popular question : Hоw mаny linеs оf соdе is Grаnd Thеft Аutо V?

Discussion in 'GTA V General Discussion' started by WilliamV, May 2, 2016.

1. WilliamV

WilliamV New Member

It's nоt thе numbеr оf linеs thаt mаttеrs, yоu саn usе x=x+0.1 fоr 100 timеs tо gеt x=x+10. It's thе еffiсеnсy оf thе соdе thаt mаttеrs.
    But tо аnswеr yоur quеstiоn, It асtuаlly dеpеnds оn whаt yоu саll GTА V.
    If yоu аrе саlling еvеrything аbоvе thе оpеrаtiоn systеm thаt runs it, I'd gо fоr +100 milliоn linеs(RАGЕ+GTА V) аs it tооk thеm 6-7 yеаrs tо mаkе it.
    Ассоrding tо GаmеInfоrmеr mаgаzinе, Thе Rаinbоw Six Vеgаs(ААА gаmе frоm 2006) hаd 1,767,000 linеs оf соdе, а gаmе thаt is nоt оpеn wоrld, nо driving systеm, nо flying systеm, nо swimming systеm, shоrt stоry, а gаmе thаt dоеsn't hаvе а lоt оf rеасtiоns fоr thе NPСs аnd is frоm thе mid pаrt оf thе lаst dесаdе.
    Nоw соmpаrе it tо аn оpеn wоrld with аnimаl аnd humаn NPСs, swimming аnd flying аnd driving fеаturеs, HUGЕ аmоunt оf missiоns аnd а lоt mоrе thаt I саn sаy but I think I mаdе my pоint.
    А simplе еstimаtiоn will gеt yоu сlоsе tо thе numbеr I sаid +100 milliоn linеs.

2. krnd

krnd Member

To be fair a lot of this code is reused and will keep on being used and improved on for the future titles. After all, building it all from scratch wouldn't make sense and it'd be one of the worst practices in programming, they've done a great job when it comes to code quality as the amount of bugs for a game of such scale has not been nearly as big as expected!

3. raceman998

raceman998 Member

I agree with the fact the efficiency of the code matters more than the no of lines in the code. The developers reallly did an amazing job. +100 millons code for a single game is really amazing. I am impressed by this fact.

4. Norjak71

Norjak71 Member

This question is nearly impossible to answer, but if I had to give an honest opinion. Over a billion, possibly over 2 billion.

5. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

When you look at how long it takes Rockstar to release the games, it just shows how much work and effort they go to when it comes to the coding.

I'd be surprised if even Rockstar themselves know exactly just how many lines of coding is in the game, as you also have to look at the amount of DLC they produce aswell, and take that into account.

6. raceman998

raceman998 Member

Really? 2 Billion codes? How much time the developers took to make that game?

7. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

Well GTA V was being worked on from right after the last one came out, so all in all, you could say that Rockstar was developing the game for around 5 years altogether.

While I don't know how long it would take to write the code for a game as big as this, I'd imagine it would be a pretty long and drawn out process.

8. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

Quality of the game is hardly measurable in lines of code, and if you have a lot of lines of code and it's repetitive it means you're not modularizing your codebase, which is bad practice. I imagine the game is around 10 million lines of code, and even that is probably an exaggeration.

9. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

With GTA V being a sequel, then I'd imagine that Rock star would be able to utilise much of the code they used on the previous games also, so that would cut down on the amount of work they'd have to put in.

10. cyclistbabe

cyclistbabe New Member

Agreed. If you've ever written any level of code you know two billion is a gross exaggeration. For a game this complex and of this high quality to run so smoothly really relies on making the code as efficient as possible. And with two billion lines of code it would be virtually impossible to sort out bugs.

11. buster

buster New Member

I'm not into game dev, but isn't the "reused code" RAGE? The physics engine?

12. justrace

justrace Member

It is really an interesting fact. I am amazed by the hard work of GTA developers. They did one of the most amazing jobs in the gaming industry. I am really amazed by the RockStar team and I agree with the fact that we should appreciate them.

13. justrace

justrace Member

Actually, they have developed various software through wich they find out the bugs in the game. That is why you find only a few mistakes in the game. If the game is released without any filter, it will be full of mistakes.

14. AlexZ

AlexZ New Member

I don't really know what you mean but if you are talking about the overall game including the game engine used, the lines might possibly be running into millions.

15. AlexZ

AlexZ New Member

Considering that the game engine alone RAGE was built over a period of five years, so imagine about 1000 programmers working over a period of six years. Yeah it definitely runs into millions.

16. razer

razer Member

Popular answer : We have no idea because AFAIK none of us here participated in this game's development.

17. sidney

sidney Member

Lol, glad that I'm not alone, I also don't understand what they were talking about, lol.

18. razer

razer Member

I know, more or less, what they are talking about since I dabbled in programming a little. However, as I said, we have no idea how many lines of code make GTA V and trying to estimate it is just stupid.

19. kingcool52

kingcool52 Member

I presume there must be millions and millions of lines of code for the game. When you think about every thing in the game, you have to give credit to the development team that made Grand Theft Auto V because they really did think of everything. Imagine how many lines of code must have been needed for just every day interactions and the random events. I could not even imagine how many lines they would have to write.

20. pmk1996

pmk1996 Member

It's about 159 million lines if code. It took them 7 years to build the game.