What Do You Do With Your Old Consoles?

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by Wubwub, Nov 4, 2013.

1. tdog6236

tdog6236 New Member

I sell my old consoles and games to help pay for new games or whatever. I'm kind of wishing I didn't because there were some great games back then and it would be awesome to play all those games from my childhood. But, it's hard for me to play games with bad graphics now because I'm so used to the graphics nowadays.

2. burtpovski

burtpovski Member

I just keep them plugged into the TV. But I'd save them for sure because they bring back memories! Plus, there some old games that still entertain me. Maybe in the future, they would be worth a lot of money as a collector's item!

3. FosterTXT

FosterTXT Member

I still have mostly every game console that I have ever owned, some are even still hooked up. Like for example, I still have my original Xbox and PlayStation 1 hooked up and I play them pretty often. Old game consoles can still be a lot of fun to play if you give the games a chance and not judge them for their dated graphics. My NES and Genesis some how magically disappeared though.

4. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

@burtpovski - I think that's a great way to go about it and I personally wish I had done the same. I'm sure those old consoles will be worth a whole lot especially after a few more decades. I also still like to play a lot of the retro games and I wish I could still play some of them.

5. jurew2

jurew2 Member

I keep my old consoles in the basement, they're probably full of dust right now. I don't want to get rid of them, because they are part of my childhood and they are not worth a lot anymore so selling them isn't such a great deal. Sometimes I take an old console out of the basement and play some oldschool games on them just to get the memories of my childhood a check-up.

6. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

@jurew2 I agree and I think I would do the same. The retro games and consoles might sell for a good price nowadays, but I imagine it will sell a bit better in a few more decades and selling it now wouldn't really do that much good. You might get a few hundred dollars out of it, but that amount can be so easily spent so I think keeping the consoles is a much better move for now.

7. rgrimes

rgrimes Member

I like to play on my old consoles for a bit of nostalgia. Other then that, I'll probably still keep them or put it up on ebay.

8. davidj96

davidj96 New Member

I save my old consoles, they're pretty much considered collectibles in my eyes. I still have my old Sony PlayStation 2 along with my original Xbox console. My plan is to open them up and clean them out real good, clean up the motherboard, and replace any broken or missing pieces that may have fallen off the consoles. So my plan is refurnish them and perhaps pass them on to my future children someday.

9. mssfgaming

mssfgaming Member

Honestly, they are sitting in my closet just collecting dust. My DS, Gameboy, Playstation, NES and Wii are just slowly dying away in the depths of my closet. It sort of sucks because I sort of just discarded them. But, I wouldn't actually just do that because later on, they could be of some value to me. They could be worth a lot or maybe I just want to pick them up again and just start playing some old-school retro games on it. I wish that consoles never really end up being discontinued because as soon as next gen comes out, your current gen (or let's say past gen) is now going to be useless in a couple of years. Of course, Nintendo didn't really follow this as Gameboy games could be played on the DS and the DS games could be played on the DSi and the 3DS.

10. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

@mssfgaming I think that's okay as a practice since you'd at least have the choice to play your games if you do decide later on that you want to play your retro collection . I myself would love to play some of my old games but unfortunately all my consoles are gone. You might want to watch out with keeping the batteries inside some of the portable devices though as I think they tend to leak after some time although I don't know if that's also true for newer technology batteries.

11. kaitheteen

kaitheteen Member

I usually sell them a few days before Christmas, really works and I make a few bucks!

12. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I guess Christmas would be the best time to sell them since a lot of people would have some extra cash to spend on gifts for their loved ones or for themselves. Good strategy!

13. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Member

I keep all of my old consoles and play them from time to time. I have a bookshelf where all my old systems live and sometimes I still buy old games for them. I don't get rid of good game systems just because something new and shiny comes along.

14. WAVWirmer

WAVWirmer Member

I feel bad for you OP hopefully your systems are in someones house making them happy and giving them many good memories. Luckily I still have all my old systems on my media center connected to a hub plugged into my TV. My original Genesis, dreamcast, SNES, n64, gamecube, wii, ps1, ps2, ps3, ps4, og xbox and xbox 360. All ready to go at a puch of a few buttons.

15. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Member

I still love my old consoles. It doesn't matter if new ones come along. Be it for nostalgia or just simple gaming enjoyment, I still play games on my old consoles. It's still fun for me.

16. dinomarino1

dinomarino1 Member

i stock pile mine and hope that t retains a greater value in the future as compared to just selling at face value during its popular stages. i even like to break em out and play them on occasion

17. KNH

KNH Member

I keep mine, typically because I don't want to just throw them out yet I don't want to get $4 for my N64 at Gamestop, so I really don't know what else to do.

18. WAVWirmer

WAVWirmer Member

If you want to keep the best value try and save the boxes with any paper work and packaging and stuff like that. Collectors love it and if the console is clean and in working condition. It will make make a HUGE difference in how much you can get for selling it.

19. troutski

troutski Active Member

I always either sold old consoles or simply lost them in between moves or something similar to that. -_-

20. peelout247

peelout247 Member

Honestly, I am not a hoarder to I have the tendency to give things away that I no longer have an interest in. Who would have thought that retro gaming consoles would be a collectors item some day. I would have held on to my Sega Genesis, NES, Regular X Box, Nintendo 64, Gamecube and what ever else I had. I mean I hear the Gamecube games on Amazon go for a bundle now.