Speed vs. Acceleration vs. Control

Discussion in 'Sim Racing' started by spence88, Apr 13, 2016.

1. spence88

spence88 Member

Let's talk about car stats. Most racing games, if not all, offer wide customization options for your car. From getting a nitro to getting new tires for drifting, you can have the perfect setup for your car and for you. However, there is often a trade off between speed, acceleration and control. Those 3 are the most important stats for your car in a racing game. If you go for speed, you might have less control and acceleration. Vice-versa.

So having said all that, how do you set up your car?

2. sillylucy

sillylucy Member

I love adding nitro to my car, but only if I will have control over it. I hate when you engage the nitro and then you start going all wild and crazy and can't drive straight.

3. puneeth8994

puneeth8994 Member

I prefer control usually because mistakes at high speed cost you a lot than the loss with lesser speed.

4. spence88

spence88 Member

Thanks for sharing guys, I personally prefer acceleration and control over speed in VS. and multiplayer games, simply because I'll get bumped and get hit (by items) more often than not, especially in Mario Kart games. However, in single player time attack, I'm normally going for the best time, so I don't need acceleration and control, because my line will not change and my speed is constant. It's best to focus on speed in my opinion.

5. rajesh1209

rajesh1209 Member

Well, 'speed and acceleration' are the two things that matter to me. Honestly, I don't care about control. I will only choose the cars with good speed and acceleration. Among these two, speed is the most important factor for me.

6. ZXD123

ZXD123 Member

I'd want to have a good balance between all of those attributes to maximize the cars performance. That way the car will be nice and balanced and providing a smooth, comfortable, fast ride in the race.

7. Locoton22

Locoton22 Member

Acceleration and control might be the best options for me since you need some good acceleration in orderto be fast and also control to not crash the car on high speed.

8. spence88

spence88 Member

Hi guys, as an OP, I'd like to make a request. Aside from directly answering my question, please also provide your reason why you choose or prefer one over the other! While it's good to know which you prefer, it's great to know WHY! That way, we can share views and strategies that is effective on racing games, enhancing our own knowledge even more! Thanks :)

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  9. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I like to keep it balanced as much as possible but if I had to give up on one I'd stop leveling up the control or handling just because that's the one I can just get used to and work around whereas no amount of skill can help me speed up my acceleration or increase my top speed.

spence88 likes this.
  10. spence88

spence88 Member

I forgot to include this on my previous post. Although I am quite conscious of my car's stats, I more often than not, won't care at all! I just pick a car I like and then race! Unless I am in a competition or in an online ranked ladder match, I just pick the car that I feel like using and play. Especially when playing with friends, I just pick the character / car I think I'll have fun with at the moment and not care much about the stats. :)

11. hafiz93

hafiz93 Member

Control is the most important aspect to me. If I have tremendous speed and accelerations but very poor controls then I'm as good as last place. With good control I'll be able to catch up on every turn and corner. While with poor controls I'll lose a lot of time trying to get my car back on track since I'll crash my car quite often, and even with great speed I'll end up in 3rd place at best.

spence88 likes this.
  12. Susime

Susime Active Member

When setting a car up I always try to make it as light as possible so that I can get better acceleration out of it, and then I go for better tyres and then after that I try to put more horses into it.

It might not be the best way of setting the cars up but I like doing it like this because I try to go for that slight bit of realism. For instance while setting up a 5 door sedan, I do a full weight reduction on it because you wouldn't really see it with all the seats in it racing around.

spence88 likes this.
  13. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

When I set up my cars, I normally go for handling and straight line speed as I think they're the two most important factors, but a lot of course depends on the track aswell.

In a particularly winding track, I'll swap the straight line speed for the acceleration to be able to power out of the corners better.

spence88 likes this.
  14. Squigly

Squigly Active Member

Control and Acceleration. Most racing games unfortunately have a rubberband mechanic so top speed isn't as important as the other two.

15. erook7878

erook7878 Active Member

I'd go with speed and control in my ideal race. In urban tracks with many turns, you would favor acceleration over speed. Generally, I like cars with high top speed and good control.

16. erook7878

erook7878 Active Member

Ultimately, we always fall back on handling. I always choose the fastest car, but then you realize you can't turn for crap and then I'll go for a better handling car. You are absolutely right that it is the most important aspect of racing.

17. erook7878

erook7878 Active Member

This is true for many games. The speed factor is always attractive because it's just more fun to go fast, but it is true that the rubber banding will negate some of the speed advantages. Some games like GT don't really have the rubber banding, so speed is a much bigger deal there.

18. spectre456

spectre456 Member

I usually try to go for acceleration and control. This lets me take corners better and speed out of them faster. I'm not the best racer ever, but it does feel more comfortable to me instead of going for pure speed.

19. Denis Hard

Denis Hard Member

Control and Speed. Acceleration doesn't matter much because though it might take a while to reach your top speed once you do you'll catch up with the cars with higher acceleration and lower top speeds. That's why I choose Control and Speed.

20. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

Acceleration matters most on the right, twisting tracks more as getting the power down out if the corner is more important than the straight line speed.

Drive around Monaco for example and I think your top speed only gets to maybe 100 at the very most, as all the rest are short straights with tight bends.

Denis Hard likes this.