To similar to Scarface?

Discussion in 'GTA Vice City' started by Mr. Bellic, Aug 6, 2013.

1. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Member

It's supposed to be a giant reference to 80s tv and movies in general so, It's not exactly a bad thing, it's what they wanted and I certainly love it.

2. Rohan99

Rohan99 Member

Yes it may have similarities to scarface but was that a bad thing? Gta San Andrea had a lot of influence from LA violent areas such as Compton and I read were the corrupt police officers were based off the LAPD.

3. rachael

rachael New Member

Vice City was made with Scarface in mind, the study in Diaz/Vercetti mansion is a replica of the Tony's study at the end of the movie. Any similarities between the two are intentional.

4. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Member

I see both Scarface references and Miami Vice as well. It's very much inspired by those 80's crime shows and famous shows/movies that took place in Florida.

5. moneyman

moneyman New Member

In my opinion it is great that game producers have made these kind of relations in the games especially since the game is based on the 80's.

6. Max007

Max007 New Member

I agree, it feels a lot like Tony Montana. Their are a lot of similarities. The main character wears the same white jacket. It is also set in the same type of setting the movie was. The use of the chainsaw was very similar to. Also the dance club looked the same as it did in Scarface. I liked the game though.

Also the characters look like the ones from the movie. The heavy guy in the game, looks like the person who chopped up Tony's friend in Scarface. It wasn't entirely similar to Scarface. Their was no Frank or anything like that. It almost feels a little bit like Miami Vice to.

7. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Member

Yeah, Vice City is based on Miami in the 80's. They referenced a lot of 80's pop culture, other than Scarface and Miami Vice as well. Even the people and the styles look like they're straight from the 80's.

8. Askani

Askani Member

I think it was like an homage to that movie and the genre it helped spawn. I think Rockstar are huge fans and wanted a world like that of their own to play in so they went and made one. I just see super fans living the absolute dream.

9. erik120

erik120 New Member

Well they may not be too similar but of course you can see from the miriad of themes and references in Vice City's storyline, characters, placement and everything that they are tongue in cheek apropos to classic gangster movies, especially Scarface in this case. Tommy Vercetti => Tony Montana being one of the more obvious references for me :D

10. LanceVance

LanceVance New Member

It's too bad that the actual Scarface game sucked. I had a Playstation 2 laying around the house and after I finished VC I got the idea to try it out, since it's so similar. I bought it for something like $6, but I could only play it for about an hour, the graphics were too bad.

11. Rowe992

Rowe992 New Member

Well the GTA series is inspired by real life and some movies so I don't mind the similarity. As long as the game is not entirely based off the movie then I am good with it.

12. Thomas Hall

Thomas Hall New Member

The game was like Scarface, alittle. We get to play as Tommy Vercetti and see the world of crime from his view and based in the 80s. The missions and chainsaw fight like Scarface. Only in this Tommy does not get hooked on cocaine like Tony does in the movie and make bad choices.

13. LanceVance

LanceVance New Member

Am I the only person who didn't like the movie? I hated Tony Montana, he was such a douche, but it may have something to be with Al Pacino, because I don't generally like his acting. I always see guys with Tony Montana avatars on forums, like he was the coolest character.