig

edthebig Member

I hope. It is one of those things that make Need For Speed stand out from the rest, so if it has an Open World that works as good as Underground II for multiplayer I will be a happy man.

2. Jasonreid

Jasonreid Member

I agree with you on this. It's a good idea for newbies but for serious gamers there is not much of a challenge. In the case of need for speed it would allow you to explore all the shortcuts and hone your skills which is a big plus for evading cops.

3. RamZor

RamZor Member

I always enjoy open worlds. It makes me feel like I have more options to play with.

4. vennybunny

vennybunny Member

I think I'm the only one who won't like open-world for a racing game. :))

Thing is, when I play racing games, I don't even look at the surroundings that much anymore. I get serious tunnel vision, and I don't think I'd appreciate the surroundings than, say, if I was playing an RPG or a Spiderman game.

5. Alabamagrl187

Alabamagrl187 New Member

I've not had the chance to play it yet but I hope it's as great as the other ones, of course I enjoy watching my husband play more than I enjoy actually trying to play my self.

6. teabwoi

teabwoi Member

Open world is really cool right now and I think that they could do it but I really think that they should make you be able to do a lot more things in the open world. Maybe you should even be able to get out of your car and stuff like that kind of like a GTA you know.

7. Qarnage

Qarnage Member

Even though I think open-world games are great, I never really made any use of it in the past NFS titles. there really seems to be no point in having an open world at all since you can simply select races from the menu anyway. I remember specifically in the first most-wanted game you could drive until the police started following you but you could also just select it in a menu, which saved lots of time. There's really no reason to go inside the open world except for the fact you can see everything you want.

8. Squigly

Squigly Active Member

You said it very well Qarnage. If the only feature of open world is to drive around, it is really quite pointless. There has to be more playability options, like in GTA, for an open world driving concept to truly flourish.

9. Yosostupid

Yosostupid Member

Open World would be a lot of fun, and I imagine it as being like Burnout. A possible feature could be custom streetraces, with custom starting lines, paths, and finishing lines that you could play against friends or publish to a online database like the Steam Workshop. There would also be a lot of great competitive possibilities, for example cops chasing down multiple criminals in an open world.

10. JessiFox

JessiFox Member

I don't know about this one, I love open world a lot of the time and it's a fun concept but how much will they really offer to make it worthwhile? It could be good and I guess I shouldn't count it out but I do feel a little skeptical on this one.

11. Qarnage

Qarnage Member

This honestly doesn't sound like anything that hasn't been done before though. Having cops chase multiple criminals would just make it easier to escape and can easily be abused by other players to frustrate each other. Like I said before, I don't think open world adds any value to the NFS games aside from the parts where you run from the police.

12. RadialPerson

RadialPerson Member

I think a lot of fans of the Need for Speed games would be pretty disappointed if they were to move away from the open world concept. It's a big seller in most games, especially racing so it's here to stay. If they remove the open world aspect Need for Speed basically becomes like GRID or Gran Turismo and frankly the controls in NFS are nowhere near as good as those games. I find that open world also adds a lot of re-playability to the game as there's a lot of fun to be had just racing around open world highways, whereas track based games get boring fairly quickly once the main story is completed.

13. MissBin

MissBin Member

I think that it would work very well. Just look at Grand Theft Auto games how good it worket out there. So i see no reason why it wouldn't work well with Need for Speed games aswell.

14. SonicSlayer

SonicSlayer Member

It would work really well if they pulled it off right in my opinion. They should make the map really varied and beautiful and they should have a variety of game modes to stop it from getting repetitive. It would be awesome if they could also integrate multiplayer into it, but that would be unite difficult.

15. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

Good point. Open world would be great for evading cops and it actually would be the defining factor that sets this game apart from the rest of new racing games that offer an open world experience.

16. Diego Carmona

Diego Carmona New Member

I think Need For Speed is allowed to do their own thing. There are already other racing games that feature open world. What good is it going to bring to the franchise if they copy what other game do?

The testament to this is the final quality of Need For Speed Rivals compared to their previous games (most of which were classic). I do think they had done the whole open world thing in a previous game, but can't remember which. Anyone got any ideas?

17. sillylucy

sillylucy Member

I love open world, but sometimes I like a simple game that doesn't take up so much space. Open world just eats away at my hard drive! I'm a gamer on a budget. I'll stick to my free flash games if it means I can save a few bucks! As long as I am entertained then I am happy.

18. wowtgp

wowtgp Member

I love open-world agmes like Skyrim and Fallout series, but I am not sue sure about the acing genre though. Let's see how The Crew is going to fare.

19. Rob

Rob New Member

Open world is always good and exciting. It just adds something extra and doesn't really confine you which is ideal. I like open world games.

20. dinomarino1

dinomarino1 Member

i have always loved open world racing games, i cannot stand linear bordered gameplay in most racing games. besides its not as much fun if you cant go flying down the highway for as long as you want!