Playing PC racing games using a keyboard

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Ghost Rider, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider Member

I don't have a steering wheel for the PC. That's why when I play racing games on it? I control my car using the keyboard. It's not fun though. That's why I prefer consoles a lot more. The control scheme in console games is much more intuitive. What do you think?

2. rossonomous

rossonomous Member

I also use a keyboard when playing racing games onthe PC.Steering wheels are great fun though, but I want to get oner of the racing chairs and everything!

3. CelTek

CelTek Member

I've got an xbox 360 controller, it's wired, so it just plugs in to a USB slot. A lot of games seem to natively accept it. With that and TV-OUT (and a damn long HDMI cable) it's almost like I have a console :)

4. rossonomous

rossonomous Member

But then you're not PC gaming anymore!

That's the reason I won't connect a controller; I don't feel as if I am playing on the PC anymore

5. CelTek

CelTek Member

Oh get over yourself :p PCs still have (the potential to have) way more power these days than consoles. Some games just naturally lend themselves to using a controller. Also, it's much more convenient to pass a controller than it is to swap seats ;)

6. rossonomous

rossonomous Member

O PC's certainly are more powerful (and always will be), I'm not arguing that!

But I get your point, I guess I'm just one of those grumpy guys that sticks to my guns and want to play a PC how it is 'suppose' to be played :D

7. CelTek

CelTek Member

I was like you once....

There is no shame in plugging in a decent controller in to your pc. I know it might feel dirty at the time, but sometimes it just feels right y'know?

8. SpiralArchitect

SpiralArchitect Member

I used to do that too until my friends started creaming me in FIFA because they used the controller and I used the keyboard.

9. rossonomous

rossonomous Member

Haha, I can definitely see their being as slight disadvantage on your side there.

10. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

If I get the groove of the keyboard enough, I could see myself having fun with it, which is more than I could say for steering wheels because they just feel awkward to me without the resistance that a real arcade machine would give you. I don't know if newer versions of this accessory are closer, but otherwise I'd even prefer a keyboard to it, probably.

11. rossonomous

rossonomous Member

You just have to fork out a grand or two on a full racing seat with pedals, gear stick and wheel :p

12. wowtgp

wowtgp Member

I have had no issues with playing racing games with a keyboard. I always find it comfortable, but you know, playing racing games with a mouse and keyboard is not a good feeling. A controller is way better if you want to have an awesome experience.

13. phatboi

phatboi New Member

I just can't do it, the whole "on or off" feel of it means I can't be all that accurate.

Yeah I've dropped a bit of cash into my PC racing stuff (Logitech G25 and a wheel and pedal mount) but IMO it's totally worth the cash for added realism and feel. :)

14. xlzqwerty1

xlzqwerty1 Member

Playing Racing games on PC with the keyboard is fine. There's nothing wrong with it, except that the steering will be at a set turn-angle rate depending on how long you hold it; the angle is constant. Unlike an actual steering wheel, keyboards can't emulate how little or how much you are trying to turn. I'm not saying it's good to play with a keyboard, yes it's definitely possible, but I don't really recommend it.

15. Boundless

Boundless Member

I've always been using a keyboard and a mouse to play games on PC, never actually tried to play with joysticks. I usually play with joysticks only on my consoles.

16. Chaos

Chaos Member

I do the same thing even if I have a wheels and pedals I can't manage to properly control a car with them. I never played a racing game (excluding GTA) using a gamepad or joystick, a keyboard is more practical, more simple to steer with, and you can win race after race against any opponent with little practice.

17. rossonomous

rossonomous Member

The G25 is pretty fun and having a pedal mount too is great. Now to get the racing chair!

18. erronousRogue

erronousRogue New Member

Some games work better with certain input methods, even if it's the fault of lazy ports sometimes. Things like third person games with an external camera, or games that can use analog input better (fighting games, racing, topdown shooters, etc.) are generally best played on controllers, or better yet a specific input method if you can afford it, like fighting sticks or steering wheels.

You're fine with KB/M obviously, but it can be more enjoyable to use different control schemes depending on what you play.

19. jbepp

jbepp Member

I don't like playing racing games with a keyboard. I really like how easy is to control a car with an analog stick, so that's why I bought a 360 controller.
    Keyboard and mouse are excellent for FPS, TPS, MOBA, MMO, etc. but some games just play better with a controller.

20. Denis Hard

Denis Hard Member

But supposing you have a desire to play a racing game away from home and the only input method available is the keyboard, would you pass or use it anyway? Yes I admit it's hard to play a racing game using a keyboard but when circumstances demand that you do so, I'd go for it anyway.