Official Tournaments

Discussion in 'Sim Racing' started by spence88, Apr 1, 2016.

1. spence88

spence88 Member

Hi guys, I'm aware that most racing games have online tournaments, where there are leaderboards and such. But I'm talking about official tournaments for racing games with cash prizes where gamers around the world gather and compete for first place. It would be a blast to watch those races. Do you guys know any?

2. Denis Hard

Denis Hard Member

There's the esports WRC tournament which I read about back in January. I'm sure there are others but that's the only one I know of. To learn more just google "esports WRC rally" and you'll get all the info about it. Don't know if there is cash to be won though.

spence88 likes this.
  3. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

So far the most I heard of an official tournament is with rocket league although that's technically not a racing game. I'm sure there are a few out there but I don't hear of them as much as I do for MOBAs. I'll have to look it up as I'm sure there is a world out there that I'm missing out on.

spence88 likes this.
  4. ZXD123

ZXD123 Member

There used to be one all the time on Need for Speed World Online but since that game went RIP there is no such thing now. I miss World Online to be honest.

spence88 likes this.
  5. spence88

spence88 Member

I see I guess there are just so many racing games (and they often get replaced by a new version after only a short while) that there can't be a single "best" game that all gamers worldwide will agree to play for a long time. Organizers can't simply choose which game to setup a tournament.

pwarbi likes this.
  6. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I think you're right, and a lot of the tournaments will have to be game specific rather than just having one tournament that covers all racing games, as like you say, there's just too many.

There's rumours though that soon the next gen consoles will support online multi platform tournaments, so that might be something to look out for.

If you've got a PlayStation 4 and your friend as an Xbox ONE but you've both got the same racing game, you can go online and compete against each other on you're own specific console.

Should settle a few arguments as to who's the best at least!

spence88 likes this.
  7. spence88

spence88 Member

Ohh interconsole competition and online battles? Now we're talking! I can't imagine how it will work, but if they get Sony and Microsoft to work together in creating a shared network for gamers, then that would be absolutely great for everyone.

8. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I think this is the last main hurdle for creating mass tournaments as a standard for most games. If someone made an official one I bet it becomes a trend for all other games. Maybe they just have to take notes from how the fighting game tournaments do it.