What Do You Think of Racing Games AI?

Discussion in 'Sim Racing' started by spence88, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

This has happened to me lots of times. Sometimes I get so far ahead that I get too overconfident or sometimes I even get too bored so I tend to lose focus and mess up and take a spill or just turn at the less efficient points in the road. Of course the AI is quick to capitalize and I end up finishing second right at the last few seconds of the game. Makes me rage, to be honest, but I know it's my fault and I'm only playing against CPU so I don't have much choices or recourse.

2. spectre456

spectre456 Member

It's a really great game, I highly recommend it. If you enjoy aggressive AI then you'll definitely have a blast with that game.

3. hafiz93

hafiz93 Member

Yes this has happened to me especially in NFS Most Wanted 2005. Usually when I'm racing the first guy on the blacklist. I would do so well during the race leading all the way until the last minute when he suddenly managed to overtook me out of nowhere.

4. GenevB

GenevB Member

Same thing here, AI appear out of nowhere taking the lead, it makes me lose confidence and believe the game is rigged, when in fact, it only has bad display graphic, as the game is nothing more then some calculus, but the graphic can't keep up with it so it spawns you the enemy from nowhere taking the lead.

5. erook7878

erook7878 Active Member

It sounds pretty intense with them aggressively driving into you. Racing game AI generally don't do that. They usually do there best to avoid you.

6. spectre456

spectre456 Member

Yeah, exactly, and I think that's the biggest reason why I get annoyed with it sometimes. I manage to get a good pace going and then they just smash into me and screw everything up. Still, there's a time reversal mechanic in Grid, so I guess I can't complain too much.

7. spence88

spence88 Member

Just played Mario Kart 8 200cc, and I found the rubberbanding mechanic to be a bit bearable. Since in 200cc you go really really fast, the AIs sometimes might not be able to catch up with you in time before you finish the race! The mode is ridiculous. I see some AIs fly over the track / map because they are going too fast, which never happen in other modes (edit)

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  8. Denis Hard

Denis Hard Member

For arcade racers having some competition makes racing even more exciting. Sure it can be annoying when you are just a mile or so away from the finishing line and your AI opponent whizzes past you but if we won all races playing racing games would be quite boring.

9. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I don't think people mind losing a race, as long as its done fairly though, and being 10 seconds in front on a last lap only to be caught on the final corner, simply doesn't happen in real life.

The AI as to be set so you or they don't get that far ahead in the first place, so the racing is competitive throughout.

10. erook7878

erook7878 Active Member

It can be boring if you just win every race by a large margin. I can see why they develop the game that way. You will definitely play longer when you lose time to time.

Denis Hard likes this.
  11. erook7878

erook7878 Active Member

I'm fine with as well, as long as it isn't outrageous. Some of the AI and rubber banding is just insane. And it always happens on the last lap.

pwarbi likes this.
  12. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

That's the disappointing thing for me, because while there's no doubt that racing games, and the consoles and PC's we play them on gave advanced, but the AI seems stuck in the past still, and while I know we all like playing games that are good to look at, we also want games that are challenging to play aswell.

13. spence88

spence88 Member

Yeah I see what you mean. But that's the point, I mean the reason why I sometimes play against the AI is to have fun or maybe feel good about myself (when winning by a large margin when I know I'm playing really well). But then it happens that some AI catches up with me no sweat or came out of nowhere and just passes me which destroys my ego is definitely not fun, because I didn't know why it happened or what just happened. So yeah rubberbanding, in this case, destroys the point of playing with the AI.

14. erook7878

erook7878 Active Member

That is where the AI is just maddening. When they just come out of nowhere, it's like what just happened. Those last lap dashes are just soul crushing when they happen.

15. erook7878

erook7878 Active Member

AI is just one of those thing developers just haven't quite figured out. AI is generally bad across all video game genres. Graphics and game play has improved dramatically, but AI is still not that great. AI is one of the hot areas among engineers and computer scientists, so I think were going to see a huge leap in improved AI in the next few years.

pwarbi likes this.
  16. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I think you're right as there's not a great deal more the developers can do now in regards to the aesthetics of the game, so now its time to concentrate on the game engine itself.

Some might say it should have been the other way round, and the AI is more important than the look of a game, but we're getting there eventually, well...I hope we are anyway!

17. spence88

spence88 Member

I agree with you guys. However, upon further thinking, t came to my mind that the developers should be spending more time on improving the gameplay than the AI. After all, the metagame is the most important aspect of a game and not the single player vs. AI. OR, maybe, they CAN improve the AI but is holding the improvements back because that might take a big hit on system performance. Don't know, just my ideas.

18. Norjak71

Norjak71 Member

Keep in mind a lot of games have a feature called 'catchup' that you should be able to turn off. It's put in there in case you wipe out or run into a wall or miss a checkpoint. That way you can get back into the race and your not playing, well 'catchup' the whole race.

19. erook7878

erook7878 Active Member

There will always be room for improvement when it comes to graphics, but AI just lags so far behind the improvements in graphics and game play over the years. Have you seen the movie Ex Machina? It's crazy to think AI will get to the point of being indistinguishable from human intelligence, but by then, video games will be well beyond the typical controller/console setup. Video games will probably be like real life at that point.

pwarbi likes this.
  20. Denis Hard

Denis Hard Member

Anytime I use cheats in a game and I'm leading sometimes I have to slow down and let my opponents overtake me. Once they do, I'll accelerate and try to catch them before they win.