Single Player: Time Attack vs. AI

Discussion in 'Sim Racing' started by spence88, Apr 13, 2016.

1. spence88

spence88 Member

Hey guys, when playing a racing game the first time in single player mode, how do you play or practice? Do you go ahead and race with AIs? Or do you first scan the map and learn the mechanics through Time Attack mode? If the former, then what difficulty will you set? If the latter, how much time do you normally take?

Note: I'm talking about playing a racing game as a beginner :)

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  2. Denis Hard

Denis Hard Member

When playing a new game I initially go for easy mode, get a feel of the tracks, handling of the vehicles and after some practice [it could take a few hours] I'll be good enough to try something more challenging.

3. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I just get into the main game as fast as possible because I'm very impatient and usually want to get a feel for the actual game as quickly as I can. I do this unless my losses will be permanently tracked or if it will result in getting bad items in the game but most of the time you could just reset the round if you lose so I just choose to get acquainted with the game that way.

4. spectre456

spectre456 Member

I usually go straight for AI and the online racing if possible. It's probably not the best idea and I end up getting creamed, but I have fun with it.
    I really like what Grid Autosport did about this. They give you ten minutes to drive around the track before you start the race. It's only im campaign, but it really helps you get a feel for each new track before you compete.

5. hafiz93

hafiz93 Member

Usually I just go ahead and race with the AI in a normal mode. Usually I'll just race one-on-one with an AI before diving into other parts of the game.

6. puneeth8994

puneeth8994 Member

Time attack's always better AI. It helps in understanding the track.

7. ZXD123

ZXD123 Member

I always tend to play against the AI. I usually like to screw around with the bots and try to mess them up just for my entertainment purposes.

8. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I do this too. I find these modes a bit boring to be completely honest so I try and amuse myself as much as I can whenever I'm forced to finish these stages just to get through to the next one.

9. erook7878

erook7878 Active Member

I just go into it immediately and play races against AI. I always say I'm going to test out the track and practice before playing real races, but I never do. I like to play on the default difficulty which is usually normal and then ramp it up once I get better.

10. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

When I first pick a new game up, I'll usually try and get a feel for the handling of the cars in a few time attacks of the course or time trials against my best times.

I just feel that every game is slightly different, so that helps me to get a feel for it.

11. 1_8t

1_8t New Member

I find using the ghost feature the best route to go when getting the feel for a new game. You are just trying to beat yourself, and it's really easy to see where you are losing time. I find it very useful for seeing if I'm braking too early into corners or going too wide. By the time you've done ten or so laps with the ghost on I feel like i know what I'm in for and how to best play the game.

12. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

Me too. Unless the game won't give me infinite chances to practice I don't find it too risky to just jump in and do the challenges with AI and I just try to figure it out there because it's much more fun than just racing by yourself.

13. belovedad

belovedad Member

I race against AI because I believe I go faster doing so. Racing by myself is something I never liked doing unless it was a challenge or something. When I compete with others, I have a reason to go faster and a reason to win. This is my opinion though.

14. raceman998

raceman998 Member

Yes, that's true. It really helps in understanding the track.

15. raceman998

raceman998 Member

Yes, using the ghost feature is really a good idea.

16. raceman998

raceman998 Member

That's really an interesting thought. You sound like a competitive and smart person.:)

17. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

I race against the A.I for the first couple of rounds to get a feel for the track, then after that I do a few Time Attack laps and at that point I should be comfortable driving there.

18. Susime

Susime Active Member

I usually start off in time attack mode and do a couple laps to get myself in with the physics of the game before I jump into a race against the AI starting at hard and then working up in difficulty.

19. belovedad

belovedad Member

Haha! Thank you. I will say I am competitive yes but smart.. I get it a lot but I think I do a lot of stupid things which outweigh anything sensible I do.

20. Squigly

Squigly Active Member

Time attack is where it's at if you're looking to seriously improve.