Why was GTA IV so poorly optimized when it came out for PC?

Discussion in 'GTA IV' started by HornedDemoN, Jun 3, 2015.

1. moneyman

moneyman New Member

I noticed this myself when I first tried GTA IV. My PC is quite high end and designed for gaming and I had to reduce graphic settings for the game to run properly. There is so much graphical detailing in GTA IV that it just consuming more system resources than older GTA games.

2. erook7878

erook7878 Active Member

I'm guessing it just a highly intensive graphics game, where if you don't have a fully specced out computer, it just won't run as good. It is a really immersive world and a huge game file. I guess it would have been nice for it to be optimized to run on the average computer.

3. AlexZ

AlexZ New Member

Pеоplе tаlk оf GTа4 bеing сpu bоund, but it's nоt thаt сpu bоund. Mаybе sоmеthing
    lеss thаn 2.4GHz, rаngе mаy bе а prоblеm, but I first rаn GTа4 оn аn оptеrоn 180 @2.4 GHz
    with аn 8800 GT аnd my mаin issuе (just frоm mеmоry) wаs with thе 512MB VRаM nоt аllоwing а
    high drаw distаnсе.
    My Phеnоm II 965 @3.4GHz isn't bоthеrеd аt аll.
    -

4. AlexZ

AlexZ New Member

Thе gаmе is pооrly оptimisеd fоr PС аnd distаnt shimmеring is а prоblеm in thе gаmе, but
    FXаа is vеry hеlpful with GTа4.
    I dоn't knоw if GTа4 is frаmе limitеd, but if it lооks smооth thеn fps dоеsn't mаttеr.
    Runs smооth оn my GTX560ti. Thе gаmе shоuld run wеll оn yоur mасhinе tоо.

Mаybе using just оnе оf thоsе 680's instеаd оf SLI wоuld hеlp ?

5. Itsame

Itsame New Member

It always comes down to money. Somewhere in Rockstar, someone with authority made the decision that it wasn't worth the investment to make sure the PC port of the game was well optimized for the medium. It's easy to point a finger and shame the decision, but the reality is that many studios are working with razor thin profit margins. The cost to produce modern games is through the roof so they have to go where the money is. I would assume Rockstar decided the real money for this title was in consoles so they are what got the attention. All indications are that the younger generation is eschewing consoles in favor of PCs so we may soon see a shift in that mentality.

6. Shine_Spirit

Shine_Spirit Active Member

I think in this case, it's a financial issue.

The yield on sales of the games to the PC not so profitable and for the investors doesn't make sense to invest where they will not profit. So, the development of the games is not so improved.

7. holmes22

holmes22 New Member

Well @BigSmoke is right, and it is a theme that you just continue to see day in and day out. It all comes down to that bottom line, most often times at least.

8. sidney

sidney Member

I think it's because the developers didn't really test the game thoroughly first, that's why they are getting some errors. Also, the hardware of the PC, especially the video card, might simply not be compatible with the game.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2017
  9. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I'm not sure that I agree that Rockstar didn't test the game properly. Rockstar are one of the most successful game developers around, so they would have done what they thought was necessary before the game launched.

Like I said though, this game was first launched on the PS3 so really we should be grateful that they even decided to release the game on the newer systems.

10. jakub1

jakub1 Member

I really have no idea on why the game was so poorly optimized but it could due to financial reasons.

11. overcast

overcast Member

I think graphics for PC takes years to properly work out. I have seen many games having their own share of the issues. For example Unreal engine being good won't solve the issue for many games. But it depends on how people choose it. You can't expect games to perform better all on PC configs.

12. jakub1

jakub1 Member

I agree, graphics for PC are pretty hard and require a lot of time and financial support

13. Haroon

Haroon New Member

I think so that there is a big difference between console and PC.That version was actually made for console not for PC.It had best features to be played on console.I think so that because of this it couldn't run well on PC.We should not blame the developers of this game for this mistake.

14. jakub1

jakub1 Member

I agree, they focused the game on console at first, and was pretty hard to optimize it for PC

15. razer

razer Member

I believe it's partly due to the game requiring a quad-core cpu when dual core ones were popular, and the physics engine was very demanding ( but also VERY impressive. I remember once damaging a car in a such a way that I couldn't get it moving anymore because one of the wheels was stuck and couldn't move )

Anyway, Rockstar doesn't care that much about PC ports since they typically sell and earn a lot more on consoles. Still, they got so much flak for the GTAIV port that they did a much better job for GTAV.

16. holmes22

holmes22 New Member

I guess I kind of understand where the main sales are the consoles so that leaves an PC users a bit behind. That is a bit unfortunate though as I still prefer the PC sometimes.

17. overcast

overcast Member

Another thing is that developers are optimizing. But they don't know the specs of average gamer. So they optimize with top specs. And that makes things a bit different.

18. Davidmillernost

Davidmillernost New Member

The video accelerator of PC is different than console so it is not possible to convert a game in the first attempt. It would take some time with the help of few patches.

19. saniamirzatennis

saniamirzatennis New Member

When this game will be fully updated on PC then it will perfect for playing. The GTA is good for all kind of platforms. If this game can be played fit on android on android then why not PC. It just matters of time.

20. demitri

demitri Member

There is no doubt that we have to wait or request for an update If we face any problem while playing GTA on PC. Stay hopeful. Also, check if your system needs an upgrade.