PC gaming dead?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Brem, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Brem

Brem Member

Bah, it's not dead. This is the most annoying question I see asked on many forums. I wanted to start the topic myself just to get ahead of all of those who think PC gaming is dead.

Let me start by saying that PC gaming is not dead. Actually it's getting better because one: Mods and two: people are finally seeing how annoying console developers can be, yeah I'm looking at you Microsoft. But seriously, can you honestly say PC gaming is dead? If so, tell me why, thanks!

2. barneyjustice

barneyjustice New Member

PC gaming is a form of gaming which many consider a dying breed. With console gaming getting more and more popular, PC gaming appears to be on a decline.

3. rossonomous

rossonomous Member

This is a ridiculous statement!

People forget more about PC gaming due to things like new console releases; but the number of PC gamers there are is a massive amount. You'll never see PC gaming die out.

4. Jellyfish

Jellyfish Member

I still say that gaming on a pc is a bit different because of all the things you can only do on pcs. It's not dead and never will be, both types of gaming can coexist.

5. dailypost1

dailypost1 Member

PC gaming is the driving force of all kinds of gaming in the world. What keeps gaming alive these days? Yes, you are totally right, PC gaming does. Have you ever gone to your local PC gaming store? That proves PC gaming is alive and running. Nothing goes away until PC gaming is gone.

Hemingway likes this.
  6. Jellyfish

Jellyfish Member

Well, no. There have always been innovative things coming from consoles too. They are just different.

7. davidexct

davidexct Member

No, I don't think so, it is still not dead. PC gaming is still rising. We must always remember that a quality built PC is much faster than a console.

8. SpiralArchitect

SpiralArchitect Member

Meh. There is more focus on consoles right now because of the whole PS4, XBox One thing. Once the hype about that dies down, you'll realise that PC gaming is still going as strong as ever.

9. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

PC gaming will outlast consoles in the long run...

10. SpiralArchitect

SpiralArchitect Member

That's a ridiculous statement to make. There are still a lot of people who wait for PC versions and not directly buy console versions. With a PC you can do things that may not be possible on a console. FPS games are still better played on PCs than consoles.

PC gaming is not dying anytime soon.

11. rossonomous

rossonomous Member

Easily.

PC technology is also going to keep ahead of what is going into the consoles. You can easily upgrade what's in your PC to the most recent tech, but you can't do the same with consoles.

12. Jellyfish

Jellyfish Member

Actually I disagree. First these two gaming types were always coexisting. Look at consoles, they often have a different audience.

And second I just think it all grows together these days. I think the main difference will not be console or pc but mobile or stationary (gaming, internet, tv, household network with all things connected).

13. rossonomous

rossonomous Member

I'm talking more in terms of the fact that companies like Intel are releasing newer, stronger processors in the space of a few years. So are graphics cards producers. If you build your own machines then these opportunities to upgrade are really pretty easy to access and you can always be at the top. With consoles, you get a release every few years but the technology inside them never changes. On release it is very up-to-date but then is over-taken by PC's within a couple of years.

For these reasons, people cannot say that PC gaming is dead, or dying - The technology is always advancing with these things, so it's not going to lose it's gamer base.

Your point about mobile/stationary is a fair one. Nowadays, this is quite common to see where everything is connected together.

14. orz

orz Member

Definitely agree with everyone in this thread, the same people who say PC gaming is dying to consoles are the same people that are saying consoles are dying to portable devices. Different platforms have different appeals but for those with a serious interest in gaming who are a bit more "hardcore" will always be playing on PCs.

15. davis

davis Active Member

Can we just give it a rest already? PC game revenues are on a rise despite being cheaper and it's still the most used platform out there. If anything, consoles are struggling to keep up, but neither one is dying.

16. Denis Hard

Denis Hard Member

PC gaming can never die. People's tastes are different. The question therefore is not open-ended. As some of you mention, console games have co-existed with PC games.

Fact is not everyone who likes console games, likes PC games and vice versa. So, well. . .PC gaming is here to stay as long as the age of computers lasts.

17. Farseer

Farseer Member

I agree that PC gaming is the driving force - its the most dynamic 'console', it allows you to change everything easily, thus not needing any generations - you upgrade a single part of the PC when you need to. It is (and will be) the biggest of consoles, as people need PC to do things other than play (Or watch movies, in the new generation), and since they already bought a PC, they'll play on it. I believe some people think that PC gaming will die because of piracy, and how it hurts PC game developers, but I don't really agree with that, as the market is bigger and MP games usually have to be bought, if they have good security mechanisms.

18. abbyroal

abbyroal New Member

It's hard for me to imagine a world without PC gaming. There is no way people will stop using it for the consoles there are in the market today

19. aleks4775

aleks4775 Member

How on earth can PC Gaming be dead? I think that is a silly question to ask. If you look at the sales figures you can clearly see that PC Gaming industry is thriving. So long as everyone has computer Pc Gaming will exist. I think that console gaming is dying. Consoles are limiting gaming and I hate those joysticks they are so bad to control especially when playing FPS

20. xlzqwerty1

xlzqwerty1 Member

PC gaming is the basis that started all console gaming, so I don't see why people overstate that PC gaming is dead. Countless indie developers would go out of business, as PC is the easiest platform to support, mainly because games ARE created on the PC First before being ported to consoles. You can't develop a program straight out of the console. I believe it should be the opposite: PC gaming is on the rise. Recently I've had three classmates of mine asking me to help build them a new PC in preparation of the next-gen games and I happily agreed to help them.