What elements would your perfect racing game have?

Discussion in 'Sim Racing' started by thepieeatingjay, Nov 6, 2014.

1. erook7878

erook7878 Active Member

Have you played Gran Turismo? There so many parts you can customize from the wheels to the exhaust and intakes. I remember as a kid, I had no idea what half the stuff was. I would just upgrade to the most expensive part.

2. Norjak71

Norjak71 Member

Customizing is key for a race game. You can only race so many times before you get bored if there is nothing else to add-on; however, I think you need to have thousands of more things you can add on. It's kind of like ranking up, and if you stop at a certain point sooner than later everyone is going to have the exact same advantage because they are so routinely easy to acquire after a bit of time. If you add a ton of customization options the replay value would grow because there are more things to look forward too other than just 'paint jobs'.

Another thing I would like to see more of is the ability to take a hit in a race, especially races within a game like GTA V, I don't think you should get punished by being first most of the race because someone barely clips your tail and you spin out and end up in last. There has to be some sort of defense against that.

3. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

It's about trying to balance that realism with a game aswell for me though. In real life life, if you're driving round a track and you get clipped, then you will spin out. But do you really want that to happen in a game and ruin your fun?

They could do with letting the player customise just how realistic they want the game to be.

4. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

Agreed. If it was too realistic then it would probably take a good amount of the fun out of it. A good balance between both would be the best. I myself like arcade type racing more because of this but there are also some realistic racing games that I like

pwarbi likes this.
  5. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I think you're right, and while we all want to see games more and more realistic, the fun will get less so the game developers have to try and find the right balance.

There will have to be an element if fun in the games because after all that's what they are. Games. Games that we play for fun above everything else.

6. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

Yup. I'm guessing there are those that get a lot more enjoyment from games that are as realistic as possible, though I think the extreme of that would be a bit niche anyway so probably developers will always have a reason to keep games more fantastical as much as they keep pushing for realism.

7. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

It's finding that balance and trying to make everyone happy that will always be a struggle for the game developers. Another thing they'll look at is the sales figures aswell. While some gamers might say they prefer the more realistic racing games, if the arcade style racers are selling more, then you can see why they will be more inclined to make them instead.

8. justrace

justrace Member

The first aspect of a good racing game is the graphics. I would love a game with awesome glittering graphics. The second aspect is the interface. Most of the game have a dull interface. The developers start to focus on the game instead of the interface. So, I would like a game to have an interesting interface.

9. justrace

justrace Member

That is a good point. The games without the drifting and damage mechanics and are always boring. The damage mechanics is the most important one. I love the crashes and the damages of the car in the game. So, I would love a game that gives more priority to the damage mechanics.

10. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

The damage to the cars as been an issue from day one, and I think it came to the forefront more because of the Gran Turismo series. What was billed as the real racing simulator, only to find you could be involved in a five car crash and sustain no damage whatsoever was a major flaw in the game.

11. likeandba

likeandba Member

It would like to see many new features. I think a good racing game should have the many cars. The more cars it has, the more games it will attract. Almost all the racers would love to collect a lot of cars in the racing game. I think this is the most wanted feature.

12. likeandba

likeandba Member

Developers usually implement the real physics in the racing game. I think it is not a good idea to implement real physics. The games should contain something and it should allow us to do something that is not possible in the real world ( beyond physics). I would love to see this type of game.

13. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

But if a racing game implements things in there that can't be done in the real world, it isn't a simulator anymore, and I think that's what most people want when buying a racing game.