Racing Game Music

Discussion in 'Sim Racing' started by tjmsrubegoldberg, Nov 3, 2014.

1. GlacialDoom

GlacialDoom Member

I guess games with original soundtracks are alright, but I'd very much prefer if the driving game I'm playing has popular songs, songs which I know and have listened to before, as I don't tend to be very adventurous when it comes to music; I always listen to the same stuff, and I very rarely find new songs I like because of this.

2. burtpovski

burtpovski Member

Music isn't a 100% must for every game in my opinion. The main things that I personally look for are the game play itself and the graphics. Music is just an addition to the game that makes it feel more fun.

3. troutski

troutski Active Member

Well, games without any music whatsoever tend to be boring, except perhaps racing games that have incredible sound, but that's not always a given.

4. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I like finding new songs in games too. Although I have to admit these days when there's so many avenues to discover new music I'm not too interested anymore and would now much rather they start composing original music again.

5. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

I really like some hard dubstep, trap songs since they pump me up for the race and they also really fit in! :D Hip-Hop is also not that bad.

6. rajesh1209

rajesh1209 Member

Actually, I like any type of music running in the background of a particular game. For racing games, I like the heavy-metal ones. For the advanced racing game and for the games like Mario Kart and Need for speed, pop music is perfect for me.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
  7. erook7878

erook7878 Active Member

I like that about racing games. It usually has popular music which I like. GT had some great songs.

8. Potausen

Potausen Member

I like the music that the engines make. Nothing beats the roars of the monsters you're racing in. I just don't like listening to music while racing, because it doesn't feel authentic.

9. dsrg_92

dsrg_92 New Member

I'm actually the same way in finding new songs from racing games. I always like having music playing in the background while I'm racing. It sorta puts me in a visual trance whenever I'm in the zone. For example, I've always liked listening to the soundtrack of Need for Speed Underground 2 when I play that game. It's like a mix of rock, hip-hop, EDM.

10. ZXD123

ZXD123 Member

My most favorite racing game music has to be from the Need for speed franchise, especially Hot Pursuit 2, High Stakes, and actually, pretty much all of the old Need for speeds lol.

11. spence88

spence88 Member

While I agree with everything else you've said, I would have to disagree on this one. It's all about song selection. In my opinion, Need for Speed song selection is very good. Well, for Need for Speed: Most Wanted that is.

Depends, there are music which I just can't seem to get enough. But in general, yeah.

12. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

When it comes to the music in racing games, I only ever tend to.listen to it a couple of times before I either turn it down or put it on mute, especially when I'm actually racing anyway.

I'll either usually listen to my own music in the background or depending on how hard I'm concentrating i'll listen to nothing at all.

13. tgthewriter1

tgthewriter1 Member

I personally do not like racing game music and I have my reasons. I do not like racing games music because mainstream music is not the music I listen to anymore. I do not listen to the mainstream music because it’s not music. Most of the racing games in modern times will play the mainstream music. I hate that mainstream crap. I prefer to to listen to my own music when I play a racing game. I like to pretend like I am driving in my own car. I do not own a car due to car accident but I like to dream. The game developers should just allow players to listen to their own music so they can get more sales. Some of us do not like that mainstream crap on the radio.

14. sillylucy

sillylucy Member

I will always love the music on Crazy Taxi. It just takes me back to that time and I can clearly see the games and remember all of my routes. I think the music just helps you race faster.

15. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

The music in racing games always seems to be an afterthought for me, as if the game developers have said what happens in the players get tired of listening to screeching tyres and engine tones? I know, lets chuck a couple of songs together and so they can listen to them aswell.

There just doesn't seem to be any thought in it.

16. Susime

Susime Active Member

Some of the older games on the PS1 & 2 had some amazing music to them. Thinking of GT 1 & 2, they also had songs with lyrics but they also had their own versions of songs but just instrumental versions. Some of those tracks were really amazing for when you were hot lapping.

Also Burnout 2 has arguable one of the best soundtracks of a PS2 game. It had a neat feature where the music would pick up in base, tempo and sound when you activated the nitro boost.

17. Locoton22

Locoton22 Member

When talking about music on racing games you actually remind me of one hell of a song that I still listen when I travel or some stuff like that, hopefully you know the song I am talking about, here it is.

spence88 likes this.
  18. spence88

spence88 Member

Need For Speed: Most Wanted soundtrack is top notch. I mean the artists came from different and very popular bands. Try "We Control" and "Decadence" for some fast-paced music. If you want techno, then "You'll Be Under My Wheels" by Prodigy could work. I'll also look for some Gran Turismo 1 music. I still remember my most favorite track. I'll share and post it here when I find it.

19. erook7878

erook7878 Active Member

I always loved that they were modern songs, but they were lesser known songs. They were like the Pandora before it existed. I discovered so many new artists through those soundtracks.

20. erook7878

erook7878 Active Member

Some of the newer games go with modern popular music. You should listen to some of the Grand Turismo soundtracks. They would play lesser known musicians. That's what I always loved about the GT soundtracks.