Pokemon X and Y - what's the difference?

Discussion in 'Portable Gaming' started by Ghost Rider, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider Member

You know what? I've long been wondering why the heck does Nintendo always release two versions of a Pokemon game? This time, the newest Pokemon has X and Y versions. What the heck is the difference between these two versions? Someone enlighten me please?

2. jardantuan

jardantuan New Member

Well, assuming you've played any of them before, you'll know that there's a different set of exclusive Pokemon in either game. So, if you want to "catch 'em all", you've got to trade with friends that have the other version.

As far as I know, the reason for doing this was to promote playing with friends, and to try and make it more of a 'social' thing than playing alone. With the advent of trading online, you could argue that it's not really worth having two separate versions (since you can get hold of exclusives from the other version much easier now), so maybe they've kept releasing two versions since that's what they've always done.

With Pokemon X and Y, it's more of the same. Different Pokemon, a different 'flagship' Legendary Pokemon, and other smaller differences between the two. There's little reason to own both, unless you want to catch everything (and for some reason you can't trade with anybody).

Ghost Rider likes this.
  3. SpiralArchitect

SpiralArchitect Member

Its more of the same except for a new thing called mega evolution (or something) basically new evolutions for old pokemon. There are new evolutions for the likes of Charizard, Gengar and other old pokemon which were supposed to be fully evolved.

4. Rand paul

Rand paul Member

I think that the differences are very minimal.
    Whatever it was im sure some the boys above could explain it better

5. ddrmario123

ddrmario123 New Member

The only difference between X and Y are the type of Pokemon you can get in each. There are version exclusive Pokemon in each one. Also, the newest difference for this generation is that the mega evolutions are also different. If you look at my avatar that is the Pokemon X version evolution for Charizard, while Pokemon Y has another version of the mega evolution of Charizard.

6. erronousRogue

erronousRogue New Member

Same difference as always. Certain Pokémon are exclusive to either version, and it advocates trading with your friends to catch 'em all (hurr hurr).

Nintendo have been doing it for ages, it's basically a really clever marketing tactic that makes you depend on your friends in order to collect everything. Traded Pokémon also gain experience faster, don't obey you without certain badges, and have higher stats or something (haven't played it in a long time, not entirely sure).

7. Oakster

Oakster Member

Besides getting different Pokemon (maybe a set of 15-20 different ones between each version), you get a different Legendary Pokemon at the end of the storyline.
    Besides that, Charizard and Mewtwo get different Mega Evolutions depending on which version you buy, rule of thumb ins that X changes their typings and Y doesn't.
    Feel free to ask any other questions, I've got the game and finished it :)

Ghost Rider likes this.
  8. fireinyourwords

fireinyourwords Member

I have to confess, I've never beat a Pokemon game and I haven't played one in years, but I bit, and I ordered Pokemon X. I'm hoping it keeps my interest to completion and judging from the reviews, it should appeal to the 'casual player' like me. I don't really know which version, X or Y, has the Pokemon monsters I would like, but I liked the cover of X better.

9. Wick99

Wick99 Member

I believe they have extra things like mega evolutions and probably some new things like when the first DS ones came out they had that dancing competition thing.

10. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Member

They are minor things. Mostly pokemon spawns and the legendary you can get is different along with some other slight differences.

11. Oakster

Oakster Member

After a month, how did you find the game?
    You have probably finished it already I bet.