Power Slide

Discussion in 'Mario Kart' started by Strykstar, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Strykstar

Strykstar Member

Do you use the power slide much?
    I like to try doing it, but since I rarely manage it I think I end up wasting time and should stick to turning the regular way.
    Did you take long to master it?

2. TheViper

TheViper Member

The power slide was a pain in my side when I first started out. Now, I am pretty good at pulling it off. It helps but I don't think it makes much of a difference.

3. Squigly

Squigly Active Member

Power sliding is a pretty important technique to master if you're looking to beat the lap records, along with firehopping. However, given the typical chaotic nature of a multiplayer race, it doesn't really contribute much to your final placing, at most you would only save a few seconds but any powerups would easily overshadow its effect.

4. Larrel94

Larrel94 Member

All the time. I'm still not a fan of it compared to MK Wii and 3DS, and I still miss snaking from the DS release. It does give you a huge advantage if you get good at it.

5. Strykstar

Strykstar Member

I remember snaking, that was a ton of fun once you mastered it, I remember when I started playing with friends in person and they would look at me like I was crazy when I did it, but they stopped it when I overtook them hehehe.

6. troutski

troutski Active Member

Power sliding is pretty important if you wanna get really competitive with your lap times. I use the technique and didn't find it that hard to get the hang of.

7. NathanG

NathanG New Member

I had a hard time first learning how to do it, but now that I can do it well, it helps out a lot. It really is essential for a fast time, and also to be good in the races.

8. JessiFox

JessiFox Member

Well I think powersliding is important in MK, so I do try to use it a fair amount of the time. I'm not fantastic at it but I am getting the hang of it a little more, slowly. It's fun to try, at least.

9. moaz13

moaz13 Member

All the time. Once you master it you'll win races so much more easily because you'll have a huge advantage.

10. jurew2

jurew2 Member

When I first started playing the game I was strugling to do the power slide, but now after some more experience I can do it with my eyes closed. I think that it helps you a lot when you try to make your laps faster, so braking some kind of record in Mario Kart without the power slide is not going to happen.

11. BRyze

BRyze Member

Any of you guys have any tips? I still suck with power slides. I'd like to be able to use them better and cut down on times but I just can't get the hang of it.

12. mightymap2

mightymap2 New Member

Back in the day, when I used to play Mariokart 64 on the n64 I would definitely make use of the power slide. The power slide gives you that much needed boost of speed if you can execute it properly. It is a difficult maneuver to master. Practice in the game until you have it down pretty well then let's see what you can do. Mariokart 64 was probably one of the best racing games of all time and one my favorites too.

13. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I don't try it anymore because whenever i do I end up failing and then I end up just losing to my friends. I'd probably try and practice it if I had a system at home but I don't so I can't play it alone and thus can't have much time to myself to figure it out. Whenever I'm at my friend's house we just jump right into it so I don't get much opportunity to practice.

14. mightymap2

mightymap2 New Member

Also, the power change settings and controls have been significantly changed from the earlier version of the game. In addition, the physical controller has evolved and doesn't play nearly the same as the n64 version of MarioKart. This version remains to be the best in my account and the following version can't hold a candle to this one. I'm interested to hear what other people think about the changing controls in this game as well as other games that cause slight differences in each version of the game and cause players to react differently.

15. teabwoi

teabwoi Member

Honestly it is not the easiest thing that you can do in the game but it is really good if you can master it. Once you master it you can literally be unstoppable in the game.

16. GamerPerson

GamerPerson Member

I use the power sliding tactic mostly when I'm in that race track with the flower blossoms. That beginning turn is usually the worst! Especially with the Button and Mr. Scooty! Then again, I use the nunchaku, so I think I have a bit of an advantage.

17. utneqo7d

utneqo7d Member

All the pros do it, with a reason. Once you've got enough control of it, it really helps a lot unless you're in a chaotic multiplayer race. If you want to do some good time trials, you'll definitely have to do some power slides to get a decent time. It's not that hard to master, you just need to practise a lot in the beginning. I play with the classic controller pro from the Wii, it gives a lot of control, and it's a lot easier to power slides.

18. niiro17

niiro17 Member

On my first few tries, it's really hard to master sometimes I fall of the race. But now, I'm pretty good at it. It makes you a great player.

19. GlacialDoom

GlacialDoom Member

Even after playing Mario Kart for a lot of time, I still suck at power sliding. For some reason, I just cannot get used to it, and my ranks in games are a testament to this. My friends are better than me at power sliding, even though some of them are newbies. I am simply a lost cause when it comes to competitively and effectively playing Mario Kart.

I guess I just like doing it for fun.

20. troutski

troutski Active Member

If I don't play Mario Kart for awhile and then pick it up again, I'll sometimes forget how to power slide. :p