What Camera View Do You Prefer

Discussion in 'Sim Racing' started by spence88, Apr 13, 2016.

1. spence88

spence88 Member

So I'm surprised this hasn't still been asked. In most racing games, you have to option to change your camera / screen view. Some games have the option to set a custom zoom, some just switch views from first person to third person view. They have their own advantages and disadvantages, I've seen a couple of people use the first person view, but most use third person.

So how about you? What view do you prefer?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  2. sillylucy

sillylucy Member

I can not do first person when I am driving around because I get car sick. Yes, I get car sick from playing racing and driving games. The view just makes me feel like I am going too fast and I get dizzy.

3. puneeth8994

puneeth8994 Member

Third person view kinda helps me concentrate over many things at the same time and it's been something I've been using for a long time.

4. spence88

spence88 Member

Thanks for the quick responses, when I was still new to racing games, I personally liked third person view or behind the car view, as you'll be able to see a better perspective of what's ahead. But then I tried to switch views , I was quite surprised that the first person view actually makes it a lot easier to make turns! It just doesn't feel like it, but it's definitely more effective. At least for me that is.

5. rajesh1209

rajesh1209 Member

In the games like NFS Most Wanted, I like the 'front view'. Well, the front view is much more interesting than the normal view. I am able to look the front part of the car while driving it and it looks really awesome. So, front view is my favourite.

6. ZXD123

ZXD123 Member

I used to always be a back bumper view type of guy ever since I was a youngster, but I have recently switched to the cockpit view just like in real life to practice some driving with the driving wheel control scheme.

7. Locoton22

Locoton22 Member

I personally like the 3rd person view because that way I can have a complete vision of the way and the car itself, it helps me a lot to avoid crashing and that kind of stuff.

8. erook7878

erook7878 Active Member

Third person is my favorite view. Even though first person is the more realistic view, it feels the most unnatural as well. Third person is easily the best view for racing games.

9. erook7878

erook7878 Active Member

I've never gotten sick from that view, but I totally understand how you could. It's a very cramped setting and the closeness to the road and going with whichever direction the car is going can be disorienting. I just avoid first person view for the most part.

10. spence88

spence88 Member

Yeah I too get what you mean. It depends on the game actually. Sometimes it's the fault of your PC! When you change camera views, the game might drop some frames because your system can't handle the load, making it feel laggy. Playing at low FPS can be dizzy sometimes, especially at fast paced games like racing games. So yeah, that could be a probabl cause, so just take extra caution :)

11. Denis Hard

Denis Hard Member

I've tried all camera views and the one I liked least was first person view. There's something about it that feels . . . different.

That said I always choose third person view. It doesn't feel immersive for me it's better than first person view. In fact for most arcade racers, third person view is the best.

12. hafiz93

hafiz93 Member

I always go for third person view. With third person view I feel like I have a more clearer view of the track. I feel a bit dizzy sometimes with first person view, especially when the car crashes a lot.

13. spectre456

spectre456 Member

I used to go for third person view and any other option would just feel weird to me. Lately I've been using first person just to give it a shot and I must say I like it quite a bit.
    You miss out on some things you see on third person, but it just feels more authentic and fun to me.

14. puneeth8994

puneeth8994 Member

I don't know, it's hard to get an understanding of everything on the road in any other camera views other than third person view. Same stands for all NFS games as well.

15. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

The camera I'd like to choose is the in car/drivers view, but its simply to narrow for me, and there's too much going on to be able to concentrate on the road.

The bonnet or roof cam is the one I get most my success with, so either of them is fine with me.

16. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I choose third person view all the way all the time. I never liked first person view regardless of the genre. I always prefer knowing exactly how much space around me I can work with without having to do guesswork.

pwarbi likes this.
  17. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I think maybe if we got used to it then it would be ok, but it does tend to limit your field of vision. On a time trial for example when you're the only one on the road its ok, but not for actual racing.

18. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Member

I prefer a third person camera view because I get motion sick and don't like the queasy feeling I get when watching the landscape whiz by. This is also why I probably won't do well with the Oculus Rift or any VR device.

19. 1_8t

1_8t New Member

I always used third person view or rear view. I think it has a lot to do with what game got you started on racing games. Mine was N64 games like mario cart, and I just got used to it being that way. If I'm using a wheel and peddles (quality type, not a wii wheel...) on a pc I try use 1st person just to make it more authentic. Overall rear view is my go to. It just gives you a much better perspective on the race, especially when it comes to those trying to pass you.

20. Norjak71

Norjak71 Member

I tend to enjoy the first person aspect as far as pure thrill goes because it always feels like I'm actually there especially when I switch over from my monitor to my big TV; however, I wish it was easier to control. I have a hard time seeing out of blind spots. For the purely aesthetic appeal I go to the farthest stretching view in 3rd person. You can see your whole car plus any modifications and it gives you a wider view-range as far as upcoming checkpoints/turns and the ability to see any other racers coming up right behind you.