To similar to Scarface?

Discussion in 'GTA Vice City' started by Mr. Bellic, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Mr. Bellic

Mr. Bellic New Member

Did any of you notice how similar VC was to the movie Scarface? I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but I saw a lot of similarities to the movie, especially in one of the houses there was a chainsaw with blood in a bathtub. But the character reminds me a lot of Tony Montana, maybe it's because of what he wore.

But yeah, did you guys catch any similarities to VC and Scarface?

2. OscarDaGrouch

OscarDaGrouch New Member

Yeah I can see how it looked a lot like Scarface. I noticed those similarities as well and thought it was pretty cool. Since I loved the movie scarface I really didn't mind the similarities because it was like a sandbox game of the movie :D

3. Riles

Riles New Member

Vice City definitely borrows many themes from Scarface. I'm a fan of both so it was certainly something I enjoyed immensely.

Especially the end.

"Say Hello To My Little Friend!"

4. BCH

BCH New Member

It's not too similar whatsoever. GTA has always been about paying homage to gangster classics and Vice City was the perfect setting for a lot of Scarface references.

5. SpiralArchitect

SpiralArchitect Member

Vice City riffs on a lot of classic gangster and mafia movies and not just Scarface. There are a lot of references scattered around the game and while Scarface may seem like an obvious influence, the game is hardly similar to it. Also, Tony Montana isn't half as coolas Vercetti. There, I said it.

6. pilot2fly

pilot2fly New Member

I think Rockstar did that on purpose. The similarities are almost identical. It had a lot of stuff from other movies as well. The overall theme was Scarface, however.

7. Chaos

Chaos Member

Well I think that was the idea for this game. The missions, the house and the character greed, the 80's atmosphere are all similar with the ones that we can see in the Scarface movie.

8. gats

gats Member

Yeah, the game was intentionally made to look like Scarface. There are lots of elements from other 80's movies and pop culture in general that were implemented into the game.

9. ENO1986

ENO1986 New Member

GTA is known for borrowing stories from other movies SA is based off a few movies as well, but I forget which ones it's based on.

10. LanceVance

LanceVance New Member

It's suppose to be a rip off of scarface. Just take a look at the inside of the mansion, it's identical to Scarface.

11. Jonnypop

Jonnypop New Member

Tommy Vercetti definitely had similarities with Scarface. It was fun and the themes intertwined really well.

This game probably had the best sound track of all games so far possibly?

12. sidney

sidney Member

I haven't watched the movie "Scarface" yet, so I can't really comment thoroughly, but Tommy Vercetti was Italian, so that is one obvious signs of a "Scarface" reference. I'm now curious to watch "Scarface" to satisfy my curiosity.

13. sillylucy

sillylucy Member

I agree that his thought did cross my mind when i was buying Scarface. i bought it because I was a fan of the movie and wanted to give it a shot. As for gameplay, it was a little similar, but still hast the GTA feel to it.

14. Aladar

Aladar New Member

I'm pretty sure that's the whole point. Don't quote me on it, but I'm convinced VC is supposed to be an homage to Scarface, just with less drugs.

15. unitedfandoc

unitedfandoc New Member

I think the setting and look of the game is very similar to that of Scarface but the majority of the story and some of the characters are quite similar to those in the movie Carlito's Way. For example, Ken Rosenberg is heavily based on the character Kleinfeld from Carlito's Way.
    [​IMG]

16. daimashin

daimashin New Member

I think Rockstar based Vice City off of Scarface. Maybe it was meant as a reference to the movie. There is no doubt that both share a lot of similarities.

17. Esperahol

Esperahol Member

It is similar, but that is kind of a running theme in GTA games. I mean San Andreas has a lot to do with Boys In the Hood and NWA and all of that sort of thing whereas GTA III was like a lot of mid-to-late 90 movies involving an anti-hero taking back his city or whatever. It's part of the fun. Also I enjoyed the usage of chainsaws rather a bit too much.

18. Kandikkal

Kandikkal Member

I agree with this. Scarface has a reputation of being a classic gangster movie. The developers must have intentionally added references to it.

19. chasedood

chasedood New Member

Haha. Yeah the game is for sure just like the movie Scarface. Especially because of the scene you were talking about with the chainsaw and the bathtub and all of that. I actually loved it because it was like the movie, because it is one of my favorite all time movies really.

20. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Member

I don't think they're too similar. You can definitely tell that Rockstar had Scarface and Miami Vice on their mind when they made this game, and that's not a bad thing. They got some inspiration.