Rocket League

Discussion in 'Sim Racing' started by Squigly, Dec 6, 2015.

1. Squigly

Squigly Active Member

I'm not too sure if some would consider this to be a racing game, but it's one of the more popular online games out there nowadays. The gameplay is pretty basic, pitting teams of 2-4 remote controlled cars against each other in a soccer-like game. The tricks you can do with the ball are pretty crazy though.

Has anyone tried out this game? It's consistently on the Steam top seller list atm, with cross platform multiplayer with PSN users.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/252950/

2. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

This game really came out of nowhere which makes it even better because most of hype hype comes from recommendations from players rather than marketing. They have done a great job at maintaining it too and also providing some very creative new content.

3. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

Not really out of no where, there was a game similar to Rocket League (can't remember the name) made by the same developers so it has a background. Rocket League is amazing, I have a lot of fun playing it!

4. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

Wow I didn't know that and now I'm curious to see where they started off from. Still, I think this probably hit the mainstream a lot stronger than their previous game? I am very interested in seeing the previous one now though.

5. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

It definitely hit the mainstream stronger, but the past game was also relatively popular. A lot of their userbase moved onto Rocket League, especially since it was free on the PS4.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
    Wubwub likes this.
  6. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I'm always the last one to know about these things so the fact that I know about this title means it really has gotten very popular lol. I forgot to look into their previous version but now I'm going to have to look it up.

7. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

That game is pretty decent and I played it, but Rocket League is definitely a way better game. I'm not sure you can play it anymore, but you can always try. :p

Wubwub likes this.
  8. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I'm sure there is an emulator version of it somewhere especially now that the have presumably gotten lots of new fans from their now popular game which may lead to more people looking into the origins.

9. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

Well, the game is called Superson Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars and it came out in 2008 only for PS3, so if you have one of those laying around you can play it as long as the servers are still online.

Wubwub likes this.
  10. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

Nice, I was actually assuming the game was older than that for some reason and luckily it's on the ps3 which we do have so I'll probably even be able to pick it up as I assume I could buy it now for much cheaper.

11. rajesh1209

rajesh1209 Member

Why are you doubting it? It is definitely a vehicle soccer video game. I remember I played this game few weeks ago and I enjoyed it a lot. The only drawback of this game is the limited consoles it supports. It was released on July 7,2015 and the platform the platforms it supported was only 2 in number. It supported only Microsoft Windows and PS4.

12. belovedad

belovedad Member

I got it recently. I don't like it though. The idea is good and I can see I might have liked it a few years back but now I just don't like it. Uninstalled it quickly.

13. Locoton22

Locoton22 Member

Yeah the game came out of nowhere and made such a massive impact on a lot of people, became really popular out of nowhere and that's what impressed me I've got to say it is indeed a great game it is somehow addictive on the long term, not something to play for a lot of time though.

14. erook7878

erook7878 Active Member

The ball looks like an interesting feature in a racing game. I'm not sure this would be considered a racing game though. It seems like a cool variation of a soccer game with cars.

15. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

Yeah I guess technically the most racing part about it is that competitors race towards the ball constantly which I guess counts in a way. Still, it's at least not that far off since it still deals with vehicles. :D

spence88 likes this.
  16. spence88

spence88 Member

Yeah, it's definitely not racing. Soccer =/= racing. But it's about cars alright. Haven't played this before, but I watched a lot of gameplay and it's really entertaining on a viewer's perspective. Would love to try this out sometime.

17. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I guess technically there is some racing to it as people do race towards the ball lol. It really is so much fun so give it a try. I heard there are now tournaments for it too which for me just makes it that much more interesting.

18. ZXD123

ZXD123 Member

Yea Rocket League is very popular, especially in my school. I know that many of my friends play it and it is a pretty good amount as well. Around 60 kids! Crazy!

19. spectre456

spectre456 Member

It's amazing how fun this game turned out to be. I'm really glad it was free on ps+ as I would have otherwise not played it at all. It is now the game I've played the most since I got my ps4 though.

20. erook7878

erook7878 Active Member

I'd put it in the same category as twisted metal. The only racing part in it is the fact there are vehicles in it. Outside of that, it seems more like a soccer game.